Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

Thread: which car is the most fuel efficient?

Default Re: which car is the most fuel efficient?

Quote Originally Posted by kayster View Post
    well, not to forget that Honda Airwave is 1.5L VETC Engine.. better power, better F.C... it was rated with 18km/L, but i think that was done on straight road.. in Singapore, most pple getting about 14-15l/km.. Plus it has so much space in the cabin...
    Manufacturer's specification is tested base on don't-know-what environment. You are right, it is hard to believe it can achieve 18km/l in day to day use. VTEC engine is not really great in FC, but got that power at high RPM. Again you have to be a gentle driver to get 14-15L/KM. The current City iDSI I own (my wife is using it) is my 3rd Honda. She is achieving 15km/l consistently depite her heavy footed, yes she is. Prior to that I have owed Honda Stream 1.7L (10km/l) and Civic 1.5L (9.5km/l). I am habitually a traffic light racer and always rushing for appointment so my FC is a bad benchmark.

BTW, Jazz iDSI is rated by JD Power as the most economical small family car. I bought the City iDSI (same engine) as a result of reading this report. The City live up to the expectation on low FC.

What about the Toyota Yaris?

Quote Originally Posted by Lmodel View Post
    No Nox and CO meaning one will not die by linkin a hose frm the exhaust of a diesel engine vehicle into the cabin with the windows close?
    theoretically correct.. gases produced by diesel includes
    Carbon Dioxide (CO2)
    Carbon Monoxide (CO)
    Nitrogen Oxides (NOx)
    Hydrocarbons (short-form:HC)

of these, CO, HC, and NOx are harmful to humans. CO2 is a greenhouse gas that affects the environment. Of which.. CO is the main culprit to deaths in vehicles.

All diesel vehicles in sg are at least EU2 compliant from 1 Jan 2001 . EU4 from 1 Oct 06.

Take a look at the EU Directive for exhuast emissions.

Diesel requirement for CO is 50% of petrol. Notice the bigger the type of vehicle, petrol produces MORE CO than diesel.. which is rather constant.

Basically, it means yes, sooner or later you will die from CO poisoning but it'll take more than double the time for you to die from CO poisoning from diesel exhaust, probably more likely due to oxygen deprievation (suffocation) as the air inside is displaced with oxygen poor exhaust.
    “How fortunate for leaders that men do not think.” - Adolf Hitler

Quote Originally Posted by wrx_sti_22b View Post
    I have not seen a Honda Jazz manual before. All i see is CVT auto one...

Which Honda Jazz the back is disc brakes instead of drum brakes? Is it 1500cc model?
    Kah Motor sells both Auto and Manual. Manual $1k less than Auto.

If I am not mistaken Jazz is all drum brakes at the back. If there are disk brakes at the back then it is probably a convert. This can be done. Just need $$$. A car shop in Ubi sells a conversion kit for $1700.

Quote Originally Posted by night86mare View Post
    Japan engines tend to be more efficient.
    Just steer clear of brands like Hyundai, etc.. And stick to Honda/Nissan/Toyota shouldn't be too far off the mark.
    Actually Nissan is not very fuel efficient. Honda Jazz wins hands down, if you can see yourself driving one...

Quote Originally Posted by yanyewkay View Post
    emmission from the burning of diesel will not produce NOx and CO like petrol does.
    theoretically correct.. gases produced by diesel includes
    Carbon Dioxide (CO2)
    Carbon Monoxide (CO)
    Nitrogen Oxides (NOx)
    Hydrocarbons (short-form:HC)
    Abit contradicting...

Anyway, I'm bad in science!

Abit contradicting...
    Anyway, I'm bad in science!
    Guess I got to rephrase it.. I'm not saying diesel does not produce harmfull emissions at all I'm saying it does not produce as much as the way petrol does.

there are diesel and petrol supporters. I like diesel for it's great FC and tremendous torque but too bad they don't have diesel engines for my NC23

Guess I got to rephrase it.. I'm not saying diesel does not produce harmfull emissions at all I'm saying it does not produce as much as the way petrol does.

there are diesel and petrol supporters. I like diesel for it's great FC and tremendous torque but too bad they don't have diesel engines for my NC23
    Probably you will not like to get a diesel engine for your NC23 as well. Imagine going for LTA inspection every 6 mths (for over 10 yrs old)..

Quote Originally Posted by Wai View Post
    There is car version for the doblo (7 seaters) using the same 1.9L turbo engine and same chassis, you can import it if you are willing to pay the $

There are also other diesel cars on the street with equally good fuel efficiency, provided that you are willing to pay the additional tax
    Wooo... a fellow Fiat driver.

Too bad the gov did not allow private diesel passenger cars. Otherwise, I might have gone for the 1.9 JTD version of the Grande Punto.

BC

Quote Originally Posted by Scaglietti View Post
    Wooo... a fellow Fiat driver.

Too bad the gov did not allow private diesel passenger cars. Otherwise, I might have gone for the 1.9 JTD version of the Grande Punto.

BC
    just reg a coy then.

Driving a Jazz 1.4A since 2005, FC is around 15-16.5 km/l. My usage is around 65% express way and 35% normal road.

Btw, i'm usually easy on the rev and i don't turn the aircon full blast. I don't think i will be able reach 15km/l if i step hard and blast the aircon. The Jazz is a bit noisy but it isn't that bad.

Cheers,

Quote Originally Posted by tiong78 View Post
    just reg a coy then.
    I don't want a Doblo... I wan a diesel Punto...

But... I heard that there is a review on-going regarding the regulations of diesel engines for passenger cars. There are a few implecation that have to reviewed... e.g. impact on diesel prices, etc.

BC

I saw yellow top taxi got Fiat Doblo & Fiat Croma.

That's if you are talking about Euro 4 engine. Imagine if the government allows Euro I and II engines to be registered as passenger cars back then or even during the early days when there is no spec standards, would you agree with me that the air index is higher?

Also, do you agree that comparing a 5 yrs old diesel engine and petrol engine (from the same manufacturer) clocking 100,000km with no major maintenance carried out, the diesel engine defintely produce more emission, soot, etc.?

Diesel engine technology has much improved compared to yerter-years. Else why only taxi having diesel engine and not private cars? Just that you need to pay more $$ for petrol cost....you got it?

Quote Originally Posted by Teo View Post
    Diesel engine technology has much improved compared to yerter-years. Else why only taxi having diesel engine and not private cars? Just that you need to pay more $$ for petrol cost....you got it?
    Sorry, I dun get it coz your statement is abit contradicting... Don't really get what you trying to say.

Agree that diesel technology has improved but if that's what you meant, then why only taxi and not pte cars? We pay more money for petrol and point is...?

Previously the regulation restricting diesel just to comercial vehicles may be due to environmental concerns. However, the diesel engines in modern days are becoming very efficient and in many cases can be more environmental friendly than the petrol counterparts.

There may be 2 concerns here. One is of the economics for fuel prices. More demand of diesel may drive the cost of diesel up and impact the economy and businesses. The second is to ensure regular maintenance of diesel engines to retain its efficiency. Unmaintained diesel can be worse off environmentally.

BC

actually, the govnt is well aware of the environmental advantages of diesel. from what i understand, its not that they dont want to allow private diesel cars, its just that if they were to do so, they would need to revamp the current tax structure for it, so its more a financial/ economic thing than an environmental issue.

Quote Originally Posted by jdredd View Post
    actually, the govnt is well aware of the environmental advantages of diesel. from what i understand, its not that they dont want to allow private diesel cars, its just that if they were to do so, they would need to revamp the current tax structure for it, so its more a financial/ economic thing than an environmental issue.
    You hit the nail spot on.

There was a presentation by Bosch (last year I think) to show NEA (and LTA as well I think) the benefits of diesel and to promote and push for diesel cars into SG. Regardless of the numerous advantages of diesel over petrol and the potential long term positive environment impact as well as figures from Europe and other parts of the world, NEA has only 1 issue to harp on.. PM25.

Bosch went on to say that it is possible to install a filter in the exhaust, ala catalytic convertor of petrol cars for CO (though some what useless), to fliter the PM25 particles to that of petrol engines or even BETTER than petrol engines. NEA just shook their head and said they were sceptical and kept flogging the PM25 carcass. if PM25 is such a big issue, I think CO and HC (hydro-carbon) released by cars (especially BIG cars) pose a bigger threat.

its all about money for the P8P gahmen....

how abt Mit Lancer FC? Any driver can feedback? Thanks...
    Boss say:"Now i shall downgrade u all2 $90 flat for OT!"
    I say:"better ask blanga do..." :bsmilie:

what about Mazda? how come nobody talks about Mazda cars here? poor FC?

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast