Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast
Results 61 to 80 of 117

Thread: which car is the most fuel efficient?

  1. #61
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2002
    Location
    South Pole with Penguin
    Posts
    5,270

    Default Re: which car is the most fuel efficient?

    Quote Originally Posted by Lmodel View Post
    IIRC, there's only 5 diesel passenger cars (excluding taxis) on Singapore road. Must be crazy to pay 7x the road tax as compared to the petrol version.
    Lowered to 4x more than a year ago
    With effect from 1 Jan 2006, the special tax on Euro IV diesel passenger cars will be reduced to 4 times their road tax.
    http://app.nea.gov.sg/cms/htdocs/article.asp?pid=2672

    And there were 17 of such cars at the end of 2005, with road tax lowered on Jan 2006, we can expect much more diesel cars on the road now

    At the end of last year, there were 17 diesel cars here.
    http://www.cairefresh.com/images/Muc...-%20Strait.pdf

    Why not include taxi since they are paying extra road tax too, it is not crazy because it is still more cost effective for them.

    Taxi drivers are crazy if you are talking about driving skills thou

    Last edited by Wai; 7th March 2007 at 04:09 PM.

  2. #62

    Default Re: which car is the most fuel efficient?

    Quote Originally Posted by Wai View Post
    There is car version for the doblo (7 seaters) using the same 1.9L turbo engine and same chassis, you can import it if you are willing to pay the $

    There are also other diesel cars on the street with equally good fuel efficiency, provided that you are willing to pay the additional tax
    this i am not so sure.
    all this while i thought the govt does not approve diesel passenger cars apart from taxis.

    OT, we should allow vehicles to run on LPG like Taxis in Thailand.
    better for the environment

  3. #63
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    Cons digger.
    Posts
    3,924

    Default Re: which car is the most fuel efficient?

    it is approved.. just that you have to pay exorbitant road tax for it. I have not idea about the reason behind it.. Does private diesel vehicles cause so much more damage to the roads than the same taxi or goods registered vehicle? dUh....
    “How fortunate for leaders that men do not think.” - Adolf Hitler

  4. #64
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2002
    Location
    South Pole with Penguin
    Posts
    5,270

    Default Re: which car is the most fuel efficient?

    Quote Originally Posted by yanyewkay View Post
    it is approved.. just that you have to pay exorbitant road tax for it. I have not idea about the reason behind it.. Does private diesel vehicles cause so much more damage to the roads than the same taxi or goods registered vehicle? dUh....
    Shhhh....diesel is cheaper than petrol in Singapore because all the car owners are paying a lot of petrol tax. that's why if u want to drive a diesel car for private use, you need to pay 4x more road tax. If you check the pump price in European countries, diesel is in fact more expensive.

  5. #65
    Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    Jurong Island
    Posts
    1,124

    Default Re: which car is the most fuel efficient?

    Quote Originally Posted by yanyewkay View Post
    it is approved.. just that you have to pay exorbitant road tax for it. I have not idea about the reason behind it.. Does private diesel vehicles cause so much more damage to the roads than the same taxi or goods registered vehicle? dUh....

    Its about quantity. Imagine half the population of cars here using diesel (as compared to the total number of taxis on the road), the air index is going to drop drastically.

    However, the most logical answer (but never mentioned) is because diesel is almost tax-free while petrol is heavily taxed. In places like US, you actually pay more for diesel.

  6. #66
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    Cons digger.
    Posts
    3,924

    Default Re: which car is the most fuel efficient?

    yups.. i know diesel is more expensive than petrol else where in the world. but pegging it to road tax, meant for maintanence of the road, is something absurd to me.

    Believe it or not, diesel exhaust is cleaner or more environment friendly than petrol. There is no NOx or carbon monoxide from diesel engines. Diesel is also more efficient than petrol, look up "thermal efficiency" on the web. That is why on the same amount of fuel, diesel runs further than petrol. Diesel is also safer as it cannot be ignited. In the event of accident, you cannot get a holiwood style explosion, not even if you throw a lighted match into the fuel tank.
    Last edited by yanyewkay; 7th March 2007 at 04:26 PM.
    “How fortunate for leaders that men do not think.” - Adolf Hitler

  7. #67
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2002
    Location
    South Pole with Penguin
    Posts
    5,270

    Default Re: which car is the most fuel efficient?

    Quote Originally Posted by Lmodel View Post
    Its about quantity. Imagine half the population of cars here using diesel (as compared to the total number of taxis on the road), the air index is going to drop drastically.
    Always back up your claims with facts

    today's diesels are as clean as they are powerful. With the latest particulate filters, the exhaust from a diesel engine can actually be cleaner than the air that goes into it!
    http://www.aas.com.sg/features/archive/f01061.htm

    And what is more environmental friendly than recycling used cooking oil and turn them to Biodiesel?

    And you don't have to get it from oil-producing countries, either. In developing countries, or where there is a suitable agricultural base, diesel can be manufactured. Biodiesel as it is called, simply requires raw organic material, something that most developing countries with largely agrarian based economies have in abundance, and a special reactor. Biodiesel is one way to help developing countries avoid having to pay crippling amounts to buy oil from overseas.
    Using Merc's official figures, a full tank of 62 litres is theoretically good for 815km in C320 CDI , at a cost of $59.71. The same distance in a C 280 Estate would cost you $121.77 in 95 Octane petrol
    Last edited by Wai; 7th March 2007 at 04:47 PM.

  8. #68
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    A village in a forest
    Posts
    1,515

    Default Re: which car is the most fuel efficient?

    Quote Originally Posted by Wai View Post
    Shhhh....diesel is cheaper than petrol in Singapore because all the car owners are paying a lot of petrol tax. that's why if u want to drive a diesel car for private use, you need to pay 4x more road tax. If you check the pump price in European countries, diesel is in fact more expensive.
    You sure?? Diesel price in Europe is cheaper than petrol. On the average, diesel price is about 0.20euro cheaper than petrol per litre. That is one reason why in France, more than half of the passenger cars are diesel car. Also diesel car tend to be more fuel efficient, as they can obtain more mileage per litre of fuel compared to a similar petrol car.
    Canon 80D|Panasonic LX3/LX5
    35f2 IS|50f1.8|85f1.8|12-24f4|18-135f4-5.6 IS|28-75f2.8

  9. #69
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2002
    Location
    South Pole with Penguin
    Posts
    5,270

    Default Re: which car is the most fuel efficient?

    Quote Originally Posted by kelccm View Post
    You sure?? Diesel price in Europe is cheaper than petrol. On the average, diesel price is about 0.20euro cheaper than petrol per litre. That is one reason why in France, more than half of the passenger cars are diesel car. Also diesel car tend to be more fuel efficient, as they can obtain more mileage per litre of fuel compared to a similar petrol car.
    http://www.eia.doe.gov/bookshelf/bro...rices2006.html

    US do have higher diesel price than petrol due to higher demand

  10. #70
    Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    Jurong Island
    Posts
    1,124

    Default Re: which car is the most fuel efficient?

    Quote Originally Posted by Wai View Post
    Always back up your claims with facts
    That's if you are talking about Euro 4 engine. Imagine if the government allows Euro I and II engines to be registered as passenger cars back then or even during the early days when there is no spec standards, would you agree with me that the air index is higher?

    Also, do you agree that comparing a 5 yrs old diesel engine and petrol engine (from the same manufacturer) clocking 100,000km with no major maintenance carried out, the diesel engine defintely produce more emission, soot, etc.?
    Last edited by Lmodel; 7th March 2007 at 05:09 PM.

  11. #71
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    A village in a forest
    Posts
    1,515

    Default Re: which car is the most fuel efficient?

    Yea, demand plays a big part in fuel prices. Thats why there are differences in different countries, and even in a same country, the fuel price can be vastly different!!! On the highway, you can find signs advertising the various petrol stations' prices along the highway, and there can be a few cents difference even from the same company.

    Actually in Europe, diesel is regarded as a cleaner fuel. Just that some people prefer petrol for the better acceleration (like me). I have driven diesel cars before, and believe me, it is as silent as a petrol car and just as smooth.
    Canon 80D|Panasonic LX3/LX5
    35f2 IS|50f1.8|85f1.8|12-24f4|18-135f4-5.6 IS|28-75f2.8

  12. #72
    Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    Jurong Island
    Posts
    1,124

    Default Re: which car is the most fuel efficient?

    Unlike commercial car owners in Singapore, the European takes good care of their commercial vehicle. Here, many only send in their vehicle for servicing or maintenance when it is time for inspection or when caught by ROV/ NEA. An altogether different mindset..

  13. #73
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    A village in a forest
    Posts
    1,515

    Default Re: which car is the most fuel efficient?

    Don't have the wrong impression that a diesel car engine is similar to those trucks' diesel engine you see in Singapore. A diesel engine for a passenger car is much more efficient and advance.If you ever have the chance, go try the Volkswagon Golf GTTdi.
    Canon 80D|Panasonic LX3/LX5
    35f2 IS|50f1.8|85f1.8|12-24f4|18-135f4-5.6 IS|28-75f2.8

  14. #74
    Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    Jurong Island
    Posts
    1,124

    Default Re: which car is the most fuel efficient?

    Quote Originally Posted by kelccm View Post
    Don't have the wrong impression that a diesel car engine is similar to those trucks' diesel engine you see in Singapore. A diesel engine for a passenger car is much more efficient and advance.If you ever have the chance, go try the Volkswagon Golf GTTdi.
    Sure and cheers!

    Juz comparing a similar truck model here in Singapore and in Europe as in comparison of the mindset between local companies and foreign companies.

  15. #75
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    A village in a forest
    Posts
    1,515

    Default Re: which car is the most fuel efficient?

    Quote Originally Posted by Lmodel View Post
    Unlike commercial car owners in Singapore, the European takes good care of their commercial vehicle. Here, many only send in their vehicle for servicing or maintenance when it is time for inspection or when caught by ROV/ NEA. An altogether different mindset..
    That is human factor. A poorly maintain petrol car will spew lots of pollutants as well.
    Canon 80D|Panasonic LX3/LX5
    35f2 IS|50f1.8|85f1.8|12-24f4|18-135f4-5.6 IS|28-75f2.8

  16. #76
    Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    The 3rd Rock
    Posts
    1,269

    Default Re: which car is the most fuel efficient?

    Quote Originally Posted by Wai View Post
    Always back up your claims with facts



    http://www.aas.com.sg/features/archive/f01061.htm

    And what is more environmental friendly than recycling used cooking oil and turn them to Biodiesel?
    Just to add some comments to Wai's posting on diesel engine, using BMW 3 series as an example, diesel engine does have lower CO2 emission (see below).

    318I (Petrol) = 175 g/km
    318D (Diesel) = 150 g/km

    and given diesel lower FC and higher torque, wouldn't mind having a diesel engine for our next car.

    source:
    http://www.bmw.com/com/en/index_low.html
    Last edited by billpepsi; 7th March 2007 at 05:54 PM.

  17. #77
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    Cons digger.
    Posts
    3,924

    Default Re: which car is the most fuel efficient?

    Quote Originally Posted by Lmodel View Post
    That's if you are talking about Euro 4 engine. Imagine if the government allows Euro I and II engines to be registered as passenger cars back then or even during the early days when there is no spec standards, would you agree with me that the air index is higher?

    Also, do you agree that comparing a 5 yrs old diesel engine and petrol engine (from the same manufacturer) clocking 100,000km with no major maintenance carried out, the diesel engine defintely produce more emission, soot, etc.?
    emmission from the burning of diesel will not produce NOx and CO like petrol does. So, regardless of the age and type of diesel engine, it will not release any more toxic gases than current standards. With or without any major main't. Shocker right?
    “How fortunate for leaders that men do not think.” - Adolf Hitler

  18. #78
    Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    Near Changi Airport
    Posts
    147

    Default Re: which car is the most fuel efficient?

    Fuel saving gasoline cars:

    a) Honda Jazz IDSI - Noisy cabin
    b) Honda City IDSI - Less noisy, Normal driving (15km/litr) currently using.
    c) Toyota Vois

    Compared to:
    1) Honda Stream 1.7 - 10.0km/litr (Sold)
    2) Nissan x-Trail 2.5 - 8.5km/litr (Currently using)

  19. #79
    Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    Jurong Island
    Posts
    1,124

    Default Re: which car is the most fuel efficient?

    Quote Originally Posted by yanyewkay View Post
    emmission from the burning of diesel will not produce NOx and CO like petrol does. So, regardless of the age and type of diesel engine, it will not release any more toxic gases than current standards. With or without any major main't. Shocker right?
    No Nox and CO meaning one will not die by linkin a hose frm the exhaust of a diesel engine vehicle into the cabin with the windows close?

  20. #80
    Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Singapore, Punggol
    Posts
    282

    Default Re: which car is the most fuel efficient?

    Quote Originally Posted by L.Lee View Post
    Fuel saving gasoline cars:

    a) Honda Jazz IDSI - Noisy cabin
    b) Honda City IDSI - Less noisy, Normal driving (15km/litr) currently using.
    c) Toyota Vois

    Compared to:
    1) Honda Stream 1.7 - 10.0km/litr (Sold)
    2) Nissan x-Trail 2.5 - 8.5km/litr (Currently using)
    well, not to forget that Honda Airwave is 1.5L VETC Engine.. better power, better F.C... it was rated with 18km/L, but i think that was done on straight road.. in Singapore, most pple getting about 14-15l/km.. Plus it has so much space in the cabin...
    K-1 PENCAKE LIMITED: DA15;; DA 35 Macro; DA70; FA31; F50 f1.7

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •