• I don't support animal torture

14 14.43%
  • Others (care to share)

7 7.22%
  • NO, I am a meat-eater cos I love the taste of meat too much to give up

70 72.16%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 3 of 12 FirstFirst 123458 ... LastLast

Thread: POLL: How many of you are vegetarians and why?

Default Re: POLL: How many of you are vegetarians and why?

Most of us are brought up eating meat.

I blamed myself for not being strong for not being vegetarian. The fact is that if we are to eat meat alone without the seasonings( FYI..seasonings are mainly contain salt/soya/chilli./pepper./sugar..etc ) we will think meat is horrible. Example..if we eat raw fish..we need soya sauce and washbi to cover the fishy smell..

Therefore I believe human are born to love vege. We are attracted by the sweet smell of fruits but not the foul blood of animals. Unlike lions etc..they are really made to be meat eater.
    Last edited by JW73; 27th February 2007 at 04:14 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by leumas01 View Post
    Haha, ops then this VCD will prove you wrong. Do you know that there is a prediction of shortage of animals in the years to come? In order to get 1 KG of meat which is so lacking in the nutrient that we need, you need a few hectas of land for the animal to graze just to get 1kg of meat. Think abt it if we are the ones using the land to feed for the veg, why waste it on the cow which return you with so little meat for that piece of land?
    Some statistics to support your claim:

- Number of acres of U.S. forest which have been cleared to create cropland to produce a meat-centered diet: 260 million

- How often an acre of U.S. trees disappears: Every 5 seconds

- At present rate of deforestation, number of years before not a single tree will remain standing in the United States: 50

- Amount of trees spared per year by each individual who switches to a pure vegetarian diet: 1 acre

- Driving force behind the destruction of the tropical rainforests: American meat habit

- Amount of meat imported annually by U.S. from Costa Rica, El Salvador, Guatemala, Nicaragua, Honduras and Panama: 200 million pounds

- Amount of meat eaten by average person in Costa Rica, El Salvador, Guatemala, Nicaragua, Honduras and Panama: Less than the average American housecat consumes

- Current rate of species extinction due to destruction of tropical rainforests and related habitats: 1,000 species a year

For those who never tried or want to try out Vege Buffet can try this:

Taiwan vegetarian buffet at S$4.90 (20+ dishes)! Located at 511 Geylang Rd Lorong 27A (facing the main road). Tel no: 6848 4204. Opens from 11 am till 2.30 pm & 4.30 pm till 8.30 pm. Closed on chinese lunar calendar 2nd and 16th.

I have not been there yet but i see that the price is really good so thought of posting it to share with you guys!

Quote Originally Posted by David View Post
    This post is motivated by the following discussion from InitialE24:

http://forums.clubsnap.org/showthread.php?t=261515

It shows a video of how cruelly animals are treated for their meat. It's not just the terrible torture that they go thru....(it's really disgusting how the poor animals are being treated!) it's the bad stuffs we are taking in too!

For those who are vegetarians, do you have problems when it comes to eating out? I always use this as an excuse for not becoming one.

Where do you normally eat and how do you ensure you get your daily nutritional needs especially if you are active in sports?

Ok ,

I was a vegetarian (strictly no egg/milk incl) for 1 yr and subsequently fruitarian for 6 months... it is due to some health reason (allergic to several kinds of meat) and partially got turn off after watching some programs and animal farms.

Yes, vegetarians still can be active in sports. During my vege days, i do run 10km daily, and participate in marathon . It is not true that vegetarians are weak ... in fact, i find it pretty focus It is impt to balance the food nutrients.

However, vegetarian food outside (esp chinese foodstalls) are pretty unhealthy. So , if most pple say eating vegetarian outside is healthy, it can be partially untrue. Most healthy vegetarian food need to be prepare from home.

Yes, there are problems eating out. My parents / relatives initially were worried. This is one of the main reasons many vegetarians goes back to non-vege.

Quote Originally Posted by David View Post
    This post is motivated by the following discussion from InitialE24:

http://forums.clubsnap.org/showthread.php?t=261515

It shows a video of how cruelly animals are treated for their meat. It's not just the terrible torture that they go thru....(it's really disgusting how the poor animals are being treated!) it's the bad stuffs we are taking in too!

For those who are vegetarians, do you have problems when it comes to eating out? I always use this as an excuse for not becoming one.

Where do you normally eat and how do you ensure you get your daily nutritional needs especially if you are active in sports?

Hi David,

My husband (his nick in clubsnap is Khowen) and I both became vegetarians almost 3 years ago. At first we do have problems when eating out but as time passes and we know more and more eating places, eating out is not a problem for us anymore. Our favourite eating places is Yuan Xiang which is located at Sunshine Plaza (opposite Peace Centre) and Gokul which is located at Upper Dickson Road. Although Gokul is an Indian restaurant it has alot of chinese varieties. As for nutrients we are not so well versed in that but we just make sure that we take a lot of veggies and fruits and for me I take a lot of soya products. So far so good for us. My husband had always been very active in sports and that was so even after he become a vegetarian. He had ran 2 full marathons, participated in the vertical marathon and ran other half marathons since becoming a vegetarian. But it is always good to read up more on the nutritional needs and we are working towards that as well. Hope all these helps.

yes yes,

Pls continue to recommended more nice vegetarian places to eat. Thanks.

Haha, ops then this VCD will prove you wrong. Do you know that there is a prediction of shortage of animals in the years to come? In order to get 1 KG of meat which is so lacking in the nutrient that we need, you need a few hectas of land for the animal to graze just to get 1kg of meat. Think abt it if we are the ones using the land to feed for the veg, why waste it on the cow which return you with so little meat for that piece of land?
    well said....

Quote Originally Posted by ianpaice View Post
    yes yes,

Pls continue to recommended more nice vegetarian places to eat. Thanks.
    I like the vege resturant "Just Green" located at Joo Chiat (near Fei Fei wanton mee). They have alot of variety ( economic rice/vege, handmade noodles and individual dishes). You can eat in the air con environment even if you choose to eat the economic rice. Cosy place and not too expensive.

These eateries will get real crowded on the Lunar 1st day or 15th day of the month.

Quote Originally Posted by JW73 View Post
    Most of us are brought up eating meat.

I blamed myself for not being strong for not being vegetarian. The fact is that if we are to eat meat alone without the seasonings( FYI..seasonings are mainly contain salt/soya/chilli./pepper./sugar..etc ) we will think meat is horrible. Example..if we eat raw fish..we need soya sauce and washbi to cover the fishy smell..

Therefore I believe human are born to love vege. We are attracted by the sweet smell of fruits but not the foul blood of animals. Unlike lions etc..they are really made to be meat eater.
    actually, i love to eat meat and sashimi without any sauce. I love the fishy smell.

i can steam fish and chicken without any sauce and eat .

i like the blood taste of steak...but i cannot eat blood

i like those fishy smell and whenever i cooked those fishy thing, my wife will scream at me.... she absolutely hate those prawn smell

Quote Originally Posted by melvin View Post
    For those who never tried or want to try out Vege Buffet can try this:

Taiwan vegetarian buffet at S$4.90 (20+ dishes)! Located at 511 Geylang Rd Lorong 27A (facing the main road). Tel no: 6848 4204. Opens from 11 am till 2.30 pm & 4.30 pm till 8.30 pm. Closed on chinese lunar calendar 2nd and 16th.

I have not been there yet but i see that the price is really good so thought of posting it to share with you guys!
    OK will try. so far haven't eaten any nice vegetarian food before. Hope that this one is nice

There is another one with buffet and steamboat which i went and quite nice is at: Quality Hotel at 201 Balestier Road. Lotus Restraunt at the 2nd floor.
    Dun expect the price to be like the geylang one i mention in the previous post!

I love meat. I love my slab of blood red rare steak. I love my sashimi fresh, from a live fish. I love ducksand pheasants I shot during the fall season. I love venison, from the dear that was shot over the mountain in Colorado.

I like vegetable also. I like fresh produce, which we don't get often in Singapore. I like fresh corn straight from the field. I like tomato from my mother's garden, and don't forget the blood orange and meyer lemon. I absolutely love the persimin from the tree in mom's back yard.

BUT I HATE OVER ZEALOT VEGETARIAN WHO TRY TO PROPHETIZE TO ME WHY I SHOULD GIVE UP MEAT. OVER YOUR DEAD BODY, I WILL CONTINUE TO EAT MEAT WHENEVER I WANT. EAT YOUR HEART OUT!
    deadpoet
    my portfolio

Quote Originally Posted by Deadpoet View Post
    I love meat. I love my slab of blood red rare steak. I love my sashimi fresh, from a live fish. I love ducksand pheasants I shot during the fall season. I love venison, from the dear that was shot over the mountain in Colorado.

I like vegetable also. I like fresh produce, which we don't get often in Singapore. I like fresh corn straight from the field. I like tomato from my mother's garden, and don't forget the blood orange and meyer lemon. I absolutely love the persimin from the tree in mom's back yard.

BUT I HATE OVER ZEALOT VEGETARIAN WHO TRY TO PROPHETIZE TO ME WHY I SHOULD GIVE UP MEAT. OVER YOUR DEAD BODY, I WILL CONTINUE TO EAT MEAT WHENEVER I WANT. EAT YOUR HEART OUT!
    tsk. you dun even deserve to eat.

*whoops. caught myself into a trap*
    Last edited by satay16; 28th February 2007 at 12:50 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by satay16 View Post
    tsk. you dun even deserve to eat.

*whoops. caught myself into a trap*
    Forgot to list, I love to munch on satay.
    deadpoet
    my portfolio

Quote Originally Posted by melvin View Post
    There is another one with buffet and steamboat which i went and quite nice is at: Quality Hotel at 201 Balestier Road. Lotus Restraunt at the 2nd floor.
    Dun expect the price to be like the geylang one i mention in the previous post!
    Was there once too. Was eyeing the chief, see when they are bringing out the bowl puff soup. wowow

Forgot to list, I love to munch on satay.
    vegetarian satays?

Was there once too. Was eyeing the chief, see when they are bringing out the bowl puff soup. wowow
    Have u tried it? Btw just came back from the Taiwain Stlye Buffet at Geylang not bad! Really $4.90 eat till u full!

I think it is always a blessing able to eat both meat and plants. Best of both worlds

I am a vegetarian because I can't affrod meat.

Quote Originally Posted by satay16 View Post
    vegetarian satays?
    If he is a man eater, then it has to be human satay.

Page 3 of 12 FirstFirst 123458 ... LastLast