JAKARTA : Dozens of people burned to death and many others were injured after an Indonesian plane burst into flames on landing in the central city of Yogyakarta on Wednesday, officials said.

"I saw many bodies, dozens of bodies badly burnt near the exit," Captain Yos Bintoro, an airport official, told Elshinta radio, after the accident involving a plane operated by Garuda Indonesia.

"I saw people dead in the cockpit. I cannot say if that's the pilot or co-pilot," he said.

There were 76 survivors following the accident, Indonesia's Minister of Transport Hatta Rajasa told Indonesia's Metro TV station.

Dozens of injured have been taken to hospital, reports said.

"16 people were brought into the hospital, with injuries ranging from bad to minor," Paulus, from the Panti Rini hospital, told ElShinta.

Around 50 injured people had been taken to a separate, air force hospital near the airport, a Metro TV report said.

Australian journalists and diplomatic staff were on board, officials and reports said.

There were in total 133 passengers on the plane, excluding crew, the state Antara news agency said, while another report described the aircraft as a Boeing 737-400.

Indonesian airlines have come under closer scrutiny since a plane operated by local carrier Adam Air crashed in the sea on New Year's Day.

None of the 102 people on board are thought to have survived.

The country has also suffered two major ferry disasters recently.

The death toll from recent accidents has prompted a review of transport safety. - AFP/ch

News taken from:http://www.channelnewsasia.com/stories/afp_asiapacific/view/262476/1/.html