Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: shooting friends this weekend (need help)

Default Re: shooting friends this weekend (need help)

Quote Originally Posted by bpmphoto View Post
    ... or we must meet lah.

OK?

smart!
    Great photography is about depth of feeling, not depth of field.
    Portfolio | Gallery

Quote Originally Posted by silver.wolf View Post

smart!
    the cleanest pass i've seen so far... the force is strong with this one...
    Logging Off. "You have 2,631 messages stored, of a total 400 allowed." don't PM me.

Deregistered

Quote Originally Posted by jeanie View Post
    i have
    2 x 500watts studio flash
    1 x soft box rectangular
    1 x soft box octagonal (BIG)
    a set of honeycombs
    a couple of big reflectors
    9 feet backdrop.

i need to shoot about 4-5 pax.
    casual informal shoot.

intend to do half body instead of full.

i have a couch that sits 2.the rest should be standing.

what's the best way to shoot them?
    i need advise on light placement.

any advise please?

here's my 1 cents thought.... go to the library and borrow some books about posing and lighting. examples there will give you more ideas.

Quote Originally Posted by ortega View Post
    easiest way is with 2 umbrellas for nice soft even light
    if you try to be too creative with your lighting

it might be right for one but bad for another person
    so create problems for you to solve
    i dont have umbrellas.
    other than those use for rainy days.
    got a white big one.can use that one?can ask my friend hold in front of naked strobe + reflector.will that work?it's translucent white.

Quote Originally Posted by bpmphoto View Post
    There are 2 option:
    A.
    1. Place 1 500W/s (full power) w BIG soft box octagonal as the main light, position i.e on the right side between you & object (but closer to you).
    2. Place your couple of big reflectors (I hope white color) on left side (close to object), act as fill light.
    3. Place the other 500W/s w soft box rectangular as hair light on the left side, behind object.

B.
    1. Place 1 500W/s w soft box rectangular above your camera +/- 1m as the main light
    2. Place your couple of big reflectors below between you & object close to object.
    3. Place 1 500W/s w BIG soft box octagonal above - behind object (you must use boom light) as hair light.

Actually difficult to explain. The best way is I draw the lighting placement, or we must meet lah.

OK?

very helpful.in fact, your option A is the same as one of the 'old birds' in here who PM me the advise.

question:
    for option A
    will the soft rectangular softbox that fires for hair light cause flare?
    so does that mean i do not lit the backdrop and leave it as it is?will that look good?
    also, if the SB for hairlight is on to my left, will the subjects nearer to the SB get more hairlight than those on my right?

for option B,
    it's out because i dont have the boom and i dont think the light stand can go that high.

additional question:

for shooting more than 2 pax,(up to 5), what orientation should i shoot at?
    portrait or landscape or both should do the trick?

Quote Originally Posted by jacob View Post
    here's my 1 cents thought.... go to the library and borrow some books about posing and lighting. examples there will give you more ideas.
    i almost read all the amsherst books and those found in kinokuniya already.

most talk about portraiture for a single model or for a couple.
    most dont talk about groups.

those which did, very brief runthrough and doesnt explain much.

...can ask my friend hold in front of naked strobe + reflector...
    Haha... I misread it the first time round "can ask my friend hold in front of the strobe naked..."

The book I recommended you is still available in Times (was there yesterday)... cheap cheap <$40.

BC

Quote Originally Posted by Scaglietti View Post
    Haha... I misread it the first time round "can ask my friend hold in front of the strobe naked..."

The book I recommended you is still available in Times (was there yesterday)... cheap cheap <$40.

BC

dun spoil my impression of you lei!!!! you so humsup one meh?
    jj

what book?i didnt get any email or pm from you regarding any book.

Quote Originally Posted by jacob View Post
    hi hi Jeanie..i may be noob but i did my homework on these kinda stuff..err...Library books..Shld get the PRO-LIGHT Portraits book.its good.The book consists of the lightings placement,some explanations here n there and the end result.I like that book..

i would highly recommend that you buy it from where...mayb u cld check wif the library cst svc.

heheh..pardon me liao say soo much but oni a noob
    :sweatsm: Kaname Chidori COOL!

Quote Originally Posted by Vampira View Post
    hi hi Jeanie..i may be noob but i did my homework on these kinda stuff..err...Library books..Shld get the PRO-LIGHT Portraits book.its good.The book consists of the lightings placement,some explanations here n there and the end result.I like that book..

i would highly recommend that you buy it from where...mayb u cld check wif the library cst svc.

heheh..pardon me liao say soo much but oni a noob
    thanks.will check it out.i prob have the books just that i got too many i dont bother remembering titles.

hows your MUA forum going along gal?

thanks.will check it out.i prob have the books just that i got too many i dont bother remembering titles.

hows your MUA forum going along gal?
    gg slow..still joting dwn some points here and there b4 loading up for real..too many cons VS pros.

Thx babe..and good luck for your shoot.
    :sweatsm: Kaname Chidori COOL!

Quote Originally Posted by Vampira View Post
    gg slow..still joting dwn some points here and there b4 loading up for real..too many cons VS pros.

Thx babe..and good luck for your shoot.
    btw, any portfolios to see?
    i can help recommend you to my friends.
    i always have alot of friends having parties, and DNDs, weddings...blah.

pm me if you wish.

very helpful.in fact, your option A is the same as one of the 'old birds' in here who PM me the advise.

question:
    for option A
    will the soft rectangular softbox that fires for hair light cause flare?
    so does that mean i do not lit the backdrop and leave it as it is?will that look good?
    also, if the SB for hairlight is on to my left, will the subjects nearer to the SB get more hairlight than those on my right?

for option B,
    it's out because i dont have the boom and i dont think the light stand can go that high.

additional question:

portrait or landscape or both should do the trick?
    i got boom & umbrella which i bought but only used once or twice... my studio room kena confiscated... so now no place to setup... u wan i can lend u... lets meet up...

making a 2nd pass...
    Logging Off. "You have 2,631 messages stored, of a total 400 allowed." don't PM me.

HI Jeannie

A funny question, why do you want the 5 person to only take half body shots?
    Of course it could be very formal but I think you did mention its a casual shoot

Does your backdrop goes over the floor? As in the 5 person can sit on the backdrop?
    If so, you can have everyone lie on their back in a circle heads facing one another like a star
    The lighting you can probably use it to diffuse the shadows but you can always experiment

Or use a small stool or ottoman and have the 5 person making random poses around it
    Just my few thoughts on poses in a studio

Smile Re: shooting friends this weekend (need help)

question:
    for option A
    will the soft rectangular softbox that fires for hair light cause flare? > Do u use digital camera? So u can try 1st. Use lens hood, so no stray light to ur lens.

so does that mean i do not lit the backdrop and leave it as it is?> off course u must lit ur backdrop. But don't place the backdrop on the wall, u can use 2 big light stands to hang ur backdrop, so u can place soft rectangular softbox behind backdrop.

also, if the SB for hairlight is on to my left, will the subjects nearer to the SB get more hairlight than those on my right? > lit the lamp more higher, adjust the angle so the light distribute well to all group.

for option B,
    .. and i dont think the light stand can go that high.> use small table to raise the lightstand.

additional question:

portrait or landscape or both should do the trick?> It depend on ur preferences

Quote Originally Posted by stkh8888 View Post
    HI Jeannie

A funny question, why do you want the 5 person to only take half body shots?
    Of course it could be very formal but I think you did mention its a casual shoot

Does your backdrop goes over the floor? As in the 5 person can sit on the backdrop?
    If so, you can have everyone lie on their back in a circle heads facing one another like a star
    The lighting you can probably use it to diffuse the shadows but you can always experiment

Or use a small stool or ottoman and have the 5 person making random poses around it
    Just my few thoughts on poses in a studio

i dont understand the your suggestion. u mean i ask the 5 persons to all LIE on the backdrop to form a star fish kind of pattern?
    cannot lah.they are not that close to me and asking them to pose like that is kindof 'funny'.

what's a ottoman?

Quote Originally Posted by Del_CtrlnoAlt View Post
    i got boom & umbrella which i bought but only used once or twice... my studio room kena confiscated... so now no place to setup... u wan i can lend u... lets meet up...

making a 2nd pass...
    if you sincere, courier the items to me.

if you sincere, courier the items to me.
    like as if i know your address...

so does that mean i do not lit the backdrop and leave it as it is?> off course u must lit ur backdrop. But don't place the backdrop on the wall, u can use 2 big light stands to hang ur backdrop, so u can place soft rectangular softbox behind backdrop.

also, if the SB for hairlight is on to my left, will the subjects nearer to the SB get more hairlight than those on my right? > lit the lamp more higher, adjust the angle so the light distribute well to all group.

correct me please.but if you put the hairlight SB to the left of the subjects, no matter how high the SB is and how powerful it is, the subject nearer the SB will STILL get the most hairlight, as oppose to subject to my right(subject furthest from hairlight SB).no?

Quote Originally Posted by Del_CtrlnoAlt View Post
    like as if i know your address...
    you nebber ask mah

c**** road.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast