Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Selective Coloring... my take

Default Re: Selective Coloring... my take

if i may contribute too...

i left the background layer colour. created a layer on top covert to BW. use lasso cut out which parts u want colour

and delete it away so after cutting away the BW part in the BW layer you get colour parts from the layer reviewed under.

strategic emplacements

that's what i do too! but i dont use lasso cut, i use eraser. that's why those pic i PS got abit of the colour at the surroundings of my subject. need to visit the darkroom more often learn how to use PS more.
    One day you'll see.

Quote Originally Posted by hidden3 View Post
    that's what i do too! but i dont use lasso cut, i use eraser. that's why those pic i PS got abit of the colour at the surroundings of my subject. need to visit the darkroom more often learn how to use PS more.
    Perhaps using a brush with a higher brush hardness setting will help to define the edge? The problem with the eraser and lasso cut technique is it's destructive, whereas masking is non-destructive.

Quote Originally Posted by calebk View Post
    Perhaps using a brush with a higher brush hardness setting will help to define the edge? The problem with the eraser and lasso cut technique is it's destructive, whereas masking is non-destructive.
    wad u mean by destructive?

Quote Originally Posted by noob117 View Post
    wad u mean by destructive?
    If I accidentally erase an area that I want coloured, from the colour layer, then the only way I can get it back is via the History palette.

If I went too many steps ahead, then realised my mistake, I can't rescue it anymore, hence the word 'destructive'.

If I accidentally mask an area than I want coloured, from the colour layer, I can still unmask it by using an inverted colour brush.

oic i get you.

Quote Originally Posted by calebk View Post
    If I accidentally erase an area that I want coloured, from the colour layer, then the only way I can get it back is via the History palette.

If I went too many steps ahead, then realised my mistake, I can't rescue it anymore, hence the word 'destructive'.

If I accidentally mask an area than I want coloured, from the colour layer, I can still unmask it by using an inverted colour brush.
    Just create a duplicate layer(s) and work on that/those. Leave your original intact, that way, whatever method you use is non-destructive.

Masking has its issues if its a very soft-edged subject, you can never mask it properly without a lot of skill and practice. The eraser helps resolve that most of the time.

Quote Originally Posted by KangS View Post
    Just create a duplicate layer(s) and work on that/those. Leave your original intact, that way, whatever method you use is non-destructive.

Masking has its issues if its a very soft-edged subject, you can never mask it properly without a lot of skill and practice. The eraser helps resolve that most of the time.
    You are right bro, that's what I do, create new layer thus leaving the original intact and you can play around with the copied layer.
    Well, I believe the key here whatever the method is practice as both needs precision as well as patience.

Quote Originally Posted by KangS View Post

If I am not wrong, the eraser and paint brush share the same brush selection(brush type, opacity, etc). So if you can use the eraser to erase the unwanted areas, you sure can use the paint brush to do the masking.

The advantage of masking is that it saves you time. Just invert the colours and paint it back. Definately faster than using a duplicate layer as backup.

My 2 cents.

Nice shots! i always use this method to deal with photos with wrong exposure. turn them into ncie photos
    - It's the eye behind the view finder that matters -
    Tauhu's Albums

Quote Originally Posted by tauhu View Post
    Nice shots! i always use this method to deal with photos with wrong exposure. turn them into ncie photos
    I have to say I don't agree on this. I don't know about you guys but I shoot selective colour photos with the end product already in mind.

I've shared this before elsewhere on the forum, that IMHO, there are two main types of PP

1) Rescue-the-horrible-photo
    2) Bring out the best in this good photo

Anyways, here's more selective colouring for your viewing pleasure.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123