Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Results 21 to 40 of 47

Thread: Prosumer to DSLR

  1. #21

    Default Re: Prosumer to DSLR

    Quote Originally Posted by Rashkae View Post
    1. There is a comparative review on many online review sites, such as dpreview.

    2. In general, the H5 outperforms the S3IS. The main benefit of the S3IS is the tilting LCD.

    3. Don't buy it at the PC show. The H7 and H9 are coming out already.

    4. If you want to save money, buy an H1/H2/H5 off the marketplace section.

    ya i heard of the H7/H9 but no idea when it will be in singapore.... also heard of the S4IS, but then again, no idea when it will be hitting the shores!

  2. #22

    Default Re: Prosumer to DSLR

    Quote Originally Posted by Pauche View Post
    ya i heard of the H7/H9 but no idea when it will be in singapore.... also heard of the S4IS, but then again, no idea when it will be hitting the shores!
    The H7/H9 should be here end april/early may.

  3. #23
    Senior Member lunas's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    2,656

    Default Re: Prosumer to DSLR

    my budget is $1800.

    Which is more economical?

    400D + 18-200mm lens

    or

    D80
    Nikon D300 | D800 - my flickr!

  4. #24
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    West Legion
    Posts
    7,751

    Default Re: Prosumer to DSLR

    Quote Originally Posted by lunas View Post
    my budget is $1800.

    Which is more economical?

    400D + 18-200mm lens

    or

    D80
    economical?
    nothing beats a pentax (k100d/k10d)

    if limited to d80/400d, i go for d80+kit lens(18-135).

  5. #25

    Default Re: Prosumer to DSLR

    Quote Originally Posted by ExplorerZ View Post
    economical?
    nothing beats a pentax (k100d/k10d)

    if limited to d80/400d, i go for d80+kit lens(18-135).
    Why not a D50 + 18-200 VR?

  6. #26
    Senior Member lunas's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    2,656

    Default Re: Prosumer to DSLR

    Quote Originally Posted by Hoky View Post
    Why not a D50 + 18-200 VR?
    Roughly, how much will this kit cost in total?
    Nikon D300 | D800 - my flickr!

  7. #27
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    West Legion
    Posts
    7,751

    Default Re: Prosumer to DSLR

    Quote Originally Posted by Hoky View Post
    Why not a D50 + 18-200 VR?
    I assume he is looking for new sets...
    d50 + 18-200VR price is competitive to the k10d + any 18-200, but not in function.
    so, on the overrall, i take pentax as the best bang for bucks.

  8. #28

    Default Re: Prosumer to DSLR

    Quote Originally Posted by ExplorerZ View Post
    economical?
    nothing beats a pentax (k100d/k10d)

    if limited to d80/400d, i go for d80+kit lens(18-135).
    What I'm looking at next.

    Hehehe. If only I had more $.

  9. #29
    Senior Member lunas's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    2,656

    Default Re: Prosumer to DSLR

    Is the 400D 15-55mm good for everyday snapshots @ in the day or night?
    Nikon D300 | D800 - my flickr!

  10. #30

    Default Re: Prosumer to DSLR

    Quote Originally Posted by lunas View Post
    Is the 400D 15-55mm good for everyday snapshots @ in the day or night?
    Depends on what you're shooting!

    15-55mm will not give you much zoom or "reach".

  11. #31
    Senior Member lunas's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    2,656

    Default Re: Prosumer to DSLR

    Quote Originally Posted by night86mare View Post
    Depends on what you're shooting!

    15-55mm will not give you much zoom or "reach".
    Hi night86mare,

    Thanks for replying all the while. Yea, it is about 3x. Can it shoot nice bokeh (blur background with the subject in focus)?
    Last edited by lunas; 7th March 2007 at 11:24 PM.
    Nikon D300 | D800 - my flickr!

  12. #32

    Default Re: Prosumer to DSLR

    Quote Originally Posted by lunas View Post
    Hi night86mare,

    Thanks for replying all the while. Can it shoot nice bokeh?
    I won't know, I don't have DSLR yet, but I spend a lot of my free-time poisoning myself so that hopefully I achieve enough psyche to psycho myself into buying DSLR before I leave for London in Sep. God knows, the prices there are horribly expensive so it's either buy now or a year later when I come back from university break.

    Bokeh is something to do with the lens, etc.. You'd have to ask the people with that lens.

  13. #33

    Default Re: Prosumer to DSLR

    Quote Originally Posted by lunas View Post
    Hi night86mare,

    Thanks for replying all the while. Yea, it is about 3x. Can it shoot nice bokeh (blur background with the subject in focus)?
    Just saw your updated post.

    I'm not still not exactly clear on what bokeh is entirely.. In general any lens with large aperture size will be able to shoot what you're looking for - blur background with subject in focus though. It's all to do with DOF.

  14. #34
    Senior Member lunas's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    2,656

    Default Re: Prosumer to DSLR

    Quote Originally Posted by night86mare View Post
    I won't know, I don't have DSLR yet, but I spend a lot of my free-time poisoning myself so that hopefully I achieve enough psyche to psycho myself into buying DSLR before I leave for London in Sep. God knows, the prices there are horribly expensive so it's either buy now or a year later when I come back from university break.

    Bokeh is something to do with the lens, etc.. You'd have to ask the people with that lens.

    I also haven't got a DSLR. Thought of getting one since the IT show is tml. Not sure what they will bundle with....

    Well, I have seen quite a number of high quality saturation and sharpness from a DSLR, so really wanna get one.

    But to be frank, I am quite happy with my H5 except for the Noises at 400 and above. And the flash re-charge is tooooo slow.

    Also not sure why I need 2 cameras.... I guess DSLR is just a nice to have as H5 covers all...
    Nikon D300 | D800 - my flickr!

  15. #35

    Default Re: Prosumer to DSLR

    Can always use your DSLR as backup. Or heck, if can convert just convert to IR (have to ask Rashkae whether can convert) so you can have fun with IR - if you're into landscapes that is.

    Anyways, you are making me damn itchy leh. I wanted to wait until next year. But everytime I shoot landscape the widest 35mm part is damn irritating at times when I want "more of the scene" in. Wondering if I should go and buy Sony/Raynox wide convertor or just all-in and buy Pentax K100D since I'll be going DSLR sooner or later anyways. =/

    But then hor, I do rough calculation will definitely have to spend about 1700. (will definitely get one super-wide zoom lens, probably third-party along with the DSLR + kit lens [for everything else]) Compared to 279 (that's worst case scenario I buy direct from Sony). HRM. $ pain leh.

  16. #36
    Senior Member lunas's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    2,656

    Default Re: Prosumer to DSLR

    Quote Originally Posted by night86mare View Post
    Can always use your DSLR as backup. Or heck, if can convert just convert to IR (have to ask Rashkae whether can convert) so you can have fun with IR - if you're into landscapes that is.

    Anyways, you are making me damn itchy leh. I wanted to wait until next year. But everytime I shoot landscape the widest 35mm part is damn irritating at times when I want "more of the scene" in. Wondering if I should go and buy Sony/Raynox wide convertor or just all-in and buy Pentax K100D since I'll be going DSLR sooner or later anyways. =/

    But then hor, I do rough calculation will definitely have to spend about 1700. (will definitely get one super-wide zoom lens, probably third-party along with the DSLR + kit lens [for everything else]) Compared to 279 (that's worst case scenario I buy direct from Sony). HRM. $ pain leh.
    Yea, anyway no point get the wide zoom from sony at 279. Sell yr H2 and get that Pentax lor.

    For my case, I can't sell my H5 as my Sis is the co-owner also.

    BTW, the 400d kit is a 15-55 mm is it wider than the H2/5? Or need to convert times 2?
    Nikon D300 | D800 - my flickr!

  17. #37
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    West Legion
    Posts
    7,751

    Default Re: Prosumer to DSLR

    Quote Originally Posted by night86mare View Post
    Can always use your DSLR as backup. Or heck, if can convert just convert to IR (have to ask Rashkae whether can convert) so you can have fun with IR - if you're into landscapes that is.

    Anyways, you are making me damn itchy leh. I wanted to wait until next year. But everytime I shoot landscape the widest 35mm part is damn irritating at times when I want "more of the scene" in. Wondering if I should go and buy Sony/Raynox wide convertor or just all-in and buy Pentax K100D since I'll be going DSLR sooner or later anyways. =/

    But then hor, I do rough calculation will definitely have to spend about 1700. (will definitely get one super-wide zoom lens, probably third-party along with the DSLR + kit lens [for everything else]) Compared to 279 (that's worst case scenario I buy direct from Sony). HRM. $ pain leh.
    a ultra-wide alone like 10-20/12-24 will set you back at least 850 unless you going 2nd hand.

  18. #38

    Default Re: Prosumer to DSLR

    Quote Originally Posted by ExplorerZ View Post
    a ultra-wide alone like 10-20/12-24 will set you back at least 850 unless you going 2nd hand.
    Pentax fisheye 680. =D
    According to their thread lor.

    Other than that.. 18-55 --> conversion factor should be 27 widest right.

    Then normal wide angle will be.. In future lor.

  19. #39

    Default Re: Prosumer to DSLR

    Quote Originally Posted by lunas View Post
    Yea, anyway no point get the wide zoom from sony at 279. Sell yr H2 and get that Pentax lor.

    For my case, I can't sell my H5 as my Sis is the co-owner also.

    BTW, the 400d kit is a 15-55 mm is it wider than the H2/5? Or need to convert times 2?
    Wide convertor.

    No la, I like my H2 leh.

    x1.5 I think, for most unless you get full-frame sensor. 1.5 or 1.6. Somethingl ike that. Definitely wider. H2/5 starts from 35mm thereabouts.

  20. #40
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    West Legion
    Posts
    7,751

    Default Re: Prosumer to DSLR

    Pentax fisheye 680. =D
    According to their thread lor.

    Other than that.. 18-55 --> conversion factor should be 27 widest right.

    Then normal wide angle will be.. In future lor.
    1. fisheye = wide angle...

    2. at 18mm (27mm equiv) it doesn't belongs to the group super/ultra wide...
    ultra wide are something like 12mm (18mm equiv)

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •