Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 12347 ... LastLast

Thread: CANON-THE NEW PAPER Young Photographer of the Year

Default Re: CANON-THE NEW PAPER Young Photographer of the Year

Basically this is a very innovative job ad (defnitely not your run of the mill photo competition), you have to be interested in becoming a news photographer before you even consider joining. The internship will probably turn into a real job once they confirm your potential. Which is why they put you thru the paces. Anytime better than a face to face job interview, plus flipping some photo albums. Funny why they consider people above 35 being incapable of becoming a news photographer? Gov wants people to work as long as possible, but companies only want YOUNG employees... Totally weird.

Looks fun Should give it a shot to see how "journalistic" i'am...

maybe because nowadays there are more and more aspiring young photographers coming up.
    Not worth it unless they pay you at least $1.5k per month.
    But internship=no pay?
    Some may do it for passion,not me.

Default Re: Canon TNP Young Photographer Of The Year

Quote Originally Posted by Adelfin View Post
    and it doesn't say how long the internship is.. how will people plan their time even if they can join?
    Looks like they've updated the site to state the internship is at least four weeks in duration.

Default Re: Canon TNP Young Photographer Of The Year

Quote Originally Posted by flask View Post
    Looks like they've updated the site to state the internship is at least four weeks in duration.
    yah.. did they just changed the content? 10k worth of prizes become 5k? i thought pro-grade is the 24L, 50L and 100mm f2.8.. kekekeke..

Seems interesting .... Pro Grade ? if like tt sae ... i already got one le ...
    Canon5DMk2//17-40L//70-200 F2.8L//24-105L//35L//135L

me 33 still consider young damn happy lah
    Canon 1D MK3,28-200 F3.5-5.6, 100 F2
    My Models

Quote Originally Posted by allakazoo View Post
    Basically this is a very innovative job ad (defnitely not your run of the mill photo competition), you have to be interested in becoming a news photographer before you even consider joining. The internship will probably turn into a real job once they confirm your potential. Which is why they put you thru the paces. Anytime better than a face to face job interview, plus flipping some photo albums. Funny why they consider people above 35 being incapable of becoming a news photographer? Gov wants people to work as long as possible, but companies only want YOUNG employees... Totally weird.
    this internship has pros n cons - it is a gd job to do photography, get to work in newspaper company.. but prizes has a catch.. not so good on that n that age limit.. is there a problem with > 35 yr-old photographer.. hmmm..

Quote Originally Posted by xunjas View Post
    this internship has pros n cons - it is a gd job to do photography, get to work in newspaper company.. but prizes has a catch.. not so good on that n that age limit.. is there a problem with > 35 yr-old photographer.. hmmm..
    Well, it's called Young Photographer of the Year after all..

I guess 30+ already pushing it leh!

very simple....only photogs with passion need apply.

this is a gd opportunity for the budding young photog IMHO. if i was 16 and crazy abt photography, i would definitely give it a go!

Have good photo also cannot submit already as I am too old for the competition....

What a disappointment????

haha.. can defer army if i have to go for the internship?

Quote Originally Posted by friends View Post
    Have good photo also cannot submit already as I am too old for the competition....

What a disappointment????
    They did say its for young photographers of that age..perhaps they want to train young proteges at an early stage so that they can join the company...

Quote Originally Posted by allakazoo View Post
    The internship does not guarantee a permanent job even if they regconised your potential. Bare in mind that they pay interns- well... an internship Allowance (not salary) and you have to work for a minimum of 8 hours, often more. be prepared to burn your weekends and public holidays as well.

that being said, it's a good place to work and learn from excellent photojournalists like Mohd Ishak and Jonathan Choo.
    Last edited by jlchong; 2nd March 2007 at 02:09 AM.

sorry guys, but i find it rather odd to think that this is for "cheap labour"...

a 4 wk internship with say $1000 allowance ($50 a day for 20 working days) and $5000 in gear... wouldn't it be cheaper to just hire a freelancer for $2k? even if work for 6 mths also it barely evens out...

plus, news photography is not the same thing as taking nice pictures of sunsets or pretty girls. i think the amount a young photographer can learn from on the job training is worth far more than whatever the newspaper can squeeze out of him or her in that short time. if got very difficult job, you think they'll give a newbie to do?

maybe we should be less cynical about this. it's just a chance for someone to win some prizes, get some experience and maybe a foothold in the industry. for the organisers, it's good publicity, and a way to talent scout.

I believe most of u all never read the article that illustrate more on why TNP organise this.

Basically, current TNP photojournalists went through unusual ways to end up being photojournalist. Meaning, at their time, they dun have the opportunity (like this contest) or training to becoming a good photojournalist

Thats why this contest comes along

I will urge those who plan to participate or found the internship to be ridicule to read the article...

Quote Originally Posted by cjl View Post
    I believe most of u all never read the article that illustrate more on why TNP organise this.

Basically, current TNP photojournalists went through unusual ways to end up being photojournalist. Meaning, at their time, they dun have the opportunity (like this contest) or training to becoming a good photojournalist

Thats why this contest comes along

I will urge those who plan to participate or found the internship to be ridicule to read the article...

yup totally agree..
    you can serve the internship one year after competition date. One year not enough time to plan your work/studies? aiya got chance to win things don't complain mah.

50mm f1.2L, 24mm f1.4L & 180mm macro f3.5L and 1Dmk3, i dun mind working 4 weeks as a intern! about $3350 per week!

Yeah, some people undergo voluntary internship leh..

Now they throw it in perhaps some younger people like those fresh out of school and waiting to go to say uni, or for other stuff would love it even more. It shouldn't be too ugly on one's resume, anyways, if we must be all that pragmatic.

intern??
    im working as one now...
    pay wise.. $500 per mth ... lol
    Mountain Training #101: Crouching Photographer Hidden Ladder

Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 12347 ... LastLast