Results 1 to 8 of 8

Thread: SanDisk Flashdrive Problem

  1. #1
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Clementi, Singapore
    Posts
    2,836

    Default SanDisk Flashdrive Problem

    Hey Guys

    I'm having a problem with my SanDisk flash drive, its the 1GB version.

    When I plug it in it isn't recognized and it locks my computer until I remove it. There is a ton of valuable work on there which I really need to get back.

    Has anyone experienced this problem?

    Any help would be greatly received.

    Thanks

    Elliot

  2. #2

    Default Re: SanDisk Flashdrive Problem

    HAve you tired it on another computer? Locking up your computer sounds like it might have a virus? Try pluging it in to a computer running a different OS..
    Furry Photos - Photography for the Modern Pet

  3. #3

    Default Re: SanDisk Flashdrive Problem

    Quote Originally Posted by raptor84 View Post
    HAve you tired it on another computer? Locking up your computer sounds like it might have a virus? Try pluging it in to a computer running a different OS..
    This is a pretty common problem caused by a failing component in the flash drive and has nothing to do with viruses.


    Quote Originally Posted by wildstallion View Post
    Hey Guys

    I'm having a problem with my SanDisk flash drive, its the 1GB version.

    When I plug it in it isn't recognized and it locks my computer until I remove it. There is a ton of valuable work on there which I really need to get back.

    Has anyone experienced this problem?

    Any help would be greatly received.

    Thanks

    Elliot
    As I said, this is a pretty common issue, but there isn't any easy solution to it. If you cannot get it to be recognised by a computer (since it causes them to lock up) then you won't be able to use any recovery software on it. What we do, in our company, when this happens is to estimate the value of the data on the drive. If it is valuable, then we would send it in to a data recovery specialist. It it's something we can carry-on without, then we just experiment with it for a while before breaking it apart and dumping it.

  4. #4
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Clementi, Singapore
    Posts
    2,836

    Default Re: SanDisk Flashdrive Problem

    Quote Originally Posted by raptor84 View Post
    HAve you tired it on another computer? Locking up your computer sounds like it might have a virus? Try pluging it in to a computer running a different OS..
    Its not a virus. deadpixel is right i think

    Thanks though.

  5. #5
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Clementi, Singapore
    Posts
    2,836

    Default Re: SanDisk Flashdrive Problem

    Quote Originally Posted by deadpixel View Post
    This is a pretty common problem caused by a failing component in the flash drive and has nothing to do with viruses.




    As I said, this is a pretty common issue, but there isn't any easy solution to it. If you cannot get it to be recognised by a computer (since it causes them to lock up) then you won't be able to use any recovery software on it. What we do, in our company, when this happens is to estimate the value of the data on the drive. If it is valuable, then we would send it in to a data recovery specialist. It it's something we can carry-on without, then we just experiment with it for a while before breaking it apart and dumping it.

    Bugger, well, its not critically important, it wouldn't warrant too much money to be spent getting it fixed and recovered safely, but its just a pain in the ass re-doing it all again, or finding other copies of some of the work.

    Ive emailed SanDisks tech team to see what they can do.

    Any suggestion on what to experiment with?



    Thanks guys

  6. #6
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Clementi, Singapore
    Posts
    2,836

    Default Re: SanDisk Flashdrive Problem

    Ok, its making the beep beep recognizing noise now, but it just doesn't appear still. Any hope!

  7. #7

    Default Re: SanDisk Flashdrive Problem

    i re-partitioned my drive a couple of weeks ago. only way to save it. mine is imation maybe yours don't have the function.

  8. #8
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Clementi, Singapore
    Posts
    2,836

    Default Re: SanDisk Flashdrive Problem

    Quote Originally Posted by deckard View Post
    i re-partitioned my drive a couple of weeks ago. only way to save it. mine is imation maybe yours don't have the function.
    I dont think it does, anyway, no way to partition it if you cant see it right?

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •