Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast
Results 101 to 120 of 136

Thread: Audio enthusiasts: Your opinions?

  1. #101

    Default Re: Audio enthusiasts: Your opinions?

    Quote Originally Posted by Gymrat76 View Post
    Nope, have not gotten anything yet

    Will try to find some time to audition the KRK's this weekend and see how good they are. Then decide from there. Just wondering, how reliable are active monitors? I mean in terms of having years and years of problem-free operation
    My pair of Yamaha MSP5 has been serving me for years already. No point going for power amp combination if you don't have a pair of very good speakers. Look for biamp studio monitors. They do make a difference because the crossover used is active and does not degrade the audio that much because there's no need to handle the high power. Passive crossovers are more lossy because they need to handle the power needed for the drivers.

  2. #102

    Default Re: Audio enthusiasts: Your opinions?

    Quote Originally Posted by josho View Post
    How? Got ur stuff? Didnt update on this thread as much. LOL.

    KRK is good but then I used it for just coming a year and the transformer die on me. Took 3mth to ship the bloody stuff.... From then... I sold my KRK and got TR Event XL for my music production. Lol

    Mackie HR 624 (love)
    How much is that selling for here and where can I get it? I simply love the extended lows of the HR824 but think it's too big for my home. The HR624 seems to be better suited.

  3. #103

    Default Re: Audio enthusiasts: Your opinions?

    Quote Originally Posted by lsisaxon View Post
    If it's an active sub, you need to split the signal from the preamp/mixer to go to the power amp and the active sub.
    OK thanks.

    Another thing. Lets say I opt for a mixer and a pair of active monitors (e.g. KRK's V6 IIs) -are these nice for casual music listening? I mean, studio monitors are supposed to be as neutral as possible , right? How will they compare to listening with a pair of hifi speakers (non-monitors)? Will it sound more 'flat'?

    And since the V6's have a freq response down to 55Hz, I may be able to do away with a subwoofer most of the times, right?

  4. #104

    Default Re: Audio enthusiasts: Your opinions?

    Quote Originally Posted by Gymrat76 View Post
    OK thanks.

    Another thing. Lets say I opt for a mixer and a pair of active monitors (e.g. KRK's V6 IIs) -are these nice for casual music listening? I mean, studio monitors are supposed to be as neutral as possible , right? How will they compare to listening with a pair of hifi speakers (non-monitors)? Will it sound more 'flat'?

    And since the V6's have a freq response down to 55Hz, I may be able to do away with a subwoofer most of the times, right?
    Yes, studio monitors are supposed to sound more flat as well as more detailed than hifi speakers. Transients are better handled also, so drums will sound punchy and basslines very detailed. Vocals will sound so clear that you could almost hear the saliva in the throat if the recording is good.

    Hifi speakers are usually coloured which is why some speakers are good for jazz, some good for vocals, or rock etc.. It depends on which part of the audio spectrum the speaker is biased towards or against. These usually has to do with the LF driver design and the crossover cutoff frequency.

    The reason why I would recommend biamp studio monitors is that each of the amp is talor made for the drivers so you could almost not hear the crossover at all. However, having said all these, my pair of MSP5 isn't as flat as I would like it to be also, so I have to run the signal through a digital eq also.

  5. #105

    Default Re: Audio enthusiasts: Your opinions?

    Quote Originally Posted by lsisaxon View Post
    Yes, studio monitors are supposed to sound more flat as well as more detailed than hifi speakers. Transients are better handled also, so drums will sound punchy and basslines very detailed. Vocals will sound so clear that you could almost hear the saliva in the throat if the recording is good.

    Hifi speakers are usually coloured which is why some speakers are good for jazz, some good for vocals, or rock etc.. It depends on which part of the audio spectrum the speaker is biased towards or against. These usually has to do with the LF driver design and the crossover cutoff frequency.

    The reason why I would recommend biamp studio monitors is that each of the amp is talor made for the drivers so you could almost not hear the crossover at all. However, having said all these, my pair of MSP5 isn't as flat as I would like it to be also, so I have to run the signal through a digital eq also.
    Heh, my point is that I would probably be listening to music (CDs) a lot more often than I would be recording and mixing my own stuff (fairly rarely, only when I can find the time). BTW, I listen to a mixture of jazz (I like female vocals tracks), a bit of 80-90s rock and a bit of pop sometimes. Also since they're sitting on my computer table, I'd probably plug my PC in also and use them for gaming

    Given this scenario, would the biamped monitors still be the better choice for me?

  6. #106
    Senior Member josho's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    Jln Teck Whye
    Posts
    2,110

    Default Re: Audio enthusiasts: Your opinions?

    HR824 and 624 size isnt that huge but the pricing are. Try calling Swee Lee Music at Sims Place.

    Flat response is good as everything is near to the neutral sound. Lets put in a simple way of you shoot using A brand camera model.

    Then you do photoshop on it to make it beautiful and look nice. <-This is Hi-Fi. Reason why I put in this way is because they had boast in certain frequencies especially the Lo. Just like the preset EQ stored in it.

    And also, do make sure no other noise interference your music when you enjoying. I meant like, close ur window so you wun get irritated

    Big driver is good Hence I chosen my TR8XL. More then enuff for me then a Mackie HR824 which is $ killer. HA!

    I would suggest you to go ppl house and enjoy and get the rough idea. If you stay nearby me, I welcome you.

    This is my monitor speaker. Click on the image to view for more info.


  7. #107

    Default Re: Audio enthusiasts: Your opinions?

    After reading a few post in this thread, I am quite confused. Is it Hi-Fi stuff or sound reinforcement stuff sought here?

    Hi-Fi stuff are no good mixed with sound reinforcement stuff and vice-versa... I tried it and it simply sound awful!

    Frequency response and linearity of sound reinforcement equipment (mixers, amps, etc) can't make it for high fidelity setup. I am talking about audiophile kind of sound quality.

    Hi-Fi equipment does not sound good in sound reinforcement setup too. Hi-Fi amps are no good in driving speakers meant for sound reinforcements. Hi-Fi speakers sound aweful with sound reinforcement amps. Hi-Fi quality CD player is simply a waste if used with mixers and such.

    BC

  8. #108

    Default Re: Audio enthusiasts: Your opinions?

    Quote Originally Posted by lsisaxon View Post
    Yes, studio monitors are supposed to sound more flat as well as more detailed than hifi speakers. Transients are better handled also, so drums will sound punchy and basslines very detailed. Vocals will sound so clear that you could almost hear the saliva in the throat if the recording is good.....
    I don't fully agree here... it'll depends on what "hi-fi" speakers you are talking about...

    BC

  9. #109

    Default Re: Audio enthusiasts: Your opinions?

    Quote Originally Posted by josho View Post
    HR824 and 624 size isnt that huge but the pricing are. Try calling Swee Lee Music at Sims Place.

    Flat response is good as everything is near to the neutral sound. Lets put in a simple way of you shoot using A brand camera model.

    Then you do photoshop on it to make it beautiful and look nice. <-This is Hi-Fi. Reason why I put in this way is because they had boast in certain frequencies especially the Lo. Just like the preset EQ stored in it.

    And also, do make sure no other noise interference your music when you enjoying. I meant like, close ur window so you wun get irritated

    Big driver is good Hence I chosen my TR8XL. More then enuff for me then a Mackie HR824 which is $ killer. HA!

    I would suggest you to go ppl house and enjoy and get the rough idea. If you stay nearby me, I welcome you.

    This is my monitor speaker. Click on the image to view for more info.

    Thanks dude. But I'm looking for something a bit smaller for my setup, prob go for the 6" driver units.

  10. #110

    Default Re: Audio enthusiasts: Your opinions?

    Quote Originally Posted by Scaglietti View Post
    After reading a few post in this thread, I am quite confused. Is it Hi-Fi stuff or sound reinforcement stuff sought here?

    Hi-Fi stuff are no good mixed with sound reinforcement stuff and vice-versa... I tried it and it simply sound awful!

    Frequency response and linearity of sound reinforcement equipment (mixers, amps, etc) can't make it for high fidelity setup. I am talking about audiophile kind of sound quality.

    Hi-Fi equipment does not sound good in sound reinforcement setup too. Hi-Fi amps are no good in driving speakers meant for sound reinforcements. Hi-Fi speakers sound aweful with sound reinforcement amps. Hi-Fi quality CD player is simply a waste if used with mixers and such.

    BC
    Hi, as mentioned earlier, I'm not going for audiophile high-fidelity sounding equipment. I'm realistic enough to know that there's a reason people pay good money to achieve that kind of quality

    Let me put it this way: I was initially looking to put together a music listening/recording system using a power amp/mixer combo and my pair of Tannoy CPA-5 speakers. Along the way, I learned that with a (lower) freq response of 75Hz, I would need to complement them with a subwoofer. Plus, they don't sound that fantastic, after I had compared them with my Mission speakers.

    Hence I am checking out the option of getting a pair of biamped monitors and a mixer (to allow me the flexibility of multiple inputs etc) instead of the above setup. I may still opt for the power amp/mixer combo in the end, depending on how impressed I am with the KRK's. I want something which I can listen to my CDs and MP3s which are nice-sounding, and yet a setup flexible enough so I can plug my guitar into and do recording (though that would be pretty rare). So mostly I'll likely have them connected to my PC and CD player (yet to purchase), sitting on my computer table (or on stands next to it, hence 6" max size) so I can use them for music listening, a bit of PC gaming and the occassional guitar recording.

  11. #111

    Default Re: Audio enthusiasts: Your opinions?

    Quote Originally Posted by Scaglietti View Post
    I don't fully agree here... it'll depends on what "hi-fi" speakers you are talking about...

    BC
    I agree with that. The problem is that you'll have to spend a lot of money to get those monitor class hifi speakers. Budget studio monitors sounds decent enough for the money you pay, same amount of money cannot get you hifi speakers which sound as good.

  12. #112

    Default Re: Audio enthusiasts: Your opinions?

    Quote Originally Posted by Gymrat76 View Post
    Heh, my point is that I would probably be listening to music (CDs) a lot more often than I would be recording and mixing my own stuff (fairly rarely, only when I can find the time). BTW, I listen to a mixture of jazz (I like female vocals tracks), a bit of 80-90s rock and a bit of pop sometimes. Also since they're sitting on my computer table, I'd probably plug my PC in also and use them for gaming

    Given this scenario, would the biamped monitors still be the better choice for me?
    Yes of course. Everything that's mastered to sound good should sound good with studio monitors. They are as close to flat response as you can get for the money. Renowned mastering labs use very expensive speakers which are calibrated to be flat for final mastering, so what you get from the CD would be as close as what the mastering engineer intended. If you are not used to flast response, you might take a while to get used to the kind of sound. But if you don't know how commercial CDs sound over studio monitors, would you be confident enough to do a proper mix?
    Last edited by lsisaxon; 8th March 2007 at 10:37 PM.

  13. #113

    Default Re: Audio enthusiasts: Your opinions?

    Quote Originally Posted by lsisaxon View Post
    Yes of course. Everything that's mastered to sound good should sound good with studio monitors. They are as close to flat response as you can get for the money. Renowned mastering labs use very expensive speakers which are calibrated to be flat for final mastering, so what you get from the CD would be as close as what the mastering engineer intended. If you are not used to flast response, you might take a while to get used to the kind of sound. But if you don't know how commercial CDs sound over studio monitors, would you be confident enough to do a proper mix?
    OK thanks for clearing that up.

    ANother question would be how reliable or durable are biamped speakers? I guess the chance of either amp failing would be 2x that of passive speakers since you have two separate amps. But how reliable are KRK's in that aspect? Sorry for all the questions, but I'm a relative newbie in this area.

  14. #114
    Senior Member josho's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    Jln Teck Whye
    Posts
    2,110

    Default Re: Audio enthusiasts: Your opinions?

    I agreed with lsisaxon.

    In short, choose a minimal set up is more then enough of what you need. You may get hi end stuff but yet not a proper acoustic treated room. It doesn't seem match afterall.

    To do production, I trust my earphone more thou I got my monitor speaker. This is due to enviroment.

    KRK is good and no doubt. But as I met my transformer die on me on KRK V4, I waited months to get it done. And also, my office using Rokpit and die after first few mth. What can I say? They are good but how reliable, I think.. since I got bad experience, I would want to comment on them. So far, my Event do me good, more then enough.

    To add in woofer is another thing because you must understand the frequencies well so as not to confuse your ear.

    You need more Audio CD (audiophile) then mp3 to understand the frequencies.

  15. #115

    Default Re: Audio enthusiasts: Your opinions?

    Quote Originally Posted by josho View Post
    I agreed with lsisaxon.

    In short, choose a minimal set up is more then enough of what you need. You may get hi end stuff but yet not a proper acoustic treated room. It doesn't seem match afterall.

    To do production, I trust my earphone more thou I got my monitor speaker. This is due to enviroment.

    KRK is good and no doubt. But as I met my transformer die on me on KRK V4, I waited months to get it done. And also, my office using Rokpit and die after first few mth. What can I say? They are good but how reliable, I think.. since I got bad experience, I would want to comment on them. So far, my Event do me good, more then enough.

    To add in woofer is another thing because you must understand the frequencies well so as not to confuse your ear.

    You need more Audio CD (audiophile) then mp3 to understand the frequencies.
    Hmmm, your experiece with KRK's doesn't instill much confidence in me to buy them

    Anyway, I'll go take a listen to them this weekend first then decide if I wanna splurge on them

    Are the prices on the Sinamex website fixed, or do they give further discounts?

  16. #116

    Default Re: Audio enthusiasts: Your opinions?

    no offence to josho, but honestly, i believe josho's case seems like a one off case.

    the KRK r selling like hot cakes at Sinamex.
    Many small studios in SG get KRK from them, so do home audio enthusiast's.

    listen to the KRK & u will be convinced.
    The Alesis monitors sound coloured compared to them.

    if u really want a flat response, try getting the good old Yamaha NS-10.
    They have been my workhorse for speech editing since the 90's.
    brutally honest & faithful.

  17. #117
    Senior Member josho's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    Jln Teck Whye
    Posts
    2,110

    Default Re: Audio enthusiasts: Your opinions?

    Quote Originally Posted by GmbH. View Post
    no offence to josho, but honestly, i believe josho's case seems like a one off case.
    I sway ma.

    Pls do not misunderstood what I mean. Im speaking base on fact as to share, not to stop ppl from buying. Yes, it is selling hotcake which I had to agree. When I got my KRK V4, its the time when it just come into the market. And thats the 1st Series which I got.

    I believe that Series 2 is the improved version as compared to its old brother.

    I believe that Yamaha NS-10 is hard find now. Unless Gymrat76 is purely into just vocal and speech then NS-10 is a wise choice. But nevertheless, these are just the comments we are stating. All got to depend what does he really like.

    Gymrat76- do bring down ur favourite CD to Sinamex and try the sound of KRK. Daniel will be more then happy to guide you thru.

    As for Sinamex discount for KRK, usually it is stated there. But try to gain some discount if possible. No harm trying.
    Last edited by josho; 9th March 2007 at 10:07 AM.

  18. #118

    Default Re: Audio enthusiasts: Your opinions?

    Quote Originally Posted by Gymrat76 View Post
    OK thanks for clearing that up.

    ANother question would be how reliable or durable are biamped speakers? I guess the chance of either amp failing would be 2x that of passive speakers since you have two separate amps. But how reliable are KRK's in that aspect? Sorry for all the questions, but I'm a relative newbie in this area.
    Well, that's not true.. With power amp and speaker combination, the chances that an operator error to short out and blow the transistors are much much higher than using powered speakers. Moreover, the amps power and the power handling of the drivers are matched, so the power is not too much that it may blow the coil or too little that you need to crank the levels up until you start to get harmonics distortion, which is more dangerous because the harmonics generated by the low frequencies would cross over into the tweeter which has less power handling capacity than the woofers.

    Also, we are not looking at sound reinforcement which requires a large amount of power to fill a large venue. 100W is more than enough, most of the time you'll be running under 10W anyway. So the tendency for something to fail is quite minimal.

    My pair of Yamaha MSP5 has been serving me for at least more than 5 years now.. I think I got it in 1999 or 2000 if I remember correctly. Josho's case is probably a one off which got past the QC. Sometimes it just happens, otherwise it should last very long. I have a friend who wanted to buy the Behringer Reference A500 but one day he happened to pop into Sinamex and fell in love with the sound of the Alesis M1 Active (I think it's the 620) instead. I have yet to go to his place to have a listen even though he's been asking since Jan.

  19. #119

    Default Re: Audio enthusiasts: Your opinions?

    Quote Originally Posted by josho View Post
    I sway ma.

    Pls do not misunderstood what I mean. Im speaking base on fact as to share, not to stop ppl from buying. Yes, it is selling hotcake which I had to agree. When I got my KRK V4, its the time when it just come into the market. And thats the 1st Series which I got.

    I believe that Series 2 is the improved version as compared to its old brother.

    I believe that Yamaha NS-10 is hard find now. Unless Gymrat76 is purely into just vocal and speech then NS-10 is a wise choice. But nevertheless, these are just the comments we are stating. All got to depend what does he really like.

    Gymrat76- do bring down ur favourite CD to Sinamex and try the sound of KRK. Daniel will be more then happy to guide you thru.

    As for Sinamex discount for KRK, usually it is stated there. But try to gain some discount if possible. No harm trying.
    The new HS-50M is using the distinctive white cone of the NS series. One thing I don't like about the NS-10 is that it is not flat. It is coloured in such a way that if your mix sounds good on them, it should sound good anywhere. Good for mixing but not for mastering. I haven't really evaluated the HS-50M but I think the MSP series sounds much better. But of course, the HS series is much cheaper.

    As far as vocals is concerned, studio monitors should never have a problem because they are generally able to handle more complex material. Even properly mastered Rock and Heavy Metal can sound very good! Bring some Bon Jovi or GnR if you have them when you go to audition the speakers. If those kind of music can sound good, anything can sound good!
    Last edited by lsisaxon; 9th March 2007 at 04:59 PM.

  20. #120

    Default Re: Audio enthusiasts: Your opinions?

    if u wanna auction wharferdale, i have a pair of diamond 8.1 (not for sales). feel free to call me, i tell u my opinion

    u can also take a look at 2nd hand market, sometimes can get cheap and good speakers and amps. i got a pair of 2nd mission which sounds not bad

    too long not into hifi so i'm not so sure of the current models

Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •