Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Results 21 to 40 of 51

Thread: Newbie needing help on recommendation and advise!!

  1. #21

    Default Re: Newbie needing help on recommendation and advise!!

    Quote Originally Posted by rainbowcsl View Post
    What's wrong with asking questions and advise from those more experienced than me???
    Precisely that I am new to DSLR, I am asking and clarifying before making a decision. There is always more to be learnt....
    My advise is to go to the library and read up more before posting more questions. This is the same as in the working world, nobody will give you fast answers, you have to put in an effort first!

    Just my views

    No offense!

  2. #22
    Moderator
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Location
    www.fuzzyeyeballs.com
    Posts
    8,242

    Default Re: Newbie needing help on recommendation and advise!!

    Quote Originally Posted by Clockunder View Post
    Some how I feel that threadstarter, by asking those questions, is not ready for a DSLR system yet.
    Come on, everyone has to start somewhere. I remember like 3 to 4 years ago, when a friend sold me his DSLR (after much convincing that I need one), I didn't even know how to mount the lens

  3. #23
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Where the wind blows...
    Posts
    4,528

    Default Re: Newbie needing help on recommendation and advise!!

    I beg to differ. This is a newbies' corner, mind you. If one is too offended with newbies' question, he has the option to stop coming into this corner of the forum. This is what i think. Why get upset with newbies' question in newbies' corner?

    Quote Originally Posted by Fumio View Post
    My advise is to go to the library and read up more before posting more questions. This is the same as in the working world, nobody will give you fast answers, you have to put in an effort first!

    Just my views

    No offense!

  4. #24
    Member SabaDen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    EastEnders
    Posts
    643

    Default Re: Newbie needing help on recommendation and advise!!

    Quote Originally Posted by Fumio View Post
    My advise is to go to the library and read up more before posting more questions. This is the same as in the working world, nobody will give you fast answers, you have to put in an effort first!

    Just my views

    No offense!
    Bro, give chance to newbies leh ... I read & read still blur. I put 101% effort but when come to experience with equipments, I no hab. Sorry ya ... no offense and thanks all in advance for guidance in future.

  5. #25

    Default Re: Newbie needing help on recommendation and advise!!

    Quote Originally Posted by SabaDen View Post
    HELP!!! I'm being swayed by the D80 Can anyone tell me whether the AF-S DX 18 - 135 mm F3.5 - F5.6G ED Kit lens is good enuf for Friends & Holiday shoot? Thanks ya.

    Definitely sufficient!

  6. #26
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Where the wind blows...
    Posts
    4,528

    Default Re: Newbie needing help on recommendation and advise!!



    My company's policy is to go into a business even if we are not ready, just get it and start doing it. When you are ready, you miss the boat.....so, keen to learn is the key....just like hiring fresh graduate, are they ready for the job? Never. Just like going into a university, are the fresh student ready? Never. Not ready for something new and difficult is an excuse not to do it...

    Just what I think about readiness to embark into something new.

    Quote Originally Posted by ndroo View Post
    Come on, everyone has to start somewhere. I remember like 3 to 4 years ago, when a friend sold me his DSLR (after much convincing that I need one), I didn't even know how to mount the lens

  7. #27

    Default Re: Newbie needing help on recommendation and advise!!

    Quote Originally Posted by lastboltnut View Post
    I beg to differ. This is a newbies' corner, mind you. If one is too offended with newbies' question, he has the option to stop coming into this corner of the forum. This is what i think. Why get upset with newbies' question in newbies' corner?
    Yo bro, i dun think anybody is offended or upset. Peace!

  8. #28

    Default Re: Newbie needing help on recommendation and advise!!

    Quote Originally Posted by rainbowcsl View Post
    Hi,

    I am currently using Canon S3 but felt very limited by it. Thus, I have decided to move on to DSLR and at the moment is considering a Nikon D80 this year. I will be into this hobby for long and would need some advise.

    a) Tempted to get a D200 instead but is it worth the extra $$?
    b) I will be into portrait, closeup shots (eg. animals, bugs) landscape and casual shooting, eg. special occassions, holidays overseas.
    Is there a one size fits all lens? Or do I need different lenses for different usage?
    c) If I get D80, should I get the one with the kit lens too? Or just get the body and buy the lenses that will suit my purposes.

    Need advise. Thanx!

    C.S
    Hi Rainbowcsl, btw what was the limitation with the S3 may i ask?

  9. #29
    Senior Member zoossh's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    8,725

    Default Re: Newbie needing help on recommendation and advise!!

    Quote Originally Posted by rainbowcsl View Post
    What's wrong with asking questions and advise from those more experienced than me???
    Precisely that I am new to DSLR, I am asking and clarifying before making a decision. There is always more to be learnt....
    i think you may have misunderstood his intention.

    DSLR is a huge investment especially when you are already considering to buy a non entry level camera body and non-kit lens. he is just worried that if you have yet to got to know the fundamental differences between DSLR and non-DSLR, you may plunge into a buy based on incomplete information from other forumers. information can't be complete becos there is just so much to cover.

    it took me a very long time to learn too.

  10. #30
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Where the wind blows...
    Posts
    4,528

    Default Re: Newbie needing help on recommendation and advise!!

    This is fair statement. Best is to stick with the kit lens, and a 50mm prime (good for learning composition with a prime, which makes you move around to recompose, then can appreciate the zoom better). Later than decide what to buy. Anyway the kit lens is selling at $420 (the last few is sold with this price) in the B&S, so not too bad to play with it first.

    Quote Originally Posted by zoossh View Post
    i think you may have misunderstood his intention.

    DSLR is a huge investment especially when you are already considering to buy a non entry level camera body and non-kit lens. he is just worried that if you have yet to got to know the fundamental differences between DSLR and non-DSLR, you may plunge into a buy based on incomplete information from other forumers. information can't be complete becos there is just so much to cover.

    it took me a very long time to learn too.

  11. #31
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Where the wind blows...
    Posts
    4,528

    Default Re: Newbie needing help on recommendation and advise!!

    I am ok, just telling my view.

    Quote Originally Posted by Fumio View Post
    Yo bro, i dun think anybody is offended or upset. Peace!

  12. #32
    Member Static's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Surfing soft porn in CS
    Posts
    1,079

    Default Re: Newbie needing help on recommendation and advise!!

    Quote Originally Posted by Fumio View Post
    Hi Rainbowcsl, btw what was the limitation with the S3 may i ask?
    Sometimes it's hard to focus with the S3...

    IMHO, the s3is is best suitable for still portraits and landscape.
    陳綺貞 2010 [夏季練習曲] 巡迴演唱會 Cheer Concert 13 Nov 2010 MAX Pavilion@Singapore Expo

  13. #33
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Where the wind blows...
    Posts
    4,528

    Default Re: Newbie needing help on recommendation and advise!!

    I agreed. still portraits and landscap can use tripod with the S3, if lowlight + moving subject.......Si Liao

    Quote Originally Posted by Static View Post
    IMHO, the s3is is best suitable for still portraits and landscape.

  14. #34

    Default Re: Newbie needing help on recommendation and advise!!

    Not sure about the focus part u r talking about but yes the lowlight is a problem for this camera.

    Cons for me: start-up speed, focusing speed and noise in lowlight - This eventually leads me to the Nikon D50

    However, it should be one of the top prosumer cam with the super-macro mode.

    Pros: Video recording, 4AA batt, IS, super-macro, extension tubes for add-ons, sweivel LCD, manual control......


  15. #35

    Default Re: Newbie needing help on recommendation and advise!!

    Quote Originally Posted by rainbowcsl View Post
    Hi,

    I am currently using Canon S3 but felt very limited by it. Thus, I have decided to move on to DSLR and at the moment is considering a Nikon D80 this year. I will be into this hobby for long and would need some advise.

    a) Tempted to get a D200 instead but is it worth the extra $$?
    b) I will be into portrait, closeup shots (eg. animals, bugs) landscape and casual shooting, eg. special occassions, holidays overseas.
    Is there a one size fits all lens? Or do I need different lenses for different usage?
    c) If I get D80, should I get the one with the kit lens too? Or just get the body and buy the lenses that will suit my purposes.

    Need advise. Thanx!

    C.S
    I got D80 and have not regretted since then. D200 has features like all-weather seal and metal body. It can meter with the old manual nikon lenses but D80 cannot (but for the bulk of amateur users, me included, we dun use manual lenses anyway!). D200 5fps vs 3fps in D80, etc, etc. U can compare them at nikon's website and choose the 2 cams for comparison.

    A good all-in-one lens is the 18-200mm VR, which i bought. not fantastic, but the range and quality is acceptable to many pros. so if it's good enuf for the pros, it's good enuf for me. i suggest u give the kit lens a miss, and get the D80 body with the 18-200mm VR. Downside is that it is not a fast lens, since the widest aperture is 3.5, and it closes more as u zoom. But u can up the iso, and D80 has quite good noise control. And can edit after that also using software, so weigh the pros and cons of the lens before deciding.

  16. #36

    Default Re: Newbie needing help on recommendation and advise!!

    Quote Originally Posted by SabaDen View Post
    HELP!!! I'm being swayed by the D80 Can anyone tell me whether the AF-S DX 18 - 135 mm F3.5 - F5.6G ED Kit lens is good enuf for Friends & Holiday shoot? Thanks ya.
    Quality wise, I think it's good enuf. Range a little short. If u have been to places, u'll realise that those who tell u to "walk closer to subject lah" are talking nonsense because u just can't jump across the grand canyon (u can try ) and take pics at the other side.

    Also, at 135mm, your hands must be really steady leh, otherwise handshake will be magnified as well! I suggest getting 18-200mm VR (which I did) and that's it. Wide enuf for most situations, long enuf, steady enuf!

  17. #37

    Default Re: Newbie needing help on recommendation and advise!!

    Thank you all who have responded.......

    I have done my share of research before posting here. Of course, in a world that has so much of advanced technology, I want to have an accelerated learning curve by posting questions here and learning from all of you. Reading is one thing but hearing from people who have experience is another. It adds depth to the research that you have done. And also with busy schedule that all of us have, of course I would hope to have my learning curve up and up quickly.....

    Also, I hope to purchase it before the GST goes up in July.......

    Another question: Do you guys who use nikon or canon DSLR use its built in flash or external flash that is mounted during shooting? Again I gather that it depends on the situation of shooting, but what are the limitation of such built in flash?

  18. #38

    Default Re: Newbie needing help on recommendation and advise!!

    Quote Originally Posted by zoossh View Post
    i think you may have misunderstood his intention.

    DSLR is a huge investment especially when you are already considering to buy a non entry level camera body and non-kit lens. he is just worried that if you have yet to got to know the fundamental differences between DSLR and non-DSLR, you may plunge into a buy based on incomplete information from other forumers. information can't be complete becos there is just so much to cover.

    it took me a very long time to learn too.
    Thank you for explaining in this manner. I appreciate it!!!

  19. #39
    Member SabaDen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    EastEnders
    Posts
    643

    Default Re: Newbie needing help on recommendation and advise!!

    Quote Originally Posted by xxccxx View Post
    Quality wise, I think it's good enuf. Range a little short. If u have been to places, u'll realise that those who tell u to "walk closer to subject lah" are talking nonsense because u just can't jump across the grand canyon (u can try ) and take pics at the other side.

    Also, at 135mm, your hands must be really steady leh, otherwise handshake will be magnified as well! I suggest getting 18-200mm VR (which I did) and that's it. Wide enuf for most situations, long enuf, steady enuf!
    Thanks ... thot of the 18-200 VR. What's the price like now?


    Thanks all you guys for the advice ... getting a clearer pic now.

  20. #40

    Default Re: Newbie needing help on recommendation and advise!!

    From my experience, I was a DSLR noob and got more knowledgable only after getting my DSLR..
    So for you I think you should just get the D80 with either the kit or the 18-200 if u can afford it...
    After that go out and shoot with your cam, and you'll slowly learn more about the technicalities and hences find out what you need...
    Canon 400D:18-55:75-300:50F1.8:tokina 28-70F2.8:
    msn - viroxmk5@hotmail.com

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •