Thread: My fish tank smells of the dead...

Default My fish tank smells of the dead...

how to rid the smell huh

Default Re: My fish tank smells of the dead...

Change the water, wash out the tank and its contents. Get a charcoal-based filter.

spray perfume lorr....hehehehe ... wat u can do is ...remove all water from the tank...if u have sand in it..remove it too... use lots of table salt and rub the salt on the glass..im sure u gonna use lots of salt...leave it for one day...fill up the tank with water and leave it for another day...remove the water and clean thorough with fresh water..wash your filters too...throw old sponges..if u use a canister like eheim...use same method of cleaning too..if this doesnt work...BUY A NEW TANK

Quote Originally Posted by seanlim View Post
    how to rid the smell huh
    Use charcoal. The quality one.

Quote Originally Posted by DewaKarma View Post
    spray perfume lorr....hehehehe ... wat u can do is ...remove all water from the tank...if u have sand in it..remove it too... use lots of table salt and rub the salt on the glass..im sure u gonna use lots of salt...leave it for one day...fill up the tank with water and leave it for another day...remove the water and clean thorough with fresh water..wash your filters too...throw old sponges..if u use a canister like eheim...use same method of cleaning too..if this doesnt work...BUY A NEW TANK
    I just sprayed Calvin Kleins over it....GAHHHHHHHHHHH...now so late..no charcoal -.=

how to rid the smell huh
    Hi Sean

Check your lifestock. There might be a dead fish or two. Do you keep a reef tank or freshwater?

Change 20% water, change/clean filter elements, add a bag of aquarium charcoal, pump more air into the airstone if you have one.

Whether fresh or salt water tank, do not drain the tank comletely as you will invite more problem following that. You need the good bacteria to continue to work in the nitrogen cycle.

Spraying perfume in the room wont help much as you are not responding to the problems in your tank. As for adding a bottle of perfume to the tank, it may be fun to watch what happens 24hr after that. Keep us posted though.

Quote Originally Posted by contaxable View Post
    Hi Sean

Check your lifestock. There might be a dead fish or two. Do you keep a reef tank or freshwater?

Change 20% water, change/clean filter elements, add a bag of aquarium charcoal, pump more air into the airstone if you have one.

Whether fresh or salt water tank, do not drain the tank comletely as you will invite more problem following that. You need the good bacteria to continue to work in the nitrogen cycle.

Spraying perfume in the room wont help much as you are not responding to the problems in your tank. As for adding a bottle of perfume to the tank, it may be fun to watch what happens 24hr after that. Keep us posted though.
    yeah..2 fish diedED..its a freshwater tank..
    i think the smells there cus the filter jammed..and currently, my room smells of

DEAD FISH! ( yucks ) + Calvin Klein's One Summer <3 ....haha

yeah..2 fish diedED..its a freshwater tank..
    i think the smells there cus the filter jammed..and currently, my room smells of

DEAD FISH! ( yucks ) + Calvin Klein's One Summer <3 ....haha
    Do give your royal salute before you flush them off in the cubical.

Regarding the tank, have more airstones and go full blast to make the bacteria work faster to remove the amonia causing the stench. If you wanna add perfume, dab some perfume on the inlet filter of the pump (usually located at the base of the air pump). The pump will suck in perfumed scented air and this shouldnt spoil the water chemistry too much. But trust me, your fishes will hate you for introdcing non fishy smell into their swimming complex.

Cheers

Quote Originally Posted by contaxable View Post
    Do give your royal salute before you flush them off in the cubical.

Regarding the tank, have more airstones and go full blast to make the bacteria work faster to remove the amonia causing the stench. If you wanna add perfume, dab some perfume on the inlet filter of the pump (usually located at the base of the air pump). The pump will suck in perfumed scented air and this shouldnt spoil the water chemistry too much. But trust me, your fishes will hate you for introdcing non fishy smell into their swimming complex.

Cheers
    Psychic..i just threw them down the swirling bowl before i read this

Hi sean

Me not that powerful lah. I had been keeping fishes for over 3 decades. I have a natural freshwater fish pond in the garden at home that is maintainence free without electricity or filter or chemical. It took me years to learn how to keep an environment as natural possible.

cheers

some thing is wrong with the water condition... need to change water. urgent.. if not sure some fish will die..

The water is probably fouled by the dead fishes which are not promptly removed...

How's the other inhabitants in the tank? Signs and symptoms of diseases? Behaviour of fishes in there?

For immediate action, just go ahead and change about 50&#37; water, and take probably change 50% of the filter material in there (wool, ceramic rings, etc). Don;t ever go and clean your filtration thoroughly now.

If your water still smells, just keep on changing a small percentage everyday (20-30%).

Still, u must try to find out the root cause of why your fishes died, or are dying...

transfer your fish elsewhere...fill the tank with fresh water... get some lemons, cut them and pour juice into the fish tank.. stirred it and rinse the tank.

Get a EHEIM
    Take both its legs down first, then cuts its tail, next is shoot between its eyes:devil: