Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Results 21 to 40 of 46

Thread: Grey or no grey?

  1. #21

    Default Re: Grey or no grey?

    Quote Originally Posted by Artosoft View Post
    What can warranty do with non sharp copy of lens ?

    Regards,
    Arto.
    Well... I have a fren whose Auto focus fail to work after only 2 months... bring back to canon.. free...(Something wrong with the contact points) so grey set gone case.. you have to pay leow You can also bring back for calibration if under canon warranty right? (The latter I am not sure.. so far nothing wrong with my new lens which are bought under warranty touch wood)

  2. #22

    Default Re: Grey or no grey?

    Quote Originally Posted by Snoweagle View Post
    So to summarise, grey set is perfectly fine.
    I agree... grey and save $$$

  3. #23
    Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Singapore, Singapore, Singapor
    Posts
    1,109

    Default Re: Grey or no grey?

    Quote Originally Posted by deckard View Post
    grey is good!
    Don't like grey, prefer black..

    I don't buy very expensive stuff, so the price difference not much...anyway, I just go to reputable shop like CP, Lords, Mscolor, etc to get equipment, and keep the warranty. With film, I don't have need for warranty, cause shooting less frequently, but with digital, its too many shots that you need to send to NSC for servicing, or at least general cleaning...
    "Photography is an austere and blazing poetry of the real" -Ansel Adams

  4. #24
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Pasir Ris, Singapore
    Posts
    14,002

    Default Re: Grey or no grey?

    Quote Originally Posted by miniUltraman View Post
    I agree... grey and save $$$
    But only risk is that if anything fails within a year, have to pay for servicing.
    Canon EOS 5D, 24-70 f/4 L IS, 50 f/1.2 L, 70-300 f/4-5.6 L IS, 600EX-RT. Sigma 12-24 f/4.5-5.6 EX.

  5. #25
    Senior Member jOhO's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    6,485

    Default Re: Grey or no grey?

    non-grey supporter here.

    if i buy brand new i will always buy warranty set.

    even if i buy second hand within a year i still have warranty in case anything. same if i sell within a year, my buyer has a few months left to ensure everything working, if not still covered.

    that's why i only buy lenses in HK (international warranty). bodies i can't/won't.

    at the rate i use my equipment, 1 year to me could be say 5 years to some...

    so i guess it also really depends on how much u use, to determine the "worth" of that one year warranty.

    btw.. how are u bro!! wat body u wanna buy? s5?

  6. #26
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Tanjong Katong
    Posts
    3,710

    Default Re: Grey or no grey?

    Quote Originally Posted by miniUltraman View Post
    Well... I have a fren whose Auto focus fail to work after only 2 months... bring back to canon.. free...(Something wrong with the contact points) so grey set gone case.. you have to pay leow You can also bring back for calibration if under canon warranty right? (The latter I am not sure.. so far nothing wrong with my new lens which are bought under warranty touch wood)
    This is different case. Your example doesn't related to soft copy of lens, unless THAT is your definition of soft copy.

    Grey set usually get 1 week shop warranty. Anything wrong (like in your friend's case, auto focus fail), the shop will take care of it. Of course, you need to know where the good shop for it...

    Regards,
    Arto.

  7. #27
    Senior Member xunjas's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Singapura
    Posts
    6,490

    Default Re: Grey or no grey?

    Quote Originally Posted by Snoweagle View Post
    But only risk is that if anything fails within a year, have to pay for servicing.
    true lor.. unless the grey set is very high quality and reliable, hopefully the item is pretty safe from fault.. hehe.. 3rd party grey products sounds pretty unsafe to me..

  8. #28
    Senior Member xunjas's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Singapura
    Posts
    6,490

    Default Re: Grey or no grey?

    Quote Originally Posted by Artosoft View Post
    This is different case. Your example doesn't related to soft copy of lens, unless THAT is your definition of soft copy.

    Grey set usually get 1 week shop warranty. Anything wrong (like in your friend's case, auto focus fail), the shop will take care of it. Of course, you need to know where the good shop for it...

    Regards,
    Arto.
    yup.. standard 7D warranty for grey sets by shops is usually available..

  9. #29
    Senior Member Big Kahuna's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Singapore, Singapore, Singapor
    Posts
    2,127

    Default Re: Grey or no grey?

    It depends.

    $450 out of $10000 = no go
    $450 out of $5000 = maybe
    $450 out of $1000 = sure go

  10. #30

    Default Re: Grey or no grey?

    Quote Originally Posted by Big Kahuna View Post
    It depends.

    $450 out of $10000 = no go
    $450 out of $5000 = maybe
    $450 out of $1000 = sure go
    all go! $450 is still money. can use to buy a flash

  11. #31
    Senior Member Big Kahuna's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Singapore, Singapore, Singapor
    Posts
    2,127

    Default Re: Grey or no grey?

    Quote Originally Posted by user111 View Post
    all go! $450 is still money. can use to buy a flash
    Yaeh...later tio lemon then you got to sell away a few flashes

  12. #32
    Senior Member josho's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    Jln Teck Whye
    Posts
    2,110

    Default Re: Grey or no grey?

    Basket.. I never ask properly.. $4110 is actually grey. ~_~ ... Go down to the shop then tell me 4.4K is warranty... (faint big time)

    Look like I go for Grey! haha..

    jOhO - u hardcore ma.. thats why.. hahaha. I jumping to another 5... haha.. I saw, feel, molest S5.. Too D200.. hahaha.. S3 body still the best! haha ;P

  13. #33
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Pasir Ris, Singapore
    Posts
    14,002

    Default Re: Grey or no grey?

    Quote Originally Posted by xunjas View Post
    true lor.. unless the grey set is very high quality and reliable, hopefully the item is pretty safe from fault.. hehe.. 3rd party grey products sounds pretty unsafe to me..
    Agree. I also feel safer with originals grey products.
    Canon EOS 5D, 24-70 f/4 L IS, 50 f/1.2 L, 70-300 f/4-5.6 L IS, 600EX-RT. Sigma 12-24 f/4.5-5.6 EX.

  14. #34

    Default Re: Grey or no grey?

    Quote Originally Posted by Artosoft View Post
    This is different case. Your example doesn't related to soft copy of lens, unless THAT is your definition of soft copy.

    Grey set usually get 1 week shop warranty. Anything wrong (like in your friend's case, auto focus fail), the shop will take care of it. Of course, you need to know where the good shop for it...

    Regards,
    Arto.
    but the autofocus only failed after 2 months not 1 week.

  15. #35

    Default Re: Grey or no grey?

    Quote Originally Posted by Snoweagle View Post
    Agree. I also feel safer with originals grey products.
    I will trust canon QC on "L" lens. So if I am able to save >$300, I will go for grey.

  16. #36
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Pasir Ris, Singapore
    Posts
    14,002

    Default Re: Grey or no grey?

    Quote Originally Posted by miniUltraman View Post
    I will trust canon QC on "L" lens. So if I am able to save >$300, I will go for grey.
    For that price, what do u want to buy with it?
    Canon EOS 5D, 24-70 f/4 L IS, 50 f/1.2 L, 70-300 f/4-5.6 L IS, 600EX-RT. Sigma 12-24 f/4.5-5.6 EX.

  17. #37
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Tanjong Katong
    Posts
    3,710

    Default Re: Grey or no grey?

    Quote Originally Posted by miniUltraman View Post
    but the autofocus only failed after 2 months not 1 week.
    That's isolated case. You don't pray for every lenses will failed after 2 months don't you...

    You still can pay for repair grey set.

    Regards,
    Arto.

  18. #38
    Senior Member xunjas's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Singapura
    Posts
    6,490

    Default Re: Grey or no grey?

    Quote Originally Posted by Snoweagle View Post
    Agree. I also feel safer with originals grey products.
    n they must be from reowned brands like canon or nikons.. i dun trust those grey third party brands.. hehe..

  19. #39
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Pasir Ris, Singapore
    Posts
    14,002

    Default Re: Grey or no grey?

    Quote Originally Posted by xunjas View Post
    n they must be from reowned brands like canon or nikons.. i dun trust those grey third party brands.. hehe..
    Yeah...but somehow i trust those 'camera devices' batts from Eastgear leh hehe.
    Canon EOS 5D, 24-70 f/4 L IS, 50 f/1.2 L, 70-300 f/4-5.6 L IS, 600EX-RT. Sigma 12-24 f/4.5-5.6 EX.

  20. #40

    Default Re: Grey or no grey?

    Quote Originally Posted by Snoweagle View Post
    Yeah...but somehow i trust those 'camera devices' batts from Eastgear leh hehe.
    warranty issues too. Originals dun have warranties on them and IIRC EG has a 6 months warranty.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •