Thread: laptop antenna

Default laptop antenna

Hi

Using the wireless@sg with my Apple Airport.

Is there any USB devices that i can buy to boost up my receiving.

Thanks for your recommendation.

Default Re: laptop antenna

Quote Originally Posted by dreaming View Post
    Hi

Using the wireless@sg with my Apple Airport.

Is there any USB devices that i can buy to boost up my receiving.

Thanks for your recommendation.
    No. You're limited by the poor internal antennas of the Apple laptops and the weak wireless@SG signal.

Best bet: Buy a PCMCIA wireless card, assuming your laptop has a PCMCIA slot and the Apple Os supports the card.

Quote Originally Posted by Rashkae View Post
    No. You're limited by the poor internal antennas of the Apple laptops and the weak wireless@SG signal.

Best bet: Buy a PCMCIA wireless card, assuming your laptop has a PCMCIA slot and the Apple Os supports the card.
    Thanks Rashkae.

The Apple Antenna reception is rather strong so I think the signal from wireless@SG is weak.

BTW, My Apple iBook G4 can detect many wireless router in my neighbourhood. And no prob surfing at those Fast food outlet too.

Nope, there is no PCMCIA card.

There's a company called QuickerTek that makes USB transcievers that works for Macs. Only problem is the cost; its about US$200 excluding freight. Specification wise it's supposed to boost the signal by about 27db, but I've not tried that so I can't verify this.

BTW, the word PCMCIA is so last century. Its called PC card slot now. And furthermore, Apple dropped that when they started making MacBook Pros; they have in its place what's known as ExpressCard/34 slot.
    Last edited by nikonrus; 26th February 2007 at 05:10 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by nikonrus View Post
    BTW, the word PCMCIA is so last century. Its called PC card slot now. And furthermore, Apple dropped that when they started making MacBook Pros; they have in its place what's known as ExpressCard/34 slot.
    Call it what you want, it's still the PCMCIA specification.