Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast

Thread: Audio enthusiasts: Your opinions?

Default Re: Audio enthusiasts: Your opinions?

Quote Originally Posted by Tetrode View Post
    A lot of the soundtracks out there are very badly mastered. So unless you are listening to only audiophile mastered or well mastered material, and everything in your reproduction chain is top notch, you may find that not everything you listen to will be enjoyable. Remember studio monitors are made to reveal the flaws of a recording (so that you can correct them).

My Krell setup is so revealing that it is like a surgeon's scalpel - it reveals all the flaws of the recordings and really restricts the material I listen to. Good recordings are heavenly but not everything I listen to is well recorded (some material just doesn't come well recorded). So I have other systems that are more forgiving of the material (yet not sacrificing all fidelity) that those recordings that are not sterling to begin with; are bearable and even enjoyable listening to.
    I so very agree with this. But I am so used to studio monitors that I can't stand muddy sounds from meagre consumer systems. Best bang for the bucks are still lower end tudio monitors, they are not as revealing as the top notch ones but really give consumer systems in the same price range a run for their money.

I listen to a lot of american (imported) recordings (mainly country) and I think the mastering of most Asian recordings are really bad. The few good ones are mainly Taiwanese.

Quote Originally Posted by lsisaxon View Post
    I so very agree with this. But I am so used to studio monitors that I can't stand muddy sounds from meagre consumer systems. Best bang for the bucks are still lower end tudio monitors, they are not as revealing as the top notch ones but really give consumer systems in the same price range a run for their money.

I listen to a lot of american (imported) recordings (mainly country) and I think the mastering of most Asian recordings are really bad. The few good ones are mainly Taiwanese.
    Same sentiments.

I listen to my dad's setup in the living room and find the sound quality and imaging totally different. I just love neutral, uncoloured sound.

Well, while most consumer systems suck. The new Philips mini compos with ribbon transducers are really a cut above the rest. The ribbon tweeter speakers driven by the digital amps are more transparent that your average mini comps while not being harsh and strident. Really good value at their price points. Digital amp techology has brought true high fidelity down to significantly lower price points - because of the lack of need for expensive linear power supplies.

I've read somewhere that the ribbon tweeter technology is licenced from Eminent Technology. Can't really believe that since Philips has been making ribbon tweeters for many years.

Actually the ones in these new compos are not true ribbons but are closer to planar magnetic transducers (being tethered on all four sides) and etched aluminium on a mylar membrane. True ribbons are only tethered top and bottom.
    Last edited by Tetrode; 2nd March 2007 at 09:16 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Tetrode View Post
    Well, while most consumer systems suck. The new Philips mini compos with ribbon transducers are really a cut above the rest. The ribbon tweeter speakers driven by the digital amps are more transparent that your average mini comps while not being harsh and strident. Really good value at their price points. Digital amp techology has brought true high fidelity down to significantly lower price points - because of the lack of need for expensive linear power supplies.

I've read somewhere that the ribbon tweeter technology is licenced from Eminent Technology. Can't really believe that since Philips has been making ribbon tweeters for many years.

Actually the ones in these new compos are not true ribbons but are closer to planar magnetic transducers (being tethered on all four sides) and etched aluminium on a mylar membrane. True ribbons are only tethered top and bottom.
    Actually, I can't believe digital amps are already that good nowadays. I got a pair of Creative Gigaworks T20 and it's using digital amp. Clarity is there and the supposedly higher distortion in the higher frequencies can't be really heard anyway, it may have made the sound a little warmer. I tore it apart to change some opamps but couldn't change the ones on the bass/treble and volume controls because the trace to the pots were too long and caused undesired feedback with my wideband opamps Burr-Brown OPA2228.

The speakers are also not flat so recently I just put in the Behringer MiniFBQ to flatten it. Other than not having enough bands to curb the low frequence resonances, there's no complaints. Now it sounds good enough to me for non-critical listening. Now I'm wondering if I should change the opamps in the MiniFBQ to OPA2228 also. I guess it might not be worth the effort. Most of the stages are using LM4580 equivalents (CoolAudio) while the bands are using TL074s. So I guess it should be good enough for non-critical listening.
    Last edited by lsisaxon; 2nd March 2007 at 09:45 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Gymrat76 View Post
    Hi, I wanted a mixer for 2 reasons:

1. Thinking of plugging my guitar and doing some recording at some future point

2. Cheaper than getting a reasonable good pre-amp

3. Plus I want the option of having multiple input sources
    To be frank i second the suggestion for you to get a decent recording soundcard such as the EMU series by Creative as this gives u more flexibility in terms of recording as it has bundled software with it. It also gives good quality output to sources like studio monitors even for the lower end mackie Tapco or KRK as someone has mentioned. Normally people do multitrack recording nowadays frequently anyway so i don;t think the option of having multi input sources is important.

Quote Originally Posted by chanxj View Post
    To be frank i second the suggestion for you to get a decent recording soundcard such as the EMU series by Creative as this gives u more flexibility in terms of recording as it has bundled software with it. It also gives good quality output to sources like studio monitors even for the lower end mackie Tapco or KRK as someone has mentioned. Normally people do multitrack recording nowadays frequently anyway so i don;t think the option of having multi input sources is important.
    Sometimes, you don't want to turn on your PC to just enjoy some music. In that situation it would be good to have both. If you are a one-man show anyway, you would be recording one track at a time, an mixer with a decent Firewire/USB2 audio I/O would do just fine also.
    Last edited by lsisaxon; 3rd March 2007 at 02:11 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Garion View Post
    This one? http://www.avland.co.uk/denon/dm31/index.htm

You can look around Adelphi, I think one shop at the basement sells Denon midi systems, maybe they have the speakers there.

BTW which speakers you using now?
    Hi Garion,

Here in SG, I don't have much stuff. I have the Denon DM-31 with the Mission speakers, but thats for the living room. The only other speakers I have are the Tannoy CPA-5's which are the ones I'm planning on hooking up to the proposed setup.

Back in my mum's place in KL I have a pair of 40-year old JBL Century 100 studio monitors, which are still in excellent condition, and a single JBL Control 5 (which isn't so great) hooked up to a Yamaha Digital DSP amp. Unfortunately because of the size of the JBL speakers, I don't wanna bring them back to SG with me (else I would have swapped the Tannoys for the JBL's since they're underutilized in KL :P )

I may opt for better speakers that the Tannoys in the future for the setup I'm proposing, but I wanna put it together first and take a listen before I decide to do so. That's why I don't mind having another pair of the Mission SCM51 without the Denon UDM31 deck

Looks pretty good

Behringer EP2500 inside: http://www.behringer.com/ep2500/ep-inside.cfm?lang=eng

Looks pretty good

Behringer EP2500 inside: http://www.behringer.com/ep2500/ep-inside.cfm?lang=eng
    Looks good, but does it sound good? For a high power amplifier, the SNR is rated at the maximum power output, so if you're using at much lower level than the rated, then your noise level will be higher. Are you sure you want that? If you really want to get a power amplifier for your pair of Tannoys, I would think that the Behringer Reference Amplifier A500 might be better suited for you. Still, I would rather blow the money on a decent pair of active studio monitor speakers such as Alesis M1 Active 620 or mkII and forget about the CPA-5.
    Last edited by lsisaxon; 4th March 2007 at 04:20 AM.

I agree with Isisaxon.
    The proof of the pudding is always to listen to the gear.
    Specs tell you only half the story most of the time.

e.g. Tube amps measure very badly vs Transistor amps. Specs were what the manufacturers used in the early 70s to sell their new transistor amps. But now everyone knows that those transistor amps generally sounded terrible.

Tube amps generally sound more realistic and musical than most transistor amps (pound for pound, $ fo $).
    Last edited by Tetrode; 4th March 2007 at 04:23 AM.

Looks good, but does it sound good? For a high power amplifier, the SNR is rated at the maximum power output, so if you're using at much lower level than the rated, then your noise level will be higher. Are you sure you want that? If you really want to get a power amplifier for your pair of Tannoys, I would think that the Behringer Reference Amplifier A500 might be better suited for you. Still, I would rather blow the money on a decent pair of active studio monitor speakers such as Alesis M1 Active 620 or mkII and forget about the CPA-5.
    Thanks. I will check out the Alesis monitors when I have the chance.

Over the weekend I dropped by Sim Lim and looked around for active subs. One of the more affordable ones was an NAD 800SW going for $399 (or was it $299). Can't seem to find any reviews on it though.. its an active sub. Actually active sub or not, I think the Europower amps only have output channels for a pair of speakers. How do I connect the sub (if I get one) to the source?

forget the Alesis.
    the KRK is more worth it for that price range.

Sinamex carries both KRK & Alesis.

Quote Originally Posted by GmbH. View Post
    forget the Alesis.
    the KRK is more worth it for that price range.

Sinamex carries both KRK & Alesis.
    Thanks. I have been looking at the KRK RP6's. Will head down to Sinamex and take a listen when I can. Do they give dicsounts? How are their service? Never been there before

Thanks. I have been looking at the KRK RP6's. Will head down to Sinamex and take a listen when I can. Do they give dicsounts? How are their service? Never been there before
    Long time since i went there. Last i was there, they had the entire range of KRK on display and Alesis (some models only).

Best to check with them whether they have ready stocks.

My KRK ST6 came in only about 2-3 months later .. called them, went down all got the same reply (not here yet), wrote in to KRK side to complain and only then I got some feedback. But sinamex was nice enough to apologise and explain what was going on - the factory was totally concentrating on manufacturing the Rokit line and they had to stop production of the ST-6 for quite a while.

Have tried the RP6 or RP8 out my at friend's place, quite amazing. But do go down early as they close pretty early 6.30-7pm on weekdays.

Thanks again. Will head down this weekend maybe and audition the RP6s and the V6 II's and see how they are. Big difference in price though.. almost $1,000! Anyone know where to go that sells Wharferdale 8.2A's? Maybe compare against the KRK's and see how. Right now wrestling between getting active studio monitors and a mixer, vs. the power amp-mixer combo

no need to consider Warferdale.
    they certainly will not match up to the KRK.

How? Got ur stuff? Didnt update on this thread as much. LOL.

KRK is good but then I used it for just coming a year and the transformer die on me. Took 3mth to ship the bloody stuff.... From then... I sold my KRK and got TR Event XL for my music production. Lol

Mackie HR 624 (love)

Wharfedale ...

Auditioned the so called "diamond series" rated 5 stars yada yada yada .... to my dismay. It sounded muffled. Bass was poorly handled. No clarity. Too much mids. Muddy sounding. 5 stars? ... Either $$$ is given to either side for the review to make it look good.

KRK any day over the wharfedales.

Nope, have not gotten anything yet

Will try to find some time to audition the KRK's this weekend and see how good they are. Then decide from there. Just wondering, how reliable are active monitors? I mean in terms of having years and years of problem-free operation

Thanks. I will check out the Alesis monitors when I have the chance.

Over the weekend I dropped by Sim Lim and looked around for active subs. One of the more affordable ones was an NAD 800SW going for $399 (or was it $299). Can't seem to find any reviews on it though.. its an active sub. Actually active sub or not, I think the Europower amps only have output channels for a pair of speakers. How do I connect the sub (if I get one) to the source?
    If it's an active sub, you need to split the signal from the preamp/mixer to go to the power amp and the active sub.

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast