Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 21

Thread: Merlion, did u see...

  1. #1
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Singapore, western area
    Posts
    5,337

    Default Merlion, did u see...

    Hi all, just wondering if anyone read the newspaper on our Singapore merlion in japan. Guess it was a few days back only, can't really remember. But from many threads i read about people shooting the merlion in Singapore is so boring until no more angle..maybe CSers can organise the trip to japan to shoot our 'new' merlion.

    Not sure if anyone brought this topic up, but nevertheless, a new merlion, a new angle for everyone!
    And for everyone who has not shot it, its the same playing field for everyone!~

  2. #2
    Moderator ortega's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    Singapore, Singapore, Singapor
    Posts
    23,686
    Blog Entries
    7

    Default Re: Merlion, did u see...

    actually there are more than 3 merlions in singapore

    in fact there are 5 approved merlions
    and some unofficial merlions

    also china also have merlion

  3. #3
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Location
    West side of S'pore
    Posts
    5,528

    Default Re: Merlion, did u see...

    Singapore got many more "unofficial" merlion too...just go to Boat Quay at 3am on Sunday morning and you see many ppl "merlioning" into the Singapore River.

  4. #4
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Location
    東京 Tokyo
    Posts
    10,193

    Default Re: Merlion, did u see...

    oh yah, japanese remembers singapore by merlion ... ... merlion in japan? i think there were small ones now and then at events, permanent installation haven't heard of leh, anyone got info? maybe can go see see

  5. #5
    Moderator ortega's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    Singapore, Singapore, Singapor
    Posts
    23,686
    Blog Entries
    7

    Default Re: Merlion, did u see...

    Quote Originally Posted by eikin View Post
    oh yah, japanese remembers singapore by merlion ... ... merlion in japan? i think there were small ones now and then at events, permanent installation haven't heard of leh, anyone got info? maybe can go see see
    Variations of the Merlion have found their place outside Singapore. A Singaporean newspaper discovered that in the Osaka suburb of Moriguchi, there is a Merlion, albeit one without a fish tail. Inspired by the Merlion in Singapore that symbolized an international city, the Moriguchi Lions Club built it to mark its 35th anniversary in 1996.

    from here

  6. #6
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Location
    東京 Tokyo
    Posts
    10,193

    Default Re: Merlion, did u see...

    Quote Originally Posted by ortega View Post
    Variations of the Merlion have found their place outside Singapore. A Singaporean newspaper discovered that in the Osaka suburb of Moriguchi, there is a Merlion, albeit one without a fish tail. Inspired by the Merlion in Singapore that symbolized an international city, the Moriguchi Lions Club built it to mark its 35th anniversary in 1996.

    from here
    huh? no fish tail? ogiginal version cannot lah ... anyway still don't understand why japanese are so interested in the merlion ... they really go all the way to singapore just to see the merlion (other than shopping for branded goods lah)

  7. #7
    Moderator ortega's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    Singapore, Singapore, Singapor
    Posts
    23,686
    Blog Entries
    7

    Default Re: Merlion, did u see...

    the merlion chocs and cookies are nice to eat!

  8. #8
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Location
    東京 Tokyo
    Posts
    10,193

    Default Re: Merlion, did u see...

    Quote Originally Posted by ortega View Post
    the merlion chocs and cookies are nice to eat!
    you must be kidding!

    oh yah, that's another thing they like, 'singapore chocolate' ... never know we've had that until i come japan

  9. #9
    Senior Member Big Kahuna's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Singapore, Singapore, Singapor
    Posts
    2,127

    Default Re: Merlion, did u see...

    The Jap's Merlion is in Sapporo leh.....how many people can afford just to go there to shoot merlion? Shoot scenary of Hokkaido better

  10. #10
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Location
    東京 Tokyo
    Posts
    10,193

    Default Re: Merlion, did u see...

    Quote Originally Posted by Big Kahuna View Post
    The Jap's Merlion is in Sapporo leh.....how many people can afford just to go there to shoot merlion? Shoot scenary of Hokkaido better
    you mean at the snow festival? oh yah ... it costs a bomb to go hokkaido, going to korea is cheaper

  11. #11
    Moderator ortega's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    Singapore, Singapore, Singapor
    Posts
    23,686
    Blog Entries
    7

    Default Re: Merlion, did u see...

    Quote Originally Posted by eikin View Post
    you must be kidding!

    oh yah, that's another thing they like, 'singapore chocolate' ... never know we've had that until i come japan
    singapore chocs can be found in jurong

  12. #12
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Singapore, western area
    Posts
    5,337

    Default Re: Merlion, did u see...

    maybe just take macro of merlion keychains then..haha and chocs also can...=S

  13. #13

    Default Re: Merlion, did u see...

    Quote Originally Posted by eikin View Post
    you mean at the snow festival? oh yah ... it costs a bomb to go hokkaido, going to korea is cheaper
    if u in tokyo, can take the budget flight to hokkaido. Thereafter, self drive, stay at youth hostel. That will cost down a lot. But be careful, Hokkaido is eartquake prone. Good luck

  14. #14
    Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Pacman's Corner
    Posts
    406

    Default Re: Merlion, did u see...

    Quote Originally Posted by ortega View Post
    singapore chocs can be found in jurong
    really man? its probably made in JB?

  15. #15
    Moderator ortega's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    Singapore, Singapore, Singapor
    Posts
    23,686
    Blog Entries
    7

    Default Re: Merlion, did u see...

    Quote Originally Posted by Jix View Post
    really man? its probably made in JB?
    ask ppl who stay in jurong, there is a choc factory there
    everyday got strong smell of chocolate.
    or could it be milo???

  16. #16
    Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Pacman's Corner
    Posts
    406

    Default Re: Merlion, did u see...

    Quote Originally Posted by ortega View Post
    ask ppl who stay in jurong, there is a choc factory there
    everyday got strong smell of chocolate.
    or could it be milo???
    could be the milo man, never heard of singapore chocs. but if there is, it would be interesting to live there. nothing better than chocolate in the morning... hmmm

  17. #17

    Default Re: Merlion, did u see...

    There are a few chocolate/cocoa factories in Singapore. ADM Cocoa, Aalst and Cadbury are a few.

    BC

  18. #18
    Moderator ortega's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    Singapore, Singapore, Singapor
    Posts
    23,686
    Blog Entries
    7

    Default Re: Merlion, did u see...


  19. #19

    Default Re: Merlion, did u see...

    Quote Originally Posted by Scaglietti View Post
    There are a few chocolate/cocoa factories in Singapore. ADM Cocoa, Aalst and Cadbury are a few.

    BC
    Cadbury's factory is there. Without fail, everyday after 5pm chocolate smell will invade Jurong West...

  20. #20
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Location
    東京 Tokyo
    Posts
    10,193

    Default Re: Merlion, did u see...

    Quote Originally Posted by sigg View Post
    if u in tokyo, can take the budget flight to hokkaido. Thereafter, self drive, stay at youth hostel. That will cost down a lot. But be careful, Hokkaido is eartquake prone. Good luck
    don't drive in japan, but can get student discount. anyway, factoring all these in, it is still cheaper to join a package tour to korea one reason why so many japanese fly out of the country when they are on holiday, cause going out is cheaper than staying in

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •