If, after many attempts to recover payment and you're nowhere near getting what is due to you, probably the best course of action is to make a claim with the Small Claims Court. Obviously you need to furnish relevant proof or documentation and it will cost a small amount to file a claim, but no sensible business owner will ignore it. They will know you mean business and you're no pushover.