Thread: B&W Prints: Disaster!

Default B&W Prints: Disaster!

Was wondering if I could get help/advice from seasoned photographers who've worked with loads of Black & White film.

Here's the situation. I shot a roll of Lucky ASA 100 B&W film. Sent it for processing. Uncle said they could only process it with C-41 and thus the images will have a slight monochrome (not pure B&W) colour to it. I said okay since that's the best they can do and I'm in a rush to see the results since its my first B&W roll.

I came back. He showed me the negatives. And its CLEAR. You can see through it. How come???

What i could think of.
    1) B&W cannot be processed with C-41.
    2) They can be. BUT only certain B&W film.

Do advice. Thanks in advance!

Default Re: B&W Prints: Disaster!

Blame it on the uncle........sorry, but sometimes you need to learn the hard way: black and white film can not be processed in C-41 chemicals.

He may have thought you were using those films that CAN be developed in C-41 but it should be written on the roll itself. I think Lucky film is not a C-41 film?? Not a so Lucky film after all........Hope you had no important images on it?

Hong Sien

1) B&W films are b&W films and can only be developed with proper B&W film developing solutions. C41 is more for color films. If you want C41 developable B&W film, try Kodak's.

2) Try going to FEE FEE or Ruby if you want to develop your B&W films. If not, you can learn developing them yourself which makes it all the more fun.

you can learn developing them yourself which makes it all the more fun.
    Yap, its lot of fun if you can develop it yourself. Try once during a photography lesson in 2002. The part whereby you need to extract the negative from the roll in total pitch dark environment is exciting.

But getting a dark room with proper equipment is another issue...

Thanks all! I feel more powerful now. Gonna get another roll soon and make sure i do it right this time!

Thanks again!

Quote Originally Posted by adamothirteen View Post
    Thanks all! I feel more powerful now. Gonna get another roll soon and make sure i do it right this time!

Thanks again!
    Sorry to hear about your film. It's quite likely that the Uncle made a mistake by thinking that your roll was a C-41 "friendly" B&W film that builds an image using dye (rather than silver).

However, do note that traditional B&W films CAN be developed in a C-41 developer. Just don't look forward to the results.

Your clear film is probably a result of the bleach fixing in the C-41 process.