Thread: Smoke in fireworks

Default Smoke in fireworks

Hi,

I just started photography and was curious on how to remove smoke from photographs? Like this one here:

Cheers,

Maddy
    Come visit my Flickr :)

Default Re: Smoke in fireworks

try burning... but too much of it cause the fireworks to look fake.

But if I burn, then it kind of makes the photo darker, doesn't it? I cant just burn around the fireworks area, i have to burn whole of photo right?

Bro,

IMHO - just let it be. Looks more natural. Like a fellow CSer said it "Yan Hua" (literally translates to Smoke Flowers). So how to qualify as Fireworks without the smoke?

Anyway, the smoke still looks OK - not too much (at least to this pair of inexperienced eyes). If anything, I would suggest getting rid of the boats and the "scenery" at the bottom of the frame...
    The DIFFERENCE is not in the "Cue", it is in the SKILLS...

ehhhh? when i took pic of the fireworks, the same place as you, theres no smoke in my pic, none of them. i thnik your shutter speed is too fast thats why, i think

Use photoshop... abit more steps but can do it.

or Nikon Capture NX. Easiler to do...

http://www.clubsnap.org/forums/showt...=248702&page=8

There's some smoke on the actual picture towards the right side... remove or lower down the contrast level of it.. so..
    Last edited by Dan; 2nd March 2007 at 05:58 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by knpan View Post
    ehhhh? when i took pic of the fireworks, the same place as you, theres no smoke in my pic, none of them. i thnik your shutter speed is too fast thats why, i think
    Took them in bulb mode. Hmm and if u have no smoke, then u have to teach me guru How about this sunday?

Quote Originally Posted by maddyks View Post
    Took them in bulb mode. Hmm and if u have no smoke, then u have to teach me guru How about this sunday?
    haha, click this link, it might have a little smoke, but it doesnt even seem to look like smoke, more like the normal night sky.

,oh cant load my online photo album on this computer, i will give u another link on another website, see if theres smoke in your opinion.

http://www.friendster.com/photos/513...pic=0202985489.

i suspect that you are zooming in too much too, dont u think it would make the smoke more obvious?

Tried a bit with the burn tool and removed the scenery from the bottom right. Howz this look?

the top right hand corner looks edited, did u try t omake the burn 0 percent? so it wont look that harsh

haha, click this link, it might have a little smoke, but it doesnt even seem to look like smoke, more like the normal night sky.

,oh cant load my online photo album on this computer, i will give u another link on another website, see if theres smoke in your opinion.

http://www.friendster.com/photos/513...pic=0202985489.

i suspect that you are zooming in too much too, dont u think it would make the smoke more obvious?
    Hmm kind of blends with the colour. Have to try moving a bit away from the merlion he he. I was 18mm, no zoom. but then again have to crop as there is no scenery from where I stand. As I said have to move away from the merlion

the top right hand corner looks edited, did u try t omake the burn 0 percent? so it wont look that harsh
    Yea its on 0%. Woah its so much work man.

Quote Originally Posted by maddyks View Post
    But if I burn, then it kind of makes the photo darker, doesn't it? I cant just burn around the fireworks area, i have to burn whole of photo right?
    nope, try using burn 3-5&#37my personally setting) and set it to midtones and do some slight burn on the more obvious smoke before changing it to shadows and burn again. but like i say, poor or too much burning might make it looks weird.

another way is like what Dan have said, use U-point from Nikon capture NX. great tools
    Last edited by ExplorerZ; 2nd March 2007 at 09:09 PM.

Of course result depends on yourself
    1.Go to select color range, click the black sky & push slider to extreme right.
    2. Now you MAY want to use curves to darken the overall sky.
    3. Now paint back/mask parts where smoke is necessarty especially lower parts where sky meets water.

cheers!

actually its because his shutter speed is slow, that's why even the not very bright smoke can be picked up by the camera...

one easy way to reduce smoke is simply, in levels, push the black level to the right...this would reduce the smoke...but don't push too much or the image becomes too dark...and like others have mentioned a bit of smoke makes it more real...