• I don't support animal torture

14 14.43%
  • Others (care to share)

7 7.22%
  • NO, I am a meat-eater cos I love the taste of meat too much to give up

70 72.16%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 4 of 12 FirstFirst ... 234569 ... LastLast

Thread: POLL: How many of you are vegetarians and why?

Default Re: POLL: How many of you are vegetarians and why?

Quote Originally Posted by melvin View Post
    There is another one with buffet and steamboat which i went and quite nice is at: Quality Hotel at 201 Balestier Road. Lotus Restraunt at the 2nd floor.
    Dun expect the price to be like the geylang one i mention in the previous post!
    The food at Lotus is nice, especially the soup.

Quote Originally Posted by Crabbiex View Post
    The food at Lotus is nice, especially the soup.
    The soup u mention is it the one with puff? I have yet to try the soup with puff! Most of the time when i am there they dun sell others only buffet steamboat! My colleauge n i went there for our new year reunion etc.... we only go on ocassion! So no chance to try other specialties

The soup u mention is it the one with puff? I have yet to try the soup with puff! Most of the time when i am there they dun sell others only buffet steamboat! My colleauge n i went there for our new year reunion etc.... we only go on ocassion! So no chance to try other specialties
    The soup I am mentioning is the one for the steamboat. Is there one with puff? I must try it one day. We also try to go on occasions only cos it's quite pricey. Cannot afford to go every now and then.

Many thanks to the vegetarians here who have posted very constructive comments. I will go read them up and check out the stalls recommended soon.

In the meantime, I hope more vegetarians or people interested in a veg diet/lifestyle will share their experiences so that more could benefit from the knowledge. I appreciate all your sharing.

The soup I am mentioning is the one for the steamboat. Is there one with puff? I must try it one day. We also try to go on occasions only cos it's quite pricey. Cannot afford to go every now and then.
    Arhh... the stemboat soup yes dats nice normal, chinese herbs n spicy all r nice!!!
    There got one wif puff saw a coustumer having the last time i went there!

Ya...agreed wif u its a bit pricey dats why we go only on ocassion... or Maybe we can organise one for CSer interested den can all go together(if there is anyone interested) !

There is another one which is not so pricey its at Tai Keng rd i think... its call Natural Vegetarin... located opp Upper Serangoon Shopping Center...... this one was also introduce by one of the mediacorp artist Feilicia Chin in one of the program in Channel U.

Went there food nice pricewise economic

I recommend Sky Garden at Suntec city..there is a vege stall at 3rd storey...

Quote Originally Posted by Minlon View Post
    the more westernized stall beside Kingdom Vegetarian serves pretty good stuff actually =)

anyway, i'm a vegetarian since birth, had never ate meat before. perhaps it's due to my upbringing, perhaps it's due to religion as well... =)

Quote Originally Posted by Stratix View Post
    the more westernized stall beside Kingdom Vegetarian serves pretty good stuff actually =)

anyway, i'm a vegetarian since birth, had never ate meat before. perhaps it's due to my upbringing, perhaps it's due to religion as well... =)
    dats good How i wish i am one snice birth!!!

The one next din know the one next door is a vegetarian or is it?

Quote Originally Posted by Minlon View Post
    Ya... this one also not bad!

hardly find any vegetarian photographer here!

dats good How i wish i am one snice birth!!!

The one next din know the one next door is a vegetarian or is it?

I also wish I am a vegetarian since birth.

The aunty at the vegetarian store is a super nice lady. I support her business by eating her food almost everyday. Other than that, I try to eat more white meat while at home and elsewhere.
    Last edited by photobum; 1st March 2007 at 11:09 PM.

Its always never too late! Better late then never!
    Last edited by melvin; 2nd March 2007 at 08:56 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by photobum View Post
    The aunty at the vegetarian store is a super nice lady. I support her business by eating her food almost everyday. Other than that, I try to eat more white meat while at home and elsewhere.
    Where is the stall located?

Quote Originally Posted by Stratix View Post

The stall in foodcourt at basement of suntec is also not bad!

But i still prefer the one at Marina Square food court price is cheaper then nicer more variety always eat there when in that area!

Can feed baby vegetable juice to train baby up to be a vegetarian.

I think vegetarians eat veg so as not to feel guilty and not hurt themselves with possible retribution, far more than to save or not to hurt animals. Or put another way animals may still die - naturally or not - but as long as I am not culpable its ok for me. Also some are vegetarians for its possible health effects, ie again for one's own benefit; but heck we all die, eventually, sooner or later, ready or not, naturally or not.

A recent Time magazine article reports that bison numbers in N America are increasing precisely because people eat them. And we don't eat pandas but yet they are close to extinction. Only their cuteness save them. On the other hand how many cows are saved from slaughter from all the vegetarians in the world? 1%? 0.01%? So I think if you really really want to save animals and not hurt them, being a veg is evidently not the most effective.

So we need to separate the question more precisely, ie you are veg because:

1. to avoid the "sin" of killing animals, ie beliefs, religious or otherwise, concerning the killing and "hurting" of animals. But this is not so straightforward, for are there no circumstances at all when such killing is warranted, eg a tiger charging at you? But what is clear here is that the preservation of animals is a different matter altogether. Here it concerns solely one's own psychological well being, such as absence of guilt, etc. And also I need not be a vegetarian to show genuine and real care for my cats and cockroaches. Is that "good" enough?

2. the health benefits of a veg diet. Anyone can partake of these regardless of religious beliefs.

3. to preserve animal species in the larger eco system. Here the focus is one the animals themselves, more particularly as a species and not as an individual. But there are limits to what humankind can do here. We cannot, for example stop a virus - is a virus or bacteria a living thing? - from wiping away an entire species, say the panda, or stop less funds being available for less cute bugs and insects.
    All these are separate and independent issues, ie I can start a campaign to save the bacteria but still enjoy my steak without contradiction.
    Last edited by espion; 20th March 2007 at 02:06 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by espion View Post
    I think vegetarians eat veg so as not to feel guilty and not hurt themselves with possible retribution, far more than to save or not to hurt animals. Or put another way animals may still die - naturally or not - but as long as I am not culpable its ok for me. Also some are vegetarians for its possible health effects, ie again for one's own benefit; but heck we all die, eventually, sooner or later, ready or not, naturally or not.

A recent Time magazine article reports that bison numbers in N America are increasing precisely because people eat them. And we don't eat pandas but yet they are close to extinction. Only their cuteness save them. On the other hand how many cows are saved from slaughter from all the vegetarians in the world? 1%? 0.01%? So I think if you really really want to save animals and not hurt them, being a veg is evidently not the most effective.

So we need to separate the question more precisely, ie you are veg because:

1. to avoid the "sin" of killing animals, ie beliefs, religious or otherwise, concerning the killing and "hurting" of animals. But this is not so straightforward, for are there no circumstances at all when such killing is warranted, eg a tiger charging at you? But what is clear here is that the preservation of animals is a different matter altogether. Here it concerns solely one's own psychological well being, such as absence of guilt, etc. And also I need not be a vegetarian to show genuine and real care for my cats and cockroaches. Is that "good" enough?

2. the health benefits of a veg diet. Anyone can partake of these regardless of religious beliefs.

3. to preserve animal species in the larger eco system. Here the focus is one the animals themselves, more particularly as a species and not as an individual. But there are limits to what humankind can do here. We cannot, for example stop a virus - is a virus or bacteria a living thing? - from wiping away an entire species, say the panda, or stop less funds being available for less cute bugs and insects.
    All these are separate and independent issues, ie I can start a campaign to save the bacteria but still enjoy my steak without contradiction.

just one question that I always wanted to ask but dont know who to ask. Those indian vegetarian places in Serangoon. Not restaurants, those fast food type. Why is it that we are paying cut throat prices for vegetables that are dirt cheap compared to meat in the markets?? A piece of roti which is flour and water cost 2 bucks.... anyone?

I myself is getting sick of all the meat that I am eating and am intending to try vegetarian for a while to see what it can do for me... too much rich foods here in Singapore... LOL.

Page 4 of 12 FirstFirst ... 234569 ... LastLast