Thread: Diffrence between sRGB and Adobe RGB?

Default Diffrence between sRGB and Adobe RGB?

Whats the difference between the two? I heard setting it to Adobe on the camera means richer colours? Can anyone enlighten me?

Thanks in advance!

Default Re: Diffrence between sRGB and Adobe RGB?

aRGB gives a wider gamut of colours than sRGB, do a search on the forum/Google, there are plently of articles documenting this.

And if you're shooting RAW, this doesn't apply.

http://www.cambridgeincolour.com/tut...obeRGB1998.htm

they are just colour spaces that define the gaumt of colours they contain

Quote Originally Posted by zhangyb View Post
    they are just colour spaces that define the gaumt of colours they contain
    And what does that means?

Quote Originally Posted by swhyge View Post
    And what does that means?
    Start your quest with: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gamut.

Quote Originally Posted by ah.zeep View Post
    Start your quest with: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gamut.
    nailed it!
    You replied before me! I would have replied with the same answer!

Quote Originally Posted by ipin View Post
    nailed it!
    You replied before me! I would have replied with the same answer!
    Then, if I may ask: What's the use of giving an answer whereby ones have to check another place to understand the answer!

Let me give an anecdote from my ex-NUS lecturer (supposed to be true)

"An university Engineering Prof was visiting his friend's new house. His friend complained that his house air-con unit is not 'cold' and asked the Prof. "how come". The Prof. straight away took a piece of paper and drew the P-H diagram to explain the problem.

The Prof. was 100% correct, but his friend was not wiser."

The thread starter obviously dun understand those jargons, or he would not had asked the qn. in the first place. Of course, I know what is color space, etc..(or should I say: I think I know").

I was asking in case the thread starter was just as innocent as the Prof's friend!

Hi,

Then, if I may ask: What's the use of giving an answer whereby ones have to check another place to understand the answer!

The thread starter obviously dun understand those jargons, or he would not had asked the qn. in the first place. Of course, I know what is color space, etc..(or should I say: I think I know").

I was asking in case the thread starter was just as innocent as the Prof's friend!
    Well, the answer to TS's question is "color space and gamut", which is well explained in that Wiki link which has links to other places with even more illustrative answers, so it is perhaps better that these other places be checked out first. Hence my (and ipin's intention of) posting a link. Now, if after reading all that stuff there is still additional enlightenment needed, more directed questions could be asked and posted here and then we can all then chip in and understand better.

"An university Engineering Prof was visiting his friend's new house. His friend complained that his house air-con unit is not 'cold' and asked the Prof. "how come". The Prof. straight away took a piece of paper and drew the P-H diagram to explain the problem.

The Prof. was 100% correct, but his friend was not wiser."

Maybe the TS doesn't know where to look for his answers from the internet and this being the newbies sub-forum, ah.zeep and myself just pointed out where to start looking for the answer. At least we're the prof. trying to explain, and if the TS needs further explainations, he/she is free to ask (This again, being the newbies' corner).

Quote Originally Posted by Dancelar View Post
    Whats the difference between the two? I heard setting it to Adobe on the camera means richer colours?
    Those who experimented found that photographs taken with Adobe RGB (or aRGB) colour space will result in better contrast after picture is transposed to sRGB colour space. Refer to this discussion below even though the pictures may not be viewable.

http://forum.clubsnap.com/showthread.php?t=92804

Sorry, had not been following the thread. To answer your queries, look at the diagram below:

You will see the area bounded by A is the largest, which means it can contain a larger range of colours. The bounded area decreases for RGB and CMYK.

So sRGB/Adobe RGB both have there own bounded areas, which define the colours they can contain.

Hence you should be able to understand the following diagram which answers your question hopefully:

Last edited by zhangyb; 3rd March 2007 at 03:28 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Squid View Post
    Those who experimented found that photographs taken with Adobe RGB (or aRGB) colour space will result in better contrast after picture is transposed to sRGB colour space. Refer to this discussion below even though the pictures may not be viewable.

http://forum.clubsnap.com/showthread.php?t=92804
    With respect to Adobe Photoshop, the rationale for having a greater contrast in sRGB after being converted from aRGB is due to the fact that Adobe Photoshop employs a technique called Relative Colormetric by default. This will attempt to map colours outside the sRGB range into the sRGB gamut. Hence the image appears to appear more contrasty simply because colours which cannot be represented are converted to their nearest/relative colour.

Other options available in photoshop colour conversion are Absolute Colormetric/Perceptual and Saturation which are not the default.

if in doubt, just use sRGB...this will minimise chance of problems...

Quote Originally Posted by theRBK View Post
    if in doubt, just use sRGB...this will minimise chance of problems...
    No offense but I think the advice could be ambiguous...

When possible, the source should always have a colour space that can contain the greatest gamut of colours or at a colour space that can match or come close to the output device (be it print or digital)
    Last edited by zhangyb; 4th March 2007 at 01:59 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by zhangyb View Post
    No offense but I think the advice could be ambiguous...

When possible, the source should always have a colour space that can contain the greatest gamut of colours or at a colour space that can match or come close to the output device (be it print or digital)
    actually, current computer monitors (except the really high end ones) and printers can only produce sRGB colour so for the common usage, why go for a colour space that cannot be reproduced?...it will only create more workflow problems later on if the operator doesn't keep the colourspace in mind...

Does that mean that if i shoot and PP in sRGB, and my printing is done in aRGB, all my colours would be accurately represented since all sRGB colours lie within the aRGB spectrum? Conversely if i shoot n PP in aRGB, i may lose some colours if i print/view sRGB?

Quote Originally Posted by jkaiser View Post
    Does that mean that if i shoot and PP in sRGB, and my printing is done in aRGB, all my colours would be accurately represented since all sRGB colours lie within the aRGB spectrum? Conversely if i shoot n PP in aRGB, i may lose some colours if i print/view sRGB?
    both ways it's the same. if u shoot in sRGB, you are losing some colours at the point of shooting.. if u convert after pp in aRGB you will still lose those colours...

anyway most monitors can onl support sRGB, which is why some programs who do not convert the colour spaces will show ur photo to have wierd colours...

and if u're really particular, shoot in raw, convert to prophotoRGB at 16bit, and save in tiff for printing... but u have to make sure the printer supports that colour space... but really adobe rgb (8/16 bit) is good enough...
    Canon EOS 30D w/ grip 580EX, Tamron 28-75mm f/2.8, EF-S 10-22mm
    :bsmilie: