Thread: Help pls on Exposure Locked? at M

Default Help pls on Exposure Locked? at M

Recently I bought a new 2nd hand lens 28-135 IS USM, the seller was showing me "The Newb" on the quality of the lens and some techniques.

After then back home, I realise that all my shots in M mode was screw'd (BlackOut), noticing that the exposure was somehow or rather always lock'd at -2, No issue in other modes... Really need help on what's happening - is the Exposure setting locked somehow or?

Tried with my Kit Lens - same issue. (Locked at -2)

Default Re: Help pls on Exposure Locked? at M

are u shooting with a very high shutter speed or small aperture?
    in M, the camera does nothing to set the exposure for you, it only gives you a rough gauge of the current exposure, but it is up to you to set it.

Note that if you were shooting indoors under artificial light with say iso400, you may well need a shutter speed of 1/10 or slower esp @ small apertures. Everything is "black" because of gross underexposure.

Try shooting @ iso800 1/10, f5.6, it should give you some kind of pic.. of course this depends on your ambient lighting

Quote Originally Posted by scenar View Post
    are u shooting with a very high shutter speed or small aperture?
    in M, the camera does nothing to set the exposure for you, it only gives you a rough gauge of the current exposure, but it is up to you to set it.

Note that if you were shooting indoors under artificial light with say iso400, you may well need a shutter speed of 1/10 or slower esp @ small apertures. Everything is "black" because of gross underexposure.

Try shooting @ iso800 1/10, f5.6, it should give you some kind of pic.. of course this depends on your ambient lighting

Thanks dude for the Early Morning help :O I was newb'd (Freak) out for a while, well need to find more references on Shutter, Apertures & ISO's.

at M, the exposure does not lock.. what happens is that for ur cam, the lowest exposure indicator is -2... however, ur settings are so underexposed that the camera cannot go any lower, and it seems to lock... the actual exposure could be -3 or -5... which results in a black screen... tune ur settings to increase exposure with one or a combination of the following methods...

1) decrease shutter speed... more time for exposure and more light absorbed...
    2) use the max aperture, ie biggest hole... allows more light in...
    3) increase iso...
    4) increase the amount of ambient light in the room....
    5) use a flash
    Canon EOS 30D w/ grip 580EX, Tamron 28-75mm f/2.8, EF-S 10-22mm
    :bsmilie:

Guess you must not have used film SLR before. try the library to learn more about the fundamentals of photography. You could also read your manual, on the Manual mode, for more info. Like Adelfin says, you can adjust both combinations of ISO, Shutter speed and aperture to get the right exposure for your photos. The camera metering bar in your viewfinder would give you an indication before you press the shutter.
    "Photography is an austere and blazing poetry of the real" -Ansel Adams

Quote Originally Posted by blive View Post
    Guess you must not have used film SLR before. try the library to learn more about the fundamentals of photography. You could also read your manual, on the Manual mode, for more info. Like Adelfin says, you can adjust both combinations of ISO, Shutter speed and aperture to get the right exposure for your photos. The camera metering bar in your viewfinder would give you an indication before you press the shutter.
    Yeah - New hobby - Been looking up on eBooks lately - starting slowly but progressively, have to really shoot, trial, reference and compare... But its Fun :O

Thanks for the advise
    ps. that's why i'm on ClubSnap "Suck all e Juice of Photography & DIgest".