Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 21 to 29 of 29

Thread: As new as a newborn

  1. #21
    Senior Member xunjas's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Singapura
    Posts
    6,490

    Default Re: As new as a newborn

    Have lotsa fun shooting photos.. hehe..

  2. #22
    Senior Member zac08's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    East
    Posts
    11,755

    Default Re: As new as a newborn

    Quote Originally Posted by PicteePrincess View Post
    Wow. Everyone is so super friendly.

    Why hello everyone. Thanks for the suggestions, helps a lot! =)

    I shall have to do a lot of reading, (and saving up!) and make full use of my present digital camera, before i get a DSLR, I guess. Cos Mum's against my new interest. jeez.
    She probably scared you have 3 min interest in it ONLY....

  3. #23
    Senior Member zoossh's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    8,725

    Default Re: As new as a newborn

    Quote Originally Posted by PicteePrincess View Post
    Wow. Everyone is so super friendly.

    Why hello everyone. Thanks for the suggestions, helps a lot! =)

    I shall have to do a lot of reading, (and saving up!) and make full use of my present digital camera, before i get a DSLR, I guess. Cos Mum's against my new interest. jeez.
    the likelihood of having such good response may be from your female-like name whether or true it is essentially true...

    but i guess you can get HWM megaguide as a starting text, available in kino and maybe other bookshops. colorful book is always more enticing. also get understanding exposure by bryan peterson, from riceball bookshop, basement level 1, adelphi, opposite funan. they are for fundamental understanding.

    of cos make full use of your current camera to learn composition. i used to get frustrated of my 3.2MP compact becos of the shutter lag, poor battery life, high noise level etc. and hence step over to DSLR. however, nowadays compacts are getting better and may satisfy your needs.

    start off with a smaller DSLR that is less conspicuous, and dun appear to be too excited with it in front of your mum, and dun let her know how much you spend. if you got a nikon, get the cheap $150 50mm f/1.8 AF D lens and take a photograph of your mum in good lighting. she may change her opinion of your hobby.

    that's all i have to say....

  4. #24
    Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Singapore. (?)
    Posts
    6

    Default Re: As new as a newborn

    Quote Originally Posted by zoossh View Post
    the likelihood of having such good response may be from your female-like name whether or true it is essentially true...

    but i guess you can get HWM megaguide as a starting text, available in kino and maybe other bookshops. colorful book is always more enticing. also get understanding exposure by bryan peterson, from riceball bookshop, basement level 1, adelphi, opposite funan. they are for fundamental understanding.

    of cos make full use of your current camera to learn composition. i used to get frustrated of my 3.2MP compact becos of the shutter lag, poor battery life, high noise level etc. and hence step over to DSLR. however, nowadays compacts are getting better and may satisfy your needs.

    start off with a smaller DSLR that is less conspicuous, and dun appear to be too excited with it in front of your mum, and dun let her know how much you spend. if you got a nikon, get the cheap $150 50mm f/1.8 AF D lens and take a photograph of your mum in good lighting. she may change her opinion of your hobby.

    that's all i have to say....
    Mum's ALWAYS the wet blanket. I am considering getting a new compact tho, cos the current is only 3.2. I prolly wanna get something new and better. Will hit the shops tmr i guess, cos the ka-ching's in today. heh. =)

    anyway, a fren said, with a digicam and help from photoshop, u can actually get quality pictures, somewhat similar to a DSLR. isszat true? Hmm.

  5. #25
    Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Singapore. (?)
    Posts
    6

    Default Re: As new as a newborn

    Quote Originally Posted by zac08 View Post
    She probably scared you have 3 min interest in it ONLY....
    Oh man. Not me. Never been 3 minutes with my interests before.

    10 minutes. can.?

    *giggles*

  6. #26
    Senior Member xunjas's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Singapura
    Posts
    6,490

    Default Re: As new as a newborn

    Quote Originally Posted by PicteePrincess View Post
    Mum's ALWAYS the wet blanket. I am considering getting a new compact tho, cos the current is only 3.2. I prolly wanna get something new and better. Will hit the shops tmr i guess, cos the ka-ching's in today. heh. =)

    anyway, a fren said, with a digicam and help from photoshop, u can actually get quality pictures, somewhat similar to a DSLR. isszat true? Hmm.
    some ppl are gd @ PS while some ppl are gd with DSLR.. so which ppl who would like to be?? hehe.. some effects can be found in PS not in DSLR n vice versa.. hehe..

  7. #27
    Senior Member zac08's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    East
    Posts
    11,755

    Default Re: As new as a newborn

    Quote Originally Posted by PicteePrincess View Post
    Mum's ALWAYS the wet blanket. I am considering getting a new compact tho, cos the current is only 3.2. I prolly wanna get something new and better. Will hit the shops tmr i guess, cos the ka-ching's in today. heh. =)

    anyway, a fren said, with a digicam and help from photoshop, u can actually get quality pictures, somewhat similar to a DSLR. isszat true? Hmm.
    Well, you may try to duplicate a good picture with a PnS, but it's gonna take you some time on the PC to PS the effects that you want. With a decent SLR, all you need to do is to compose and shoot the way you want it to be.

    Quote Originally Posted by PicteePrincess View Post
    Oh man. Not me. Never been 3 minutes with my interests before.

    10 minutes. can.?

    *giggles*
    See.... you answered yourself...

  8. #28
    Senior Member zoossh's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    8,725

    Default Re: As new as a newborn

    Quote Originally Posted by PicteePrincess View Post
    Mum's ALWAYS the wet blanket.
    for most of us, that is not our parents, but wifes & girlfriends. few have supportive partners though, like that of tomshen and wind30....

    Quote Originally Posted by PicteePrincess View Post
    anyway, a fren said, with a digicam and help from photoshop, u can actually get quality pictures, somewhat similar to a DSLR. isszat true? Hmm.
    untrue.

    first of all, quality in terms of aesthetic quality comes from proper use of perspective/composition to capture tones, colors and details of an interesting subject. and in terms of optic and output quality depends on the glass, sensor and data integrity.

    hence, if you are a good photographer with a good composition of a good subject under good lighting, and provided the demanded composition is within the limits of the ability of your compact lens, yes you can capture a few good shots. but with the limitations of equipments, you cannot have the versatility of the DSLR. and relying on the equipment, you cannot have the consistency of a professional or expert amateur.

    and what a compact cannot possibly have is to have a large sensor size, large glass, options of changing different glass, having a bigger surface area to have comfortable grip and button layer, but yet have a compact size. whatever a compact can do, a DSLR can potentially do it better except for size, weight and longer focal length. but commerically, compacts are given some extra functions that can be but not incorporated into DSLRs, such as video mode and live preview (except olympus E series)

    "photoshop" helps to enhance a good photo and help in reducing certain defects, but it probably takes as much skills as photography. moreover, you cannot photoshop a blurred image into a sharp picture achieved by using the sharpest lens, lowest ISO and most stable tripod.

  9. #29
    Senior Member zoossh's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    8,725

    Default Re: As new as a newborn

    i posted some examples in this post with regards to what a 3.2MP can do provided the shooting circumstances are very favourable and easy.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •