Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Audio enthusiasts: Your opinions?

Default Re: Audio enthusiasts: Your opinions?

Quote Originally Posted by Tetrode View Post
    My thoughts exactly. Why does he even need a mixer for that matter.
    Hi, I wanted a mixer for 2 reasons:

1. Thinking of plugging my guitar and doing some recording at some future point

2. Cheaper than getting a reasonable good pre-amp

3. Plus I want the option of having multiple input sources

The Alesis 8USB mixer looks good. Available from Sinamex? And roughly how much, does anyone know?

Quote Originally Posted by Gymrat76 View Post
    The Alesis 8USB mixer looks good. Available from Sinamex? And roughly how much, does anyone know?
    Never mind, just checked their site... S$295... any opinions on this mixer as compared to Behringer's 1202?

Never mind, just checked their site... S$295... any opinions on this mixer as compared to Behringer's 1202?
    cleaner circuitry

hmmm, if you are thinking to go into recording in future, why not consider buying a good sound card like the EMU 1820M and use it as a mixer. As it is a sound card, you can use your computer for hard disk recording. (Need at least 7200rpm for hard disk) You can alter the settings on the computer screen.

With this soundcard, you do not need a mixer. Your room will look more spacious and neat.

Ahh ... finally you mentioned 1. ... which warrants the need for a mixer....

Quote Originally Posted by Bernard Ong View Post
    hmmm, if you are thinking to go into recording in future, why not consider buying a good sound card like the EMU 1820M and use it as a mixer. As it is a sound card, you can use your computer for hard disk recording. (Need at least 7200rpm for hard disk) You can alter the settings on the computer screen.

With this soundcard, you do not need a mixer. Your room will look more spacious and neat.
    Good suggestion, but I also want to use it as a pre-amp for the Behringer power amp I'm thinking of getting for music listening. A mixer would be more versatile in that sense, don't you think?

Quote Originally Posted by dEthANGeL View Post
    Ahh ... finally you mentioned 1. ... which warrants the need for a mixer....
    Haha, sorry thought I mentioned earlier... getting old liao

Good suggestion, but I also want to use it as a pre-amp for the Behringer power amp I'm thinking of getting for music listening. A mixer would be more versatile in that sense, don't you think?
    A good soundcard can also become a mic pre-amp. (Phantom power some more) I recently connect a Nakamichi tape deck to my EMU1820M sound card and master the casette data into a CD. Computer nowadays can do wonders for recording.

However, i must agree that by using the Alesis 8USB, it is a much cheaper setup and more portable, if you intend to use it for live sound purpose in future. Other than that, thay are the same to me.

And 1 more thing, you dun need so powerful amp lah. I am currently using Samson Servo 550W power amp for my studio. Its already overkill liao. 100W+ per channel is enough for stereo monitor listening. I think the amp you are buying can drive line arrays at stadiums liao.
    Last edited by Bernard Ong; 2nd March 2007 at 02:25 PM.

I think the amp you are buying can drive line arrays at stadiums liao.
    definitely not.

i use a 1,700w into 8ohms Lab Gruppen C series amp to drive my array system.
    Last edited by GmbH.; 2nd March 2007 at 02:31 PM.

A good soundcard can also become a mic pre-amp. (Phantom power some more) I recently connect a Nakamichi tape deck to my EMU1820M sound card and master the casette data into a CD. Computer nowadays can do wonders for recording.

However, i must agree that by using the Alesis 8USB, it is a much cheaper setup and more portable, if you intend to use it for live sound purpose in future. Other than that, thay are the same to me.

And 1 more thing, you dun need so powerful amp lah. I am currently using Samson Servo 550W power amp for my studio. Its already overkill liao. 100W+ per channel is enough for stereo monitor listening. I think the amp you are buying can drive line arrays at stadiums liao.
    At this point, I think I'm more in favour of the Alesis 8USB mixer. More versatile and I don't have to turn the PC on everytime I wanna listen to a CD or something

Just curious, anyone know where I can buy a pair of Denon SCM51 speakers? They were designed my Mission for the (now discountinued) Denon DM-31 mini hi-fi system. Love them, I have the DM-51 but wouldn't mind having another pair of the speakers alone

At this point, I think I'm more in favour of the Alesis 8USB mixer. More versatile and I don't have to turn the PC on everytime I wanna listen to a CD or something
    hmmm, you are right. Turning the PC on everytime to listen to music is troublesome.

Why not just call them and ask? They are friendly people. And I don't expect the MultiMix8 USB2.0 to be too expensive from the looks of it.

SINAMEX ELECTRONICS PTE LTD.35 Selegie Road • B1-34 Parklane Shopping Mall • Singapore 188307
    Phone: +65 63388657 • Fax: +65 63367835
    http://www.sinamex.com
    Last edited by lsisaxon; 2nd March 2007 at 04:10 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by lsisaxon View Post
    Why not just call them and ask? They are friendly people. And I don't expect the MultiMix8 USB2.0 to be too expensive from the looks of it.

SINAMEX ELECTRONICS PTE LTD.35 Selegie Road • B1-34 Parklane Shopping Mall • Singapore 188307
    Phone: +65 63388657 • Fax: +65 63367835
    http://www.sinamex.com
    Thanks dude. They have a price list on their site. The USB8 is S$295 while the 2.0 is more than double...$695... way too much more to pay for USB2.0

Thanks dude. They have a price list on their site. The USB8 is S$295 while the 2.0 is more than double...$695... way too much more to pay for USB2.0
    Crate also has a set of powered speakers with a small mixer going for about $1300 which I saw selling at Music Plaza. You might be interested, doesn't sound too bad too if you intend to use it for performance etc.
    http://www.crateaudio.com/products/p...ems/TV100.html

If not, I would definitely stick with powered studio monitor speakers.
    Last edited by lsisaxon; 2nd March 2007 at 04:26 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by lsisaxon View Post
    Crate also has a set of powered speakers with a small mixer going for about $1300 which I saw selling at Music Plaza. You might be interested, doesn't sound too bad too if you intend to use it for performance etc.
    http://www.crateaudio.com/products/p...ems/TV100.html

If not, I would definitely stick with powered studio monitor speakers.
    Thanks.. but don't have that kind of setup i mind. All this will be purely for home use (99% of the time, at least)... music listening and some guitar recording.

Now my proposed setup will be:

1. Tannoy CPA5 studio monitors
    2. Behringer EP2500 (or 1500) power amp
    3. Alesis USB8 Mixer

Alesis makes power amps too fyi.

Thanks.. but don't have that kind of setup i mind. All this will be purely for home use (99% of the time, at least)... music listening and some guitar recording.

Now my proposed setup will be:

1. Tannoy CPA5 studio monitors
    2. Behringer EP2500 (or 1500) power amp
    3. Alesis USB8 Mixer
    I'd get Yamaha amps instead.

Having said that. I am not a fan of Pro audio equipment for home playback. i.e. enjoyment
    They have their place and that is in the Studio or as Sound Reinforcement - that is what they are made for.

A lot of the soundtracks out there are very badly mastered. So unless you are listening to only audiophile mastered or well mastered material, and everything in your reproduction chain is top notch, you may find that not everything you listen to will be enjoyable. Remember studio monitors are made to reveal the flaws of a recording (so that you can correct them).

My Krell setup is so revealing that it is like a surgeon's scalpel - it reveals all the flaws of the recordings and really restricts the material I listen to. Good recordings are heavenly but not everything I listen to is well recorded (some material just doesn't come well recorded). So I have other systems that are more forgiving of the material (yet not sacrificing all fidelity) that those recordings that are not sterling to begin with; are bearable and even enjoyable listening to.

Nothing is perfect in this world - esp in the music listening world, that you have to make sacrifices somewhere. Even if you paying $100K (some people spend even more) for your system, it will never be perfect. Some emphasise the midrange, some the treble area, some the bass. Sometimes, you don't want to hear everything esp when the recordings are bad.

What you listen to also determines the system you buy to. If one is a heavy metal head banger, then an audiophile system would be wasted on thee.
    Last edited by Tetrode; 2nd March 2007 at 05:24 PM.

Just curious, anyone know where I can buy a pair of Denon SCM51 speakers? They were designed my Mission for the (now discountinued) Denon DM-31 mini hi-fi system. Love them, I have the DM-51 but wouldn't mind having another pair of the speakers alone
    This one? http://www.avland.co.uk/denon/dm31/index.htm

You can look around Adelphi, I think one shop at the basement sells Denon midi systems, maybe they have the speakers there.

BTW which speakers you using now?

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast