Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 21

Thread: Trip to Bangkok

  1. #1
    Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    central
    Posts
    508

    Arrow Trip to Bangkok

    Am planning a trip to Bangkok soon. Any suggestions of reasonably priced eating places and interesting shopping malls. Are taxi's expensive? How's to tuk- tuk and mrt? What are the prices like? What is there to buy? Oh yes, very importantly, where are good places to take photos. ?
    I'm here to learn.:flame:

  2. #2
    Senior Member Kit's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2002
    Location
    Upper Bukit Timah
    Posts
    11,650

    Default Re: Trip to Bangkok

    If you're there for shopping, then the usual... MBK, Siam Sq, Discovery Centre, Paragon, Chatuchat, etc. For more upmarket shopping, can go to Gaysorn. Food is everywhere. Typically, a meal at a cafe in the shopping mall would cost you about $5 to $7. Forget about the cabs if you are limiting yourself to the downtown areas, especially around the shopping areas. These places are accessible by the BTS skytrains. I'm not a good shopper so let the shoppers here guide you. Photo taking opportunities are abound, just depends on how keen an eye you have for opportunities.

  3. #3

    Default Re: Trip to Bangkok

    Eating places - compared to Singapore most places are reasonably priced. =D

    Shopping mall wise, MBK is big, but slightly less cheap (I hesitate to use the word more expensive) than some other places, you might want to visit some of the pasar malam style markets if you want real bargains.

    Taxis are dirt-cheap, imho, and while the tuk-tuk is kinda fun, and almost a must-have experience, I would suggest for your safety, you ride it once and use taxis most of the time. Never did take the MRT when I was there.

    Things to buy - mainly clothes, costume jewellery, imitation goods if you're into that. Quite a lot of stuff, actually.

    As for photogenic locations, I'm not sure, when I was last there hadn't taken up photography yet, but from what I see, a common location would be the temples. Street photography done there can be pretty good too (meaning everywhere, hehe).

    Anyways, google is your best friend!
    Last edited by night86mare; 8th March 2007 at 10:28 AM.

  4. #4
    Senior Member Kit's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2002
    Location
    Upper Bukit Timah
    Posts
    11,650

    Default Re: Trip to Bangkok

    Quote Originally Posted by night86mare View Post
    the tuk-tuk is kinda fun, and almost a must-have experience, I would suggest for your safety, you ride it once and use taxis most of the time. Never did take the MRT when I was there.
    I did saw some on the road but feels like they are getting lesser and harder to come by now...

    Another great place to go is Suan Loong(sp) night market. Its like a mini size Chatuchat but cleaner. Prices are higher but since it opens only at night, its a lot comfortable place to visit. Much cooler. Great variety of food.

  5. #5
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2002
    Location
    Astin Studio
    Posts
    4,736

    Default Re: Trip to Bangkok

    The classic tourist places to take photos are the usual ones:
    - Grand Palace
    - China town
    - Sleeping Budda temple, Golden Budda temple, Jade Budda temple, many other temples
    - Choa Praya river, and morning floating market
    - Chatuchat market on weekend

    And if you go there in May/Dec, they usually have motorshows, much more exciting than the Singapore ones...

  6. #6

    Default Re: Trip to Bangkok

    Quote Originally Posted by Kit View Post
    I did saw some on the road but feels like they are getting lesser and harder to come by now...

    Another great place to go is Suan Loong(sp) night market. Its like a mini size Chatuchat but cleaner. Prices are higher but since it opens only at night, its a lot comfortable place to visit. Much cooler. Great variety of food.
    I guess not that lucrative to be a tuk-tuk driver.. =D

    Suan Lum night market I think. Yeah, I like that place too, but the bargain hunters will frown at it.

  7. #7
    Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    singapura
    Posts
    241

    Default Re: Trip to Bangkok

    Quote Originally Posted by dancemania View Post
    Am planning a trip to Bangkok soon. Any suggestions of reasonably priced eating places and interesting shopping malls. Are taxi's expensive? How's to tuk- tuk and mrt? What are the prices like? What is there to buy? Oh yes, very importantly, where are good places to take photos. ?

    everything abt shopping has been mentioned aboved so i shall skip on tat... one point to note is if ur travelling bt taxi make sure the taxi goes by the "taxi meter" drivers who refuse to use the taxi meter usually over charge ard 100~200bhts. forget abt it if they dun go by taxi meter, just skip to the next cab. and for places to take photos?? i would suggest roadside stalls and their local wet markets.
    Last edited by AQVA; 8th March 2007 at 10:47 AM.

  8. #8

    Default Re: Trip to Bangkok

    Quote Originally Posted by AQVA View Post
    everything abt shopping has been mentioned aboved so i shall skip on tat... one point to note is if ur travelling bt taxi make sure the taxi goes by the "taxi meter" drivers who refuse to use the taxi meter usually over charge ard 100~200bhts. forget abt it if they dun go by taxi meter, just skip to the next cab. and for places to take photos?? i would suggest roadside stalls and their local wet markets.
    Very true.

    Go meter, meter good. No meter confirm chop you.

    In any case, it's Bangkok. At some timings, if the place you're headed to isn't too far away, walking can be faster than taking cab. =D Especially during workday mornings.

  9. #9

    Default Re: Trip to Bangkok

    If you're not familiar with Thailand/Bangkok, take a joy ride on the tuktuk, they're fun especially if the driver's a tad crazy. Otherwise don't take one especially for long trips during the day coz it gets bloody hot; worse if you're caught in one of the jams.

    Food wise, be adventurous and go for the roadside stall & the rivermarket stalls, they're cheap & delicious. No problems all these years of eating in Thailand.

    Shopping is all very personal, so just browse. If you see something you like, take note of the location (just in case), but most of the time you'll be able to find the same thing elsewhere (probably cheaper). Unless you have something specific in mind, there are just too many places to recommend. Chatuchat is something like the old geylang market, just a lot bigger & very very crowded. Clothes, bags etc just a tad cheaper if you bargain with them, but just don't go overboard.

    Phototaking opportunites are almost everywhere in Thailand. Personally I feel that there are too many wats to the point that I get bored after going to a couple. I still love their slogan "Land of a thousand smiles" after all these years coz their smiles are so genuine.

    Generally Thais are really helpful, but because you're a big city, a lot of them are very westernised so don't let your guard down too much.
    Last edited by nikonrus; 8th March 2007 at 11:34 AM.

  10. #10

    Default Re: Trip to Bangkok

    Just dont mention you are Singaporean.... Anti Singaporean sentiments on the rise.....

  11. #11
    Senior Member Kit's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2002
    Location
    Upper Bukit Timah
    Posts
    11,650

    Default Re: Trip to Bangkok

    Did you experienced that first hand or did you hear from the neighbour's 3rd aunty's sister's mother-in-law's god brother's girlfriend's cousin's eldest son's college's neighbour's 3rd aunty's sister's mother-in-law's god brother's girlfriend's cousin's eldest son's college's.......

  12. #12

    Default Re: Trip to Bangkok

    Quote Originally Posted by centuryegg View Post
    Just dont mention you are Singaporean.... Anti Singaporean sentiments on the rise.....
    why ?
    AMPA * WPPI * J team

  13. #13
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Raffles Place
    Posts
    1,808

    Default Re: Trip to Bangkok

    Quote Originally Posted by KNIGHT ONG View Post
    why ?
    it is because of Shin Corp deal and Asean Cup...

  14. #14
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    sewage drain/manhole
    Posts
    5,011

    Default Re: Trip to Bangkok

    Just back from there no problem at all.

  15. #15

    Default Re: Trip to Bangkok

    Quote Originally Posted by centuryegg View Post
    Just dont mention you are Singaporean.... Anti Singaporean sentiments on the rise.....
    I seriously doubt it. Thailand is actually a very peaceful place.

    Of course if you announce you're Singaporean wherever you go, that's inviting trouble. But then, not like you would look like a local in the first place anyways.

  16. #16

    Default Re: Trip to Bangkok

    Quote Originally Posted by night86mare View Post
    I seriously doubt it. Thailand is actually a very peaceful place.

    Of course if you announce you're Singaporean wherever you go, that's inviting trouble. But then, not like you would look like a local in the first place anyways.

    Ya lor.... one can always say s/he from M'sia!!
    Malaysian Chinese lah.

    Msia and thailand now good relations!


  17. #17

    Default Re: Trip to Bangkok

    Quote Originally Posted by centuryegg View Post
    Just dont mention you are Singaporean.... Anti Singaporean sentiments on the rise.....
    Wat you smoking ah? Later police come find you then you in trouble!
    The locals all know I from sg and they love me all the more cos they assume I'll spend more than Malaysians. Unfortunately the opposite is true for my case.

  18. #18
    Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Stad van Manneken Pis
    Posts
    561

    Default Re: Trip to Bangkok

    Quote Originally Posted by nikonrus View Post
    Wat you smoking ah? Later police come find you then you in trouble!
    The locals all know I from sg and they love me all the more cos they assume I'll spend more than Malaysians. Unfortunately the opposite is true for my case.
    haha why change a good impression?
    Come visit my Flickr :)

  19. #19

    Default Re: Trip to Bangkok

    Try to stay near to sky train or MRT. Go to their tourist centre to get the BK map.

    For more bangkok trip, refer to this HWZ thread.
    Last edited by megaweb; 9th March 2007 at 02:15 PM.
    See my Photo Gallery at the Clubsnap

  20. #20
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Raffles Place
    Posts
    1,808

    Default Re: Trip to Bangkok

    Quote Originally Posted by nikonrus View Post
    Wat you smoking ah? Later police come find you then you in trouble!
    The locals all know I from sg and they love me all the more cos they assume I'll spend more than Malaysians. Unfortunately the opposite is true for my case.
    Most Thais (not all) are peace loving people due to their strong Buddhist culture. When u do a "wai" hand sign to them for thank you and hello... they will do the same. I like this ! That's why i gave tips generously to them.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •