Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Results 41 to 51 of 51

Thread: Singaporean scuba diver found unconscious but alive

  1. #41
    Moderator LOTUSfairy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Serangoon
    Posts
    3,337

    Default Re: Singaporean scuba diver found unconscious but alive

    I remembered during my 1st training dives, my instructors took 6 of us @ puala timon..
    many times we "sort of" panicky when we lost our instructor (only 1 instructor).
    we dun noe where we are heading cos the visiibility is only 5 metres...

    Timon considered calm...however there was once in a while, the current pushed me to other directions.. once i kana "drifted upon stationery" and bum into a sea urchin at the seabead. It stunged me on the foot (even with my fin on).. painful siah...

    I have to si-sah my way to the surface....and squeeze the poison out from my foot.
    the portion kana stunged turn black siah..

  2. #42

    Default Re: Singaporean scuba diver found unconscious but alive

    I have not done diving before, but what are the causes of those divers who have drown? I believe the tank should be able at least for 30 minutes, right? Diver should be able to swim back up to the surface under most circustances?

    If it is due to heavy current that swap the diver away, then going in pair also will not help, only able to tell the family why his/her partner drown.

    Could the problem be due the oxegent tank problem, like air got chock, Oxegent level not correct and cause the diver to lose conscious? If this is the reason than going in pair will be helpful.

    Sorry for asking too many basic questions.

  3. #43
    Moderator LOTUSfairy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Serangoon
    Posts
    3,337

    Default Re: Singaporean scuba diver found unconscious but alive

    Quote Originally Posted by poh6702 View Post
    I have not done diving before, but what are the causes of those divers who have drown? I believe the tank should be able at least for 30 minutes, right? Diver should be able to swim back up to the surface under most circustances?

    If it is due to heavy current that swap the diver away, then going in pair also will not help, only able to tell the family why his/her partner drown.

    Could the problem be due the oxegent tank problem, like air got chock, Oxegent level not correct and cause the diver to lose conscious? If this is the reason than going in pair will be helpful.

    Sorry for asking too many basic questions.
    no leh... if the oxygen tank "no air", we could use the buddy spare "pipe" for breathing...then both of them could surface together slowly..
    more than ample time...no time to panic.

  4. #44

    Default Re: Singaporean scuba diver found unconscious but alive

    must be the bends - nitrogen buildup

    or maybe they filming <umizaru III>? sg version

  5. #45
    Senior Member +evenstar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Singapore / United Kingdom
    Posts
    5,655

    Default Re: Singaporean scuba diver found unconscious but alive

    Quote Originally Posted by Zippsy View Post
    ahhhh... you must be a friend of his to know that. Sorry for your loss.
    nah...not my friend..just that i've a pic of the receipt of the gear he bought before the trip
    eat. drink. shoot

  6. #46
    Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    East Coast Sinjaipur
    Posts
    82

    Default Re: Singaporean scuba diver found unconscious but alive

    Quote Originally Posted by +evenstar View Post
    nah...not my friend..just that i've a pic of the receipt of the gear he bought before the trip
    That was my initial guess. If you are talking about the picture in the new paper, that receipt was for his course, not equipment.

  7. #47

    Default Re: Singaporean scuba diver found unconscious but alive

    who in the right mind as to go diving on the eve of Chinese New Year

    i won't lor

  8. #48
    Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    East Coast Sinjaipur
    Posts
    82

    Default Re: Singaporean scuba diver found unconscious but alive

    a four-day holiday? Are you kidding? Hundreds, Singaporeans and other residents go off during that time. Most dive shops start their season then and offer overseas trips.

    As far as taking a course then, if you've already completed any CNY preparations, why not? It's not like getting injured or worse is a common occurrence when diving. You don't stop driving, flying, riding a motorbike, walking across the street on CNY eve, do you?

  9. #49

    Default Re: Singaporean scuba diver found unconscious but alive

    Quote Originally Posted by poh6702 View Post
    I have not done diving before, but what are the causes of those divers who have drown? I believe the tank should be able at least for 30 minutes, right? Diver should be able to swim back up to the surface under most circustances?

    If it is due to heavy current that swap the diver away, then going in pair also will not help, only able to tell the family why his/her partner drown.

    Could the problem be due the oxegent tank problem, like air got chock, Oxegent level not correct and cause the diver to lose conscious? If this is the reason than going in pair will be helpful.

    Sorry for asking too many basic questions.
    theres many ways a driver can drown. getting stuck in obstacle. swept by currents. in poor visibility to lose your oxygen supply and then panic and not be able to put your regulator back on in time.
    normally even if you run out of air, its not difficult if you have sufficient training to do an emergency ascent. even from 20-30 feet, which is about as deep as you would normally dive in training at pulau hantu.. but if you have insufficient training etc, then you may not be able to do it properly or get to the surface in time. but sometimes in poor visibility, especially if theres a current pulling u, its possible to get disoriented and you may not know which direction is up.

    its unlikely to have been due to decompression sickness. for a training dive they would not have been to deep. also DCS itself wont cause drowning but you can die from other causes.
    Last edited by jdredd; 23rd February 2007 at 03:33 PM.

  10. #50

    Default Re: Singaporean scuba diver found unconscious but alive

    Quote Originally Posted by jdredd View Post
    theres many ways a driver can drown. getting stuck in obstacle. swept by currents. in poor visibility to lose your oxygen supply and then panic and not be able to put your regulator back on in time.
    normally even if you run out of air, its not difficult if you have sufficient training to do an emergency ascent. even from 20-30 feet, which is about as deep as you would normally dive in training at pulau hantu.. but if you have insufficient training etc, then you may not be able to do it properly or get to the surface in time. but sometimes in poor visibility, especially if theres a current pulling u, its possible to get disoriented and you may not know which direction is up.

    its unlikely to have been due to decompression sickness. for a training dive they would not have been to deep. also DCS itself wont cause drowning but you can die from other causes.
    i didn't know being a driver can drown...hahaha

  11. #51
    Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    East of Singapore
    Posts
    551

    Default Re: Singaporean scuba diver found unconscious but alive

    Quote Originally Posted by jdredd View Post
    ... in poor visibility to lose your oxygen supply and then panic and not be able to put your regulator back on in time...
    there seems to be a misconception that recreational divers carry with them a tank of oxygen for breathing underwater. Actually we are not so advance, we breath cheap compressed air only

    but this is not a diving forum, so I shall not bored you with the technical explanation

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •