Thread: 2 noob questions

Default 2 noob questions

I'm still in the process of learning my 350d. :bsmile: And I've got 2 questions!

1. How do you guys know whether the object that you are taking is sharp or not through the viewfinder?

Because I find it difficult to get very sharp pictures even when my camera is mounted on a tripod. Sometimes can la but got quite a number of blur pictures also. The problem is that it looks pretty ok on the camera's LCD but when i go back.... wahhh quite sad to see some of the pics turn out quite blur.. is it my lens or is there anything wrong with my settings? During night shots, I usually put my AP to about 5.6. I using kit lens.

2. I seem to find tiny white spots on the same place everytime i open a pic before resizing it. Although it doesn't bother me that much (because the tiny dots usually can't be seen after resizing), I just itchy want to know la.. Not my lens spoil right? The dots are consistent at the same place in all the pictures at full size...

thanks in advance guys!

Default Re: 2 noob questions

1. Might be due to wind or vibrateion blurness esp if you are doing longer exposures. The kit lens is optimally shary at f/8 or smaller IMHO so maybe you can try stopping it down more. To minimise virbrations during long exposures use the mirror lock up function. Myabe it cna be subject motion blur too?

2. Sounds like you camera might have a hot pixel issue with the CCD... this one need a trip to the service center. But if you say it dosent really affect your shots then the hassle of having to go down to get it serviced might not be worth it.
    Furry Photos - Photography for the Modern Pet

Quote Originally Posted by raptor84 View Post
    1. Might be due to wind or vibrateion blurness esp if you are doing longer exposures. The kit lens is optimally shary at f/8 or smaller IMHO so maybe you can try stopping it down more. To minimise virbrations during long exposures use the mirror lock up function. Myabe it cna be subject motion blur too?

2. Sounds like you camera might have a hot pixel issue with the CCD... this one need a trip to the service center. But if you say it dosent really affect your shots then the hassle of having to go down to get it serviced might not be worth it.

WOW thanks for the insights! So next time I wanna take sharper night shots I'd have to step down my AP to 8 below? I realised that a few of my sharper pics were taken at f10.

Then when should i use 5.6 or even 5.0?

For the last issue, what must I bring to service the camera huh? Must I bring my pics to show them the hot pixels?

You might want to try using a remote trigger.

If your camera's still under warranty, then go get it fixed. Bring yr picts (with the spots) to show them; that way they know what/where to look for immediately.

Quote Originally Posted by mfbatzap View Post
    WOW thanks for the insights! So next time I wanna take sharper night shots I'd have to step down my AP to 8 below? I realised that a few of my sharper pics were taken at f10.

Then when should i use 5.6 or even 5.0?

For the last issue, what must I bring to service the camera huh? Must I bring my pics to show them the hot pixels?
    When to use the kit lens wide open? Only when you absolutely need all the light you can get and cannot use a flash or tripod to steady the cam. The kit lens has pretty bad performance wide open though.
    Furry Photos - Photography for the Modern Pet

I think another way is to zoom in "ALL the WAY" and look for areas of high contrast (esp. areas where you can see the "lines" clearly, where 2 different ob jects overlap) and determine if the lines are sharp enough. If that is also blurry, just re-take another shot to be safe.

It usually works for me Alternatively, bring a laptop, and download on the spot to guage the quality...
    The DIFFERENCE is not in the "Cue", it is in the SKILLS...

wow! thanks for the responses!

ok does that mean that next time when I wanna take long exposure night shots, I have to step down the AP and slow down more the shutter speed right?

So if I had used like f/5.6 & 4s shutter speed, now I would need like f/8 and about 8~10s?
    haha didn't know the kit lens is that bad
    Last edited by mfbatzap; 5th March 2007 at 11:10 AM.

haha didn't know the kit lens is that bad
    Canon kit lenses tend to be pretty bad... Nikon and Minolta/Sony usually have good ones. The main benefit of the Canon kit lens is that it tends to have slightly faster focusing than the default nikon/sonolta kit lens.

if taking night landscape shots, for example CBD skyline, is it advisible to put on auto focus? I tried once but the lens cannot focus on anything..

if taking night landscape shots, for example CBD skyline, is it advisible to put on auto focus? I tried once but the lens cannot focus on anything..
    It is possible to use auto-focus but very difficult to do so at night.. focusing works when the camera detects contrast between areas of different shades/brightness... if everything is equally dark/same colour at night the camera can't tell the difference and thus won't focus..

Two ways to get around it.. if the subject is bright enough (like a building with it's lights on).. then autofocus should work fine...

if not use manual focus.. most of the time ur focus ring should be set close to infinity since it's landscape and i presume most subjects would be very far away... to improve ur focus u could get a focusing screen coz it's quite hard to see at night....

but that's just a noobie response from me... haven't done that many night shots yet....
    Canon EOS 30D w/ grip 580EX, Tamron 28-75mm f/2.8, EF-S 10-22mm
    :bsmilie:

u can try using f/8.0 for sharp shots. keep your hands steady or use a tripod. or lean against an object to keep yourself steady if there are no tripods..

Quote Originally Posted by raptor84 View Post
    When to use the kit lens wide open? Only when you absolutely need all the light you can get and cannot use a flash or tripod to steady the cam. The kit lens has pretty bad performance wide open though.
    yup, to get in maximum light when the surrounding is dark or dim lighting..

Quote Originally Posted by Adelfin View Post
    It is possible to use auto-focus but very difficult to do so at night.. focusing works when the camera detects contrast between areas of different shades/brightness... if everything is equally dark/same colour at night the camera can't tell the difference and thus won't focus..

Two ways to get around it.. if the subject is bright enough (like a building with it's lights on).. then autofocus should work fine...

if not use manual focus.. most of the time ur focus ring should be set close to infinity since it's landscape and i presume most subjects would be very far away... to improve ur focus u could get a focusing screen coz it's quite hard to see at night....

but that's just a noobie response from me... haven't done that many night shots yet....
    thanks a alot!! haha.. gonna try with what I've newly learned soon!