Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 22

Thread: Improving Macro

  1. #1
    Sphoenix
    Guests

    Default Improving Macro

    Hey guys after the water drop "challenge" brought up by ckiang and simon, i realised that the macro performance of my oly camera is about average in terms of distance to subject. Oly specs puts it at 20cm. This will mean that I'll be too far away from the water droplet. So my questions then are:

    How close did you guys get to the water droplet? 6 cm for the g2? what about the nikon coolpix?

    What was the zoom? Full wide, full tele or somewhere in between...

    With close up filters will I be able to get the shot of the water droplet? What +? will I need? +4? is it better to buy in a set or will it suffice to buy just a +4? heard that it's about $15

  2. #2
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2002
    Location
    Singapore, Singapore, Singapor
    Posts
    6,405

    Default Re: Improving Macro

    Originally posted by Sphoenix
    Hey guys after the water drop "challenge" brought up by ckiang and simon, i realised that the macro performance of my oly camera is about average in terms of distance to subject. Oly specs puts it at 20cm. This will mean that I'll be too far away from the water droplet. So my questions then are:

    How close did you guys get to the water droplet? 6 cm for the g2? what about the nikon coolpix?

    What was the zoom? Full wide, full tele or somewhere in between...

    With close up filters will I be able to get the shot of the water droplet? What +? will I need? +4? is it better to buy in a set or will it suffice to buy just a +4? heard that it's about $15

    The Coolpix 9xx can go up to about 2cm. Of course, for that shot, this is still not enough magnification. Forgot to mention that it was cropped.

    Regards
    CK

  3. #3
    Sphoenix
    Guests

    Default Re: Re: Improving Macro

    Originally posted by ckiang



    The Coolpix 9xx can go up to about 2cm. Of course, for that shot, this is still not enough magnification. Forgot to mention that it was cropped.

    Regards
    CK
    Thanks for the reply. Wow 2cm !!! Hmm with some tricks I can get the oly to autofocus to about maybe 6 cm a great improvement over the original specs still not good enough for the water drop then??

    Say so will a closeup filter help? +4?

  4. #4

    Default

    I have a question.

    Is there a great difference btw using a hoya and a B+W +4 close up filter, besides the price difference? (clouseup filter = magnifiying glass right? )

    Also, any other method to take good macros (without changing lenses/cams)?

    I am using a sony F707.

    Thanks.

  5. #5

    Default Re: Re: Re: Improving Macro

    Originally posted by Sphoenix


    Thanks for the reply. Wow 2cm !!! Hmm with some tricks I can get the oly to autofocus to about maybe 6 cm a great improvement over the original specs still not good enough for the water drop then??

    Say so will a closeup filter help? +4?
    How you do the trick? Is it the zoom out bit by bit 4 times trick?

    Thanks!

  6. #6

    Default

    Originally posted by Zoomer
    Also, any other method to take good macros (without changing lenses/cams)?

    I am using a sony F707.

    Thanks.
    Join megaweb on one of those trips to Botanical Garden. Sure can improve your macro skills.

  7. #7
    Sphoenix
    Guests

    Default Re: Re: Re: Re: Improving Macro

    Originally posted by Blitz


    How you do the trick? Is it the zoom out bit by bit 4 times trick?

    Thanks!
    Well your description is not quite accurate but accurate enough for me to believe that you know the trick I'm refering to

  8. #8

    Default Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Improving Macro

    Originally posted by Sphoenix


    Well your description is not quite accurate but accurate enough for me to believe that you know the trick I'm refering to
    Heh heh pai seh ah

    Anyway u manage to get it to work? I can't though but sometimes all of a sudden I can close in smaller than 20 cm and the cam can focus My cam is C2040Z

    What did u roughly do ah, can teach me?

    Thanks!

  9. #9

    Default

    Originally posted by azone


    Join megaweb on one of those trips to Botanical Garden. Sure can improve your macro skills.
    Okie lor. See when lor.

  10. #10
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2002
    Location
    Singapore, Singapore, Singapor
    Posts
    6,405

    Default Re: Re: Re: Improving Macro

    Originally posted by Sphoenix


    Thanks for the reply. Wow 2cm !!! Hmm with some tricks I can get the oly to autofocus to about maybe 6 cm a great improvement over the original specs still not good enough for the water drop then??

    Say so will a closeup filter help? +4?
    I have not used them, but I think they should help in getting the magnification you want. They are a cheap way to get into macro photography.

    Regards
    CK

  11. #11

    Default

    join me ..... I will show you how ...
    See my Photo Gallery at the Clubsnap

  12. #12
    Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2002
    Location
    Pasir Ris
    Posts
    148

    Default

    A sample of using +4 Hoya filter.


  13. #13
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2002
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    12,938

    Default

    Originally posted by megaweb
    join me ..... I will show you how ...
    The King has spoken

    Anyway, for the C2040, the close-up filter will allow you to focus closer under macro mode.
    Check out my wildlife pics at www.instagram.com/conrad_nature

  14. #14
    Sphoenix
    Guests

    Default 6 cm Macro trick

    Originally posted by Blitz


    Heh heh pai seh ah

    Anyway u manage to get it to work? I can't though but sometimes all of a sudden I can close in smaller than 20 cm and the cam can focus My cam is C2040Z

    What did u roughly do ah, can teach me?

    Thanks!
    Ok roughly teach sure...lazy to type a lot yah...

    - position camera about 6 cm away from subject. full tele into subject.
    - camera should have lcd, af & macro mode on. btw noticed that i've greater success with flash set to auto. haven't verified whether this is truly necessary yet.
    - then "zoom" the camera back wide a little at a time, allowing the auto focus to do its stuff. you can move the camera a little forwards/backwards to aid in focussing.
    - somewhere perhaps after the third "zoom" back wide the auto focus will suddenly be able to focus and bring the subject clearly into view.

    HTH
    Last edited by Sphoenix; 17th March 2002 at 07:55 PM.

  15. #15
    Sphoenix
    Guests

    Default

    Originally posted by mpenza


    The King has spoken

    Anyway, for the C2040, the close-up filter will allow you to focus closer under macro mode.
    Wondering how much closer. Oly specs puts macro mode at 20cm so with a +4 filter how close can I get?

    Would love to join you guys on a photo outing. Must be more in sync. thus far busy.

    cheers

  16. #16
    Sphoenix
    Guests

    Default

    Success at last. See my new avatar...

  17. #17

    Default

    erm...is there a marco filter 35mm one?

  18. #18
    Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2002
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    223

    Default

    +4 close-up filter is one or 4 filters combine together?

  19. #19
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2002
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    12,938

    Default

    Originally posted by makan007
    +4 close-up filter is one or 4 filters combine together?
    can be 1, 2, 3 or 4 combined.
    Check out my wildlife pics at www.instagram.com/conrad_nature

  20. #20
    Sphoenix
    Guests

    Default

    Did it again

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •