Thread: Notebook freeze after sometime.

Default Notebook freeze after sometime.

Anyone can help diagnose what is the problem?

Situation 1):
    I can boot and surf but after a while the screen becomes unreadable meaning the image is like truncated everywhere and notebook freeze cannot even Ctrl Alt Del to restart had to power off and then on.

Under the hood it has an IBM 512M DDR RAM and I've added another 512M DDR RAM made by Patroit, but this was added like months ago and was working without any problems until the last few days.

Could it be caused by the RAM? what is good brand for DDR RAM 1G for T60 Lenevo?

Situation2):
    This is on my other IBM notebook T43, recently bought a 120Gb Harddisk from Hitachi and when I plug it in, it shows some harddisk error but when I press ESC everything runs as normal.

So everytime I boot up this message will appear and then Window starts like there is no problem, restored all my software and everything works, just that when boot up it has this harddisk error message.

Any help is much appreciated, thanks in advance.

../azul123

Default Re: Notebook freeze after sometime.

is it still under warranty? our help might make matters worse.

Quote Originally Posted by azul123 View Post

Situation 1):
    I can boot and surf but after a while the screen becomes unreadable meaning the image is like truncated everywhere and notebook freeze cannot even Ctrl Alt Del to restart had to power off and then on.

Under the hood it has an IBM 512M DDR RAM and I've added another 512M DDR RAM made by Patroit, but this was added like months ago and was working without any problems until the last few days.

Could it be caused by the RAM? what is good brand for DDR RAM 1G for T60 Lenevo?

Situation2):
    This is on my other IBM notebook T43, recently bought a 120Gb Harddisk from Hitachi and when I plug it in, it shows some harddisk error but when I press ESC everything runs as normal.

So everytime I boot up this message will appear and then Window starts like there is no problem, restored all my software and everything works, just that when boot up it has this harddisk error message.

../azul123
    SIT 1, might be LCD problem... or graphics module having problem... time to throw.

SIT 2, is it a SMART monitoring error? if it is, then time to change hdd, its a initial warning, if you dun change it, it will seize to function anytime soon.
    Logging Off. "You have 2,631 messages stored, of a total 400 allowed." don't PM me.

Try running on 512MB first (then switch to the other RAM also) n see whether the prob occurs....

For the second...can partition then install OS (maybe the mobo dun support 120GB ??)

bang....still got waranty or not? i guess the problem is with your graphic card. Send back to IBM, they after sales service is quite good.

Thanks guys, both still got warranty, just called IBM but they only work Mon-Fri... so I guess have to wait for their call back.

Sit1) Have not made any service call yet.

Sit2) Waiting for IBM to call back on Monday, I just downloaded the HDD firmware but still the same, so it does not look like a HDD firware issue because it said no firmware update needed. Anyway, I fallen back to using the lower capacity HDD and no problem.. still searching the web for solution, now searching Hitachi website to see if it is related to their newer HDD or not.

Have been using IBM for so long, first time have this type of problems

../azul123

Hi,

I think:
    1) The LCD connection via the hinges to the laptop is going kaput.

2) Can't really tell about the hard disk error; you should copy down the error message and post it to see if we can make more sense of it...

At least these are proving to be conversation pieces Good luck.

Sit2 error message is as follows:
    ERROR
    2010: Warning: Your internal hard disk drive (HDD) may not function correctly on this system. Ensure that your HDD is supported on this system and that the latest HDD firmware is installed.

Press <Esc> to continue

Press <F1> to Setup

That's the error message I got, this is a new HDD which I bought just a few days ago, very puzzling as I am not well versed with the inner workings of notebooks.

../azul123

I can think what IBM is going to say already. Possible reply, "oh, put back to factory HDD if no problem it is HDD problem."

Stuck either way, if I press Esc the system goes on normally, Windows start and everything works.

../azul123

Sit2 error message is as follows:
    ERROR
    2010: Warning: Your internal hard disk drive (HDD) may not function correctly on this system. Ensure that your HDD is supported on this system and that the latest HDD firmware is installed.

Press <Esc> to continue

Press <F1> to Setup

That's the error message I got, this is a new HDD which I bought just a few days ago, very puzzling as I am not well versed with the inner workings of notebooks.

../azul123
    Try to flash your system BIOS, it might be your current mobo might not be able to support 120G HDD. updating your BIOS might help.

Ok, I will check out their website to see if I can get the new BIOS and instructions to do this, hope I don't screw up.

../azul123

Situation 1):

../azul123
    This does not sound like a graphic issue since you cannot even do a Ctrl Alt Del. It sound more like a heat issue. try check if all fans are working properly.
    除了爱, 我一无所有

i have the same problem as situation one. same brand, same behaviour. sent in for servicing, they replaced the motherboard. FOC ( under waranty ).

Fan checks out ok, maybe not as strong. Glad I posted this... at least I know that others have same issues with my T60... heng ah still under warranty.

As for T43 BIOS Flashing, just read the instructions, need a floppy diskette drive,

Where got people buy diskette drives anymore, so I guess this one have to wait till IBM calls me. Thanks you guys, really helped alot and I understand a little better too.

../azul123