View Poll Results: Do u clear ur own tray?

Voters
79. You may not vote on this poll
  • Naturally bring the tray to the cleaner. PLUS a thank you to the cleaner ah pek/ah mm

40 50.63%
  • Leave it on the table. I'm not paying $3 for my wantan mee for self-service

7 8.86%
  • Eat as messy as possible. Customer is king and its the duty of the cleaner to clean

1 1.27%
  • Only pass it to the cleaner if he happens to go by. If not, heck care.

31 39.24%
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Clearing trays & saying thank you

Default Re: Clearing trays & saying thank you

Quote Originally Posted by eikin View Post
    always clear, but don't know why very often attract wierd looks like i'm some alien like that ... so paiseh one
    Dats when u're still in Singapore I suppose and not in Tokyo?

The reverse happens. I get stared down for not clearing my table and its utterly embarassing when I went with a friend that was his first trip to Japan. He din want to clear stating the twisted logic of "They shld be appreciative that I gave them a job".

In the end I have to clear for him to save BOTH OF US from embarassment.

Quote Originally Posted by jsbn View Post
    Dats when u're still in Singapore I suppose and not in Tokyo?

The reverse happens. I get stared down for not clearing my table and its utterly embarassing when I went with a friend that was his first trip to Japan. He din want to clear stating the twisted logic of "They shld be appreciative that I gave them a job".

In the end I have to clear for him to save BOTH OF US from embarassment.
    yup, that's in singapore.

in japan everything automatic but i think my luck not bad in japan, very often when i clear my tray i get intercepted by the service personnel

For the fastfood rests if there are cleaners around, then I won't bother; otherwise I'd just take my tray to the bins cabinets.
    I won't bother in foodcourts - I never know where they put those used trays.

Quote Originally Posted by nikonrus View Post
    For the fastfood rests if there are cleaners around, then I won't bother; otherwise I'd just take my tray to the bins cabinets.
    foodcourt service points are not difficult to locate, they are usually at the corners not too far away

Quote Originally Posted by nikonrus View Post
    Erm.... its pretty obvious especially in food courts, they've got signs. Unless u're not looking....

Actually I realized its quite true when someone mentioned that if everyone will to clear they own plates themselves, wouldnt those old folks be out of jobs then?

I think we should create more jobs for the elderly people in Singapore. Many old folks in singapore are not highly educated and requires jobs like this to survive. Think about how bad it would be when you are old and jobless but still requires some income.

Quote Originally Posted by ianpaice View Post
    Actually I realized its quite true when someone mentioned that if everyone will to clear they own plates themselves, wouldnt those old folks be out of jobs then?

I think we should create more jobs for the elderly people in Singapore. Many old folks in singapore are not highly educated and requires jobs like this to survive. Think about how bad it would be when you are old and jobless but still requires some income.
    this is just a excuse for being laziness, it won't be everyone able to clear their own trays, the table need to be clear and wipe by the cleaners too.

beside, have you visit food courts or hawker centers during peak hours? so many plates on the tables to be clean, sometime the plates are pile up on the floor by some customers, so to make way to use the tables for dinning, if most people willing to clean their own mess, it will bring more customer to the food courts, the cleaners won't be out of jobs, but need to wash even more plates.
    Shoot to Live, Live to Shoot
    www.benjaminloo.com | iStock portfolio

Quote Originally Posted by Paul_Yeo View Post
    yes. contrary to this poll result....think most photogs clear their own trays

i find it very incredible as well! kudos to those photogs. they must be a rarity!

The pile-up will bring on more jobs!

I think thats the reason why we pay a little higher in food courts becos the management charges the stalls extra in rent for cleaning services, and thus the higher food price.

Quote Originally Posted by catchlights View Post
    this is just a excuse for being laziness, it won't be everyone able to clear their own trays, the table need to be clear and wipe by the cleaners too.

beside, have you visit food courts or hawker centers during peak hours? so many plates on the tables to be clean, sometime the plates are pile up on the floor by some customers, so to make way to use the tables for dinning, if most people willing to clean their own mess, it will bring more customer to the food courts, the cleaners won't be out of jobs, but need to wash even more plates.

I once awhile will clear the tray but thank you depends.

One thing for sure.
    SINGAPOREAN like to SAY SORRY!
    Where ever I go I hear people saying sorry....sorry...sorry and just sorry for anything. Believe me?

Erm... well, in addition to 'PLEASE', 'SORRY' makes it even more polite.

But why saying 'thank you' is a dependent situation? U're thanking the cleaner for his effort in cleaning the plates and bowls so that the next time u go, u'd have clean plates. Isn't that something to be thanked for?

why not? They are just being polite.

Quote Originally Posted by dominator View Post
    I once awhile will clear the tray but thank you depends.

One thing for sure.
    SINGAPOREAN like to SAY SORRY!
    Where ever I go I hear people saying sorry....sorry...sorry and just sorry for anything. Believe me?

Quote Originally Posted by deckard View Post
    if you clear your own tray all the time, there will be no use for the cleaner. he/she may lose his/her job.

then what will they work as?
    Than they will become an excuse for the GOV to squeeze more milk money from you.. Does 20% GST ring a bell..

Quote Originally Posted by soma View Post
    Than they will become an excuse for the GOV to squeeze more milk money from you.. Does 20% GST ring a bell..
    Yet another..... Somehow every damn thing, a few ppl can simply find some random & remote links right back to the govt & policies huh?

I thought I'm cynic enuff. There's a bigger world out there full of cynics.
    Last edited by jsbn; 27th February 2007 at 08:52 PM.

Yet another..... Somehow every damn thing, a few ppl can simply find some random & remote links right back to the govt & policies huh?

hahahahaha...... well said.. ya i use to link it right back. But well, that's my own POV. Just simply sick of their 'sicko' excuses to milk more $ from us.

sometimes i feel like i am in the sammyboy forum!!

Sure can one. Don't believe I go start a thread about little girls eating lollipops sure SOONER OR LATER got one guy come in and say the lollipop she eating more expensive because of GST.

Quote Originally Posted by night86mare View Post
    Sure can one. Don't believe I go start a thread about little girls eating lollipops sure SOONER OR LATER got one guy come in and say the lollipop she eating more expensive because of GST.
    Oh well, the weird things that go around in forums these days.

Anyway, back to topic.

I'm wondering about the word 'Thank you'. How many of u say it constantly? Not only to ur loved ones, but also to complete strangers outside. Like for example in hawker centers where the person brings ur food to u, the cleaner that clears up ur table, etc.

Oh well, the weird things that go around in forums these days.

Anyway, back to topic.

I'm wondering about the word 'Thank you'. How many of u say it constantly? Not only to ur loved ones, but also to complete strangers outside. Like for example in hawker centers where the person brings ur food to u, the cleaner that clears up ur table, etc.
    say "thank you" but dun mean it in my heart counted?

bcos i said "thank you" very often but mechanically and insincerely, from the mouth only, not the heart

Erm... well, in addition to 'PLEASE', 'SORRY' makes it even more polite.

But why saying 'thank you' is a dependent situation? U're thanking the cleaner for his effort in cleaning the plates and bowls so that the next time u go, u'd have clean plates. Isn't that something to be thanked for?
    Quote Originally Posted by deckard View Post

sometimes i feel like i am in the sammyboy forum!!
    What's in sammyboy forum? What is the feeling like?

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast