Thread: What's the difference between a diffusion dome and a bounce card?

Default What's the difference between a diffusion dome and a bounce card?

Hi there!
    I bought the SB-80DX, and they supplied me with a diffusion dome.

I was contemplating on getting a Lumiquest, probably the 80-20, but I was wondering what are the differences between the both of them (in terms of flash output?)

And just to ask, is the 80-20 a good choice?
    Thanks a lot!

PS: And woah, Nikon's flash metering system is really good!
    Last edited by SNAG; 27th February 2003 at 07:43 PM.

I've used 80-20 for a few of my friend's wedding. It is very good. As it has quite a bit of forward light, it helps to brighten up the faces more than just a bare bounce from the ceiling. I don't know how much forward light a diffusion dome has though when you point your flash upwards, I guess maybe less than the 80-20. Maybe you can get one 80-20 from your friends to try to see if you like it. If you don't have friends that own it, you may get it from me to try out. Quite expensive though for a piece of plastic.

BTW, when you move outdoors, the 80-20 can still provide enough forward light (my case is an SB28) to do fill in flash. Really great for events and weddings.

One problem with the dome is that if you point your flash at a 45 degree angle, and you are lower than your subject, there is a possibility that your subject may be lit up by the direct flash and not the bounced light. This is not first hand experience though, just a point from my friend.

Just an additional point, be careful of the color of the interior when doing bounce, it can give you quite a bit of undesired color cast (eg. green!).

Default Re: What's the difference between a diffusion dome and a bounce card?

Originally posted by SNAG
    Hi there!
    I bought the SB-80DX, and they supplied me with a diffusion dome.

I was contemplating on getting a Lumiquest, probably the 80-20, but I was wondering what are the differences between the both of them (in terms of flash output?)

And just to ask, is the 80-20 a good choice?
    Thanks a lot!

PS: And woah, Nikon's flash metering system is really good!
    The 'diffusion dome' as you call it is actually for use with 14mm lenses.

The 80/20 is excellent, I've been using one for several years and its great for general fill work, certainly better than the Omnibounce.
    The Ang Moh from Hell
    Professional Photography - many are called, few are chosen!