Results 1 to 15 of 15

Thread: Smoke in fireworks

  1. #1
    Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Stad van Manneken Pis
    Posts
    561

    Default Smoke in fireworks

    Hi,

    I just started photography and was curious on how to remove smoke from photographs? Like this one here:



    Cheers,

    Maddy
    Come visit my Flickr :)

  2. #2
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    West Legion
    Posts
    7,751

    Default Re: Smoke in fireworks

    try burning... but too much of it cause the fireworks to look fake.

  3. #3
    Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Stad van Manneken Pis
    Posts
    561

    Default Re: Smoke in fireworks

    But if I burn, then it kind of makes the photo darker, doesn't it? I cant just burn around the fireworks area, i have to burn whole of photo right?
    Come visit my Flickr :)

  4. #4
    Member fv18m's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    North of S'pore
    Posts
    410

    Default Re: Smoke in fireworks

    Bro,

    IMHO - just let it be. Looks more natural. Like a fellow CSer said it "Yan Hua" (literally translates to Smoke Flowers). So how to qualify as Fireworks without the smoke?

    Anyway, the smoke still looks OK - not too much (at least to this pair of inexperienced eyes). If anything, I would suggest getting rid of the boats and the "scenery" at the bottom of the frame...
    The DIFFERENCE is not in the "Cue", it is in the SKILLS...

  5. #5
    Senior Member knpan's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    3,651

    Default Re: Smoke in fireworks

    ehhhh? when i took pic of the fireworks, the same place as you, theres no smoke in my pic, none of them. i thnik your shutter speed is too fast thats why, i think

  6. #6

    Default Re: Smoke in fireworks

    Use photoshop... abit more steps but can do it.

    or Nikon Capture NX. Easiler to do...


    http://www.clubsnap.org/forums/showt...=248702&page=8

    There's some smoke on the actual picture towards the right side... remove or lower down the contrast level of it.. so..
    Last edited by Dan; 2nd March 2007 at 05:58 PM.

  7. #7
    Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Stad van Manneken Pis
    Posts
    561

    Default Re: Smoke in fireworks

    Quote Originally Posted by knpan View Post
    ehhhh? when i took pic of the fireworks, the same place as you, theres no smoke in my pic, none of them. i thnik your shutter speed is too fast thats why, i think
    Took them in bulb mode. Hmm and if u have no smoke, then u have to teach me guru How about this sunday?
    Come visit my Flickr :)

  8. #8
    Senior Member knpan's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    3,651

    Default Re: Smoke in fireworks

    Quote Originally Posted by maddyks View Post
    Took them in bulb mode. Hmm and if u have no smoke, then u have to teach me guru How about this sunday?
    haha, click this link, it might have a little smoke, but it doesnt even seem to look like smoke, more like the normal night sky.

    ,oh cant load my online photo album on this computer, i will give u another link on another website, see if theres smoke in your opinion.

    http://www.friendster.com/photos/513...pic=0202985489.

    i suspect that you are zooming in too much too, dont u think it would make the smoke more obvious?

  9. #9
    Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Stad van Manneken Pis
    Posts
    561

    Default Re: Smoke in fireworks

    Tried a bit with the burn tool and removed the scenery from the bottom right. Howz this look?

    Come visit my Flickr :)

  10. #10
    Senior Member knpan's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    3,651

    Default Re: Smoke in fireworks

    the top right hand corner looks edited, did u try t omake the burn 0 percent? so it wont look that harsh

  11. #11
    Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Stad van Manneken Pis
    Posts
    561

    Default Re: Smoke in fireworks

    Quote Originally Posted by knpan View Post
    haha, click this link, it might have a little smoke, but it doesnt even seem to look like smoke, more like the normal night sky.

    ,oh cant load my online photo album on this computer, i will give u another link on another website, see if theres smoke in your opinion.

    http://www.friendster.com/photos/513...pic=0202985489.

    i suspect that you are zooming in too much too, dont u think it would make the smoke more obvious?
    Hmm kind of blends with the colour. Have to try moving a bit away from the merlion he he. I was 18mm, no zoom. but then again have to crop as there is no scenery from where I stand. As I said have to move away from the merlion
    Come visit my Flickr :)

  12. #12
    Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Stad van Manneken Pis
    Posts
    561

    Default Re: Smoke in fireworks

    Quote Originally Posted by knpan View Post
    the top right hand corner looks edited, did u try t omake the burn 0 percent? so it wont look that harsh
    Yea its on 0%. Woah its so much work man.
    Come visit my Flickr :)

  13. #13
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    West Legion
    Posts
    7,751

    Default Re: Smoke in fireworks

    Quote Originally Posted by maddyks View Post
    But if I burn, then it kind of makes the photo darker, doesn't it? I cant just burn around the fireworks area, i have to burn whole of photo right?
    nope, try using burn 3-5&#37my personally setting) and set it to midtones and do some slight burn on the more obvious smoke before changing it to shadows and burn again. but like i say, poor or too much burning might make it looks weird.

    another way is like what Dan have said, use U-point from Nikon capture NX. great tools
    Last edited by ExplorerZ; 2nd March 2007 at 09:09 PM.

  14. #14

    Default Re: Smoke in fireworks

    Of course result depends on yourself
    1.Go to select color range, click the black sky & push slider to extreme right.
    2. Now you MAY want to use curves to darken the overall sky.
    3. Now paint back/mask parts where smoke is necessarty especially lower parts where sky meets water.

    cheers!

  15. #15

    Default Re: Smoke in fireworks

    actually its because his shutter speed is slow, that's why even the not very bright smoke can be picked up by the camera...

    one easy way to reduce smoke is simply, in levels, push the black level to the right...this would reduce the smoke...but don't push too much or the image becomes too dark...and like others have mentioned a bit of smoke makes it more real...

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •