Results 1 to 8 of 8

Thread: Focus confirmation with MF lenses on DSLR ?

  1. #1

    Default Focus confirmation with MF lenses on DSLR ?

    Hello all,

    Sold off my camera recently, looking at pentax for a DSLR.

    Pentax just seems to have more MF lenses than AF ones. Does all of the MF lenses give a focus confirmation beep or something? (disregarding exposure issues)

    Another thing, is there such a thing as a nikon-mount to pentax mount converter for use of AI/AIS nikkor lenses?

    cheers

  2. #2

    Default Re: Focus confirmation with MF lenses on DSLR ?

    Quote Originally Posted by overdodo View Post
    Hello all,

    Sold off my camera recently, looking at pentax for a DSLR.

    Pentax just seems to have more MF lenses than AF ones. Does all of the MF lenses give a focus confirmation beep or something? (disregarding exposure issues)

    Another thing, is there such a thing as a nikon-mount to pentax mount converter for use of AI/AIS nikkor lenses?

    cheers
    Yes, pentax dSLR give off a confirmation beep when in-focus. If you want absolute focusing, you have the option to change the focusing screen to those microprism and split-screen type by 3rd-party. I think Pentax do have a lot of AF lenses too. Just that its able to support more MF lenses out there compared to other system like nik*n.

    F-mount to K-mount? nope.. not that I know off. I think the distance of the mount to the imaging/film plane is different. There are probably more experts around who can answer this question. However, Pentax dSLR does take all K-mount and M42 mount lenses.

    cheerss...

  3. #3

    Default Re: Focus confirmation with MF lenses on DSLR ?

    Quote Originally Posted by overdodo View Post
    Hello all,

    Sold off my camera recently, looking at pentax for a DSLR.

    Pentax just seems to have more MF lenses than AF ones. Does all of the MF lenses give a focus confirmation beep or something? (disregarding exposure issues)

    Another thing, is there such a thing as a nikon-mount to pentax mount converter for use of AI/AIS nikkor lenses?

    cheers

    Go buy a K10D/K100D, and you'll be a happy Pentaxian

    Yes, all Pentax K mount and M42 mount (w/ proper adapter) MF lenses would have focusing confirmation beep and a green focus indicator appears in the viewfinder (bottom bar) on any Pentax dSLR camera, and metering is very easy, just a matter of pressing a single button Some people did report exposure problem when using MF lens on the new K10D. I never tested it, so can't confirm this.

    I don't think there is a proper adapter for using Nikon lenses on a Pentax camera. But some people tried w/ some old Nikon lenses on Pentax camera w/o an adapter, and some lenses do work well on Pentax cameras:
    http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/re...ssage=19738793


    Looking forward to seeing your photos by a Pentax cam soon

    Cheers!

  4. #4

    Default Re: Focus confirmation with MF lenses on DSLR ?

    Quote Originally Posted by seafone View Post
    Yes, pentax dSLR give off a confirmation beep when in-focus. If you want absolute focusing, you have the option to change the focusing screen to those microprism and split-screen type by 3rd-party. I think Pentax do have a lot of AF lenses too. Just that its able to support more MF lenses out there compared to other system like nik*n.

    F-mount to K-mount? nope.. not that I know off. I think the distance of the mount to the imaging/film plane is different. There are probably more experts around who can answer this question. However, Pentax dSLR does take all K-mount and M42 mount lenses.

    cheerss...
    You beat me

  5. #5
    Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    Serangoon Ave. 4
    Posts
    274

    Default Re: Focus confirmation with MF lenses on DSLR ?

    Quote Originally Posted by seafone View Post
    Yes, pentax dSLR give off a confirmation beep when in-focus. If you want absolute focusing, you have the option to change the focusing screen to those microprism and split-screen type by 3rd-party. ...

    cheerss...
    If I were going to use MF lenses a lot, I would say a split-circle focusing screen is a necessity - makes things a LOT easier and more pleasant. The focus confirmation beep has been rather unpredictable with MF on all the 3 Pentax dslrs I have owned, and can come on often when the focus is not quite precise; and sometimes not at all. I haven't a clue why.

    Getting a good focusing screen opens to door to a whole lot of great manual lenses, though, and I think it's worth every penny. Makes it easier to check the focus on AF as well of course.

    Tim

  6. #6
    Member
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Redhill, Singapore
    Posts
    352

    Default Re: Focus confirmation with MF lenses on DSLR ?

    Quote Originally Posted by timo View Post
    If I were going to use MF lenses a lot, I would say a split-circle focusing screen is a necessity - makes things a LOT easier and more pleasant. The focus confirmation beep has been rather unpredictable with MF on all the 3 Pentax dslrs I have owned, and can come on often when the focus is not quite precise; and sometimes not at all. I haven't a clue why.

    Getting a good focusing screen opens to door to a whole lot of great manual lenses, though, and I think it's worth every penny. Makes it easier to check the focus on AF as well of course.

    Tim
    Focus confirmation is most imprecise and erratic when the AF/MF switch on the camera body is left on AF... try switching it to MF, then use focus confirmation as a guide... when the beep sound is heard, simply rely on your eye as you fine-tune the focus further.
    Last edited by alvinsclee; 24th February 2007 at 08:43 AM.
    * Take only pictures, leave only footprints, kill only time... and live a life! *
    :) Alvin

  7. #7

    Default Re: Focus confirmation with MF lenses on DSLR ?

    Quote Originally Posted by timo View Post
    If I were going to use MF lenses a lot, I would say a split-circle focusing screen is a necessity - makes things a LOT easier and more pleasant. The focus confirmation beep has been rather unpredictable with MF on all the 3 Pentax dslrs I have owned, and can come on often when the focus is not quite precise; and sometimes not at all. I haven't a clue why.

    Getting a good focusing screen opens to door to a whole lot of great manual lenses, though, and I think it's worth every penny. Makes it easier to check the focus on AF as well of course.

    Tim
    yeah, I agree with you. Pentax confirmation beep is good, but still not perfect when use with MF lenses. It will be a lot better if there is a split-circle/microprism focusing screen for MF lenses use. So that one can be absolutely sure the point in focus is in-focus.

    I am not sure how about other camera like nikon, canon? Any idea if they have the confirmation beep, green indicator or thing like that?

    Tim, are you using any of those screen?

  8. #8
    Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    Serangoon Ave. 4
    Posts
    274

    Default Re: Focus confirmation with MF lenses on DSLR ?

    Quote Originally Posted by seafone View Post
    yeah, I agree with you. Pentax confirmation beep is good, but

    Tim, are you using any of those screen?
    Yes, Katzeye on my DS. It works. I've forgotten the exact price but it wasn't cheap. On the other hand if it means you actually use the lenses you have, it's worth it.

    I know people say you can focus accurately by eye without a split-circle screen; all I can say is I can't! Or at least, not without a lot of effort. Just not worth the hassle.

    A proper focusing screen means you can even focus a Zenitar fisheye accurately (and in my case demonstrate how badly calibrated the lens is - the lens markings are out by about 3mm!)

    Tim

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •