Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Results 21 to 40 of 44

Thread: Where should I go on from here?

  1. #21

    Default Re: Where should I go on from here?

    Quote Originally Posted by satay16 View Post
    i really agree with that statement. it seems so defeaningly loud in this moment of my life.
    I went through the same phase when I got my results not to fantastic. All Bs zero As

  2. #22

    Default Re: Where should I go on from here?

    Haha. You see, the problem is that I want a scholarship which allows me to pursue a management/policy-making job after that. I'm scared that the prospects of Ph.D pple are limited to the field they specialise in. I want to be able to diversify after that.

    QX

  3. #23

    Default Re: Where should I go on from here?

    Quote Originally Posted by Del_CtrlnoAlt View Post
    i din know i was so influential...
    erm.......me talking about qing xiang lah.

  4. #24

    Default Re: Where should I go on from here?

    Quote Originally Posted by Timber Wolf View Post
    Haha. You see, the problem is that I want a scholarship which allows me to pursue a management/policy-making job after that. I'm scared that the prospects of Ph.D pple are limited to the field they specialise in. I want to be able to diversify after that.

    QX
    How about A* Star scholarships but it's more of research.

  5. #25

    Default Re: Where should I go on from here?

    Considered that. But they want 4A's and 2 Spapers minimum. Which means i'm kinda out of the running already.

    QX

  6. #26

    Default Re: Where should I go on from here?

    Quote Originally Posted by Timber Wolf View Post
    Considered that. But they want 4A's and 2 Spapers minimum. Which means i'm kinda out of the running already.

    QX
    That's awfully tough.

    How about DSTA's one?

  7. #27
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Location
    Somewhere Out There
    Posts
    2,567

    Default Re: Where should I go on from here?

    Interesting outlook on how Singaporeans view life as a whole.

  8. #28

    Default Re: Where should I go on from here?

    DSTA's should be ok. I've gotten to 2nd round. Gonna send them my results soon.
    Eep. I guess i'll see how things turn out. Right now I'm filling up stuff on the Brightsparks scholarship portal.

    QX

  9. #29
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Location
    Somewhere Out There
    Posts
    2,567

    Default Re: Where should I go on from here?

    Interesting observation on how Singaporeans view life as a whole.

  10. #30
    Senior Member Sion's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    新天地
    Posts
    4,768

    Default Re: Where should I go on from here?

    Quote Originally Posted by satay16 View Post
    i like pure therotical physics, it is my passion, my life, but when reality steps in, i dun think i can actually make a living out of it.
    You mean you have never actually grilled a satay before?

    You are only good in theorotical satay?

  11. #31

    Default Re: Where should I go on from here?

    Quote Originally Posted by agape01 View Post
    Interesting outlook on how Singaporeans view life as a whole.
    He's not disappointed about his results but more disappointed that his scholarship options have become limited.

  12. #32

    Default Re: Where should I go on from here?

    Quote Originally Posted by Timber Wolf View Post
    DSTA's should be ok. I've gotten to 2nd round. Gonna send them my results soon.
    Eep. I guess i'll see how things turn out. Right now I'm filling up stuff on the Brightsparks scholarship portal.

    QX
    That's great to hear.

    So I guess you won't be giving SAFOS, SMS & DMS

  13. #33
    Senior Member Sion's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    新天地
    Posts
    4,768

    Default Re: Where should I go on from here?

    Quote Originally Posted by glennyong View Post
    not every person who studies law will become a good lawyer.
    But anyone who owns a dslr is considered to be a pro shooter.

  14. #34

    Default Re: Where should I go on from here?

    Quote Originally Posted by Klose View Post
    There's always the academic route.
    actuall,y that's my argument back to my father.

    but deep down inside, i know i want to do research. sadly, i'm no wonder student to get the A*star scholarship. it just pains me to find it so unfair when some of my older friends getting these scholarships actually have the cheek to tell me that there aren't really interested in the things they are studying, but since they got good results, they just got the scholarships.

    but like what bill gates said, "life is unfair. live with it."

    sigh.....

  15. #35

    Default Re: Where should I go on from here?

    I'm disappointed with my results and the doors that have closed due to them.
    Nah i won't apply SAFOS etc cos I'm a clerk, and u need to be officer to get them.

    QX

  16. #36
    Senior Member glennyong's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    5,587

    Default Re: Where should I go on from here?

    well. speaking of fair and unfair. hope TS will forgive me for sharing this conversation with a few of my lecturer friends.

    they told me that last year, the result for GCE O levels was rather good, and many students actually qualified for JC. But the case is now that many of these students who actually had grades good enough for JC did not for got JC, instead, the opted for Poly, and those who initially had the chance to enter Poly was compromised for these students who scored better.

    And can you imagine, a student who scored 8 points went to Poly ? and those who scored enough to enter poly cant enter because of these bunch of selfish students ?

    well.. life's like that.

    seriously i cant imagine those students who went to ITE because they couldnt get into poly all thanks to these "smart" students.

    but wait. now ITE interns get the same pay as Poly interns... if not more then poly interns..

    from what i see....

    i do not know what is the others thoughts. but from what i see... there are many students out there fighting for that chance to survive.

  17. #37

    Default Re: Where should I go on from here?

    Quote Originally Posted by satay16 View Post
    actuall,y that's my argument back to my father.

    but deep down inside, i know i want to do research. sadly, i'm no wonder student to get the A*star scholarship. it just pains me to find it so unfair when some of my older friends getting these scholarships actually have the cheek to tell me that there aren't really interested in the things they are studying, but since they got good results, they just got the scholarships.

    but like what bill gates said, "life is unfair. live with it."

    sigh.....
    That's the general misconception about being an academic, people generalise that being one means not earning big.

  18. #38

    Default Re: Where should I go on from here?

    Quote Originally Posted by Klose View Post
    That's the general misconception about being an academic, people generalise that being one means not earning big.
    but that's a pretty accurate genralisation right?

  19. #39

    Default Re: Where should I go on from here?

    Quote Originally Posted by glennyong View Post
    they told me that last year, the result for GCE O levels was rather good, and many students actually qualified for JC. But the case is now that many of these students who actually had grades good enough for JC did not for got JC, instead, the opted for Poly, and those who initially had the chance to enter Poly was compromised for these students who scored better.

    And can you imagine, a student who scored 8 points went to Poly ? and those who scored enough to enter poly cant enter because of these bunch of selfish students ?
    What's so wrong about that?

    They studied hard and performed well, why do they NOT deserve a place? Just because one is a 8 pointer, does that mean that he/she has to go to JC? NO! Selfish? Bollocks to that comment. Scoring just enough just means they did the bare minimum to enter the course but that does not equate to having a place open for them, there are many others who did better and if they wish to pursue their tertiary education in polytechnics instead of JCs. Why stop them?

  20. #40

    Default Re: Where should I go on from here?

    Quote Originally Posted by satay16 View Post
    but that's a pretty accurate genralisation right?
    But that doesn't mean you have to be a University lecturer. You can be conducting your research for the MNCs

    Oh btw, how did n0d3 fare?

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •