Thread: Photography As A Career?

lacren
    Guests

Default Photography As A Career?

Hi guys, i have been wondering whether i should choose photography as a career. Where should i study for a degree in this field? I would really like to hear a lot of comments frm the experts n the professionals here. Thx

It all depends on what you want to do. If you elaborate further I'm sure myself and a few others will try to help you out. By that I mean what direction you are aiming to go, and what type of work you want to do, photography wise.

y do you want to be a photographer ?

it is not an easy road...
    36frames Wedding Photography - http://www.36frames.com
    rueyloon - http://www.rueyloon.com

Default Re: Photography As A Career?

Originally posted by lacren
    Hi guys, i have been wondering whether i should choose photography as a career. Where should i study for a degree in this field? I would really like to hear a lot of comments frm the experts n the professionals here. Thx
    IMHO photography is a calling, like becoming a priest, you either know you want to live the job and have the passion for it or you don't. So which are you?
    The Ang Moh from Hell
    Professional Photography - many are called, few are chosen!

If you really want to study photography and taking what has already been said in this thread, I would say go to the University of Missouri School of Communication. They have an excellent programme in Photojournalism.

If not, the Brooks Institute in California is really good too. One of my professors in university got his Phd from there. It is a degree in visual communication.

I also think that you ought to be able to find more resources in the internet.

any local insitutitions offering Dip or Phd for photography ?

Excuse my ignorance, but what do the few of you asking about getting a paper in photography hope to achieve that will greatly enhance your chances/opportunity/ability to be a photographer?

Have any of you ever considered that you can always be a great photographer regardless of whether you have a PSLE, O Level, NTC cert, Diploma in Nursing or Degree in Zoology.

Maybe you should think about a skill or paper is complimentary to your interest. e.g. Journalism, Engineering (optics) etc etc as there could be more.

there is a new school offering photograpy courses, ..... ... can't remember the name...
    36frames Wedding Photography - http://www.36frames.com
    rueyloon - http://www.rueyloon.com

Originally posted by Parchiao
    Excuse my ignorance, but what do the few of you asking about getting a paper in photography hope to achieve that will greatly enhance your chances/opportunity/ability to be a photographer?

Have any of you ever considered that you can always be a great photographer regardless of whether you have a PSLE, O Level, NTC cert, Diploma in Nursing or Degree in Zoology.

Maybe you should think about a skill or paper is complimentary to your interest. e.g. Journalism, Engineering (optics) etc etc as there could be more.
    yeah got a colleague who took the safra course and her portraits are damn good.. and she's a working photog (no hobby interests)

so u wanna be photojournalist or just photog?
    "I'm... dreaming... of a wide... angle~
    Just like the ones I used to know~"

lacren
    Guests

actually im in the IT field majoring in software engineering but just a diploma holder currently now... i thinking of my career now since im in the army now... so i thinking whether to continue a degree or study photography..

wats the diff between a photojournalist n a photographer?

n wat are the prospects?

btw.. im thinking of buying canon 10D or nikon d100.. heehee

Originally posted by lacren
    actually im in the IT field majoring in software engineering but just a diploma holder currently now... i thinking of my career now since im in the army now... so i thinking whether to continue a degree or study photography..

wats the diff between a photojournalist n a photographer?

n wat are the prospects?

btw.. im thinking of buying canon 10D or nikon d100.. heehee
    Photojournalists tell stories with pictures. Photographer can be anyone who just shoots.

Regards
    CK

Originally posted by rueyloon
    there is a new school offering photograpy courses, ..... ... can't remember the name...

really? u mean local school?