Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Frequent Disconnection / MSN

Default Re: Frequent Disconnection / MSN

Just wondering... If i want tp upgrade my firm ware for this particular linksys router, is there one thta i should go for?

Would appreciate anyone who has done this before giving their 2 cents...

i am using the same router also. but i do not have any dcing problems.

but the problem is that after 3-4days, i will lose connection and i will need to restart my router again.

sigh. so update the firmware or use the 3rd party ones ?

Im using a WCG2000 router connected with a CatE(or is it 5) lan cable I think, from time to time, whenever I runs my MSN, it shuts down my routerr and I need to reset it, thereafter, it becomes alright. It's a once a night event.

It becomes a twice a night affair if my mum connects to the router using wireless. Then need to reset again. It's not that troublesome, just a bit irritating, haha.

It hasnt happened when I'm dota-ing so far, luckily

i am not sure what does the V7 has to offer but my WRT54G comes with V4 firmware.

i had flashed my router with a 3rd party firmware, DD-WRT, for the last 1+years without much an issue..

essentially, i had followed some of the instructions in this page
    http://forums.hardwarezone.com/showthread.php?t=1322409

as well as applying some of the networking knowledge i know of + reading the all so important.. HELP file..

stability wise, its excellent, i have 2 desktops, 2 notebooks at home connected to the router, wirelessly and thru the RJ45 cable.. without having any issues of disconnections in the past 1+yr (other than the taiwan earthquake that resulted in the undersea cable being cut)

functionality wise, its great if you like to configure all sorts of settings on your router.. there are quite alot of things that you can customise on your router settings

about the need to restart the router every few days.. from what i know, the default firmware for Linksys will track old connections for FIVE days before starting to clear dead connection, which will in turn cause the router to hang when using P2P apps eg. bittorrent. or any software that generates so much connections that the router wont be able to handle.

just go down to the hwz thread to read about it

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12