Thread: Antarctica 2007 What Worked? What Didn't

Default Antarctica 2007 What Worked? What Didn't

came across this, scroll down for Canon & Nikon

http://www.luminous-landscape.com/es...7-worked.shtml
    Last edited by netidolweb; 8th March 2007 at 09:39 AM.

Default Re: Antarctica 2007 What Worked? What Didn't

Quote Originally Posted by netidolweb View Post
    came across this, scroll down for Canon & Nikon

http://www.luminous-landscape.com/es...7-worked.shtml
    Well, the author of the page already stated that it's due to Statistics.. 85% were using Canon...

But even then, I'm impressed that there are quite a few other cameras which survived well...

An unfair comparision as stated by the author in the end. Even a Leica can fail too.
    Canon 80D|Panasonic LX3/LX5
    35f2 IS|50f1.8|85f1.8|12-24f4|18-135f4-5.6 IS|28-75f2.8

I won't enter the debate, but the partisan bikkering online over this is quite astonishing. What I will add are two comments.

1: We were unprepared for rain that day in South Georgia. We found ourselves ashore, it started to rain, and we kept shooting. None of us had anything more than a hand towl or plastic bag for protection of our equipment. There was nowhere to go for shelter, and short of leaving our cameras in their bags nothing to do except keep shooting in an extraordinary environment.

2: If there had been 45 Nikon and 5 Canons in use, rather than the other way round, I think it likely that the shoe would have been on the other foot.

I have used my Canon 1Ds and 1Ds MKII in snow stroms, dust storms, heavy rain and worse. I've never had one die. Similarly in past years with Nikon gear. On my trip to Namibia last year the front element fell off a Hasselblad lens on its third day of use. The same thing happened to a new Canon 24-70mm f/2.8L on a shoot in Costa Rica a few years ago.

Pros and ardent amateurs use their equipment in all sorts of conditions, sometimes harshly, and sometimes not. But gear does fail. Sometimes its the elements, sometimes abuse, and yes, sometimes poor craftsmanship and materials. But no one should draw any unwarrented conclusions from this report. There just arent enough facts available, and the sample was highly scewed statistically."
    nuff said.

I think moral of the story is, equipment can and does fail, regardless of brand name. The best way to safe guard oneself on such trips to harsh environments is to bring adequate backup (of everything if possible) and protective gears for your equipment.

Its a good article... extreme condition is always tough on camera gears. Its interesting to note that Photorescue seems to be quite good in recovering files. Would be nice to go on one of these expeditions... pretty expensive though....5 figure sum!

Quote Originally Posted by Garion View Post
    I think moral of the story is, equipment can and does fail, regardless of brand name. The best way to safe guard oneself on such trips to harsh environments is to bring adequate backup (of everything if possible) and protective gears for your equipment.
    regardless of brands, models or weather sealing or not also

Back up equipment is a must for important shoot I always bring my film SLR during my trip.