Thread: Metering modes?

Default Metering modes?

My camera has a number of metering modes:

ESP
    Center weighted metering
    spot metering

I think I basically understand the differences between them, but which one do I use for different situations? And what exactly do I meter on, the subject or the background?

Why not try all for the same shot in various modes and then compare them. Use slides for best comparison.

When you have TTL spot metering, don't even bother about the other two.

Spot metering can be used for all situation, unless you're too lazy to learn anything about this wonderful tool. Meter all the parts in a scene you're interested and fit them all into the picture the way you like with a single Manual Exposure setting

The CW metering depends on how it was constructed. If you compare the CW of various manuafacturers, you'll notice that all CW patterns are different. In most situations, if you don't fill the frame with the portion you're interested, you don't even know what the hack the meter is look at when you have a sky and land in the same scene. You have to use this when you have those old manual SLR, eg FM2n. Its still a lot better than a manual SLR with no meter

What the hack is "ESP" ???
    Last edited by jasonpgc; 27th February 2003 at 09:12 PM.

Originally posted by jasonpgc
    When you have TTL spot metering, don't even bother about the other two.

Spot metering can be used for all situation, unless you're too lazy to learn anything about this wonderful tool. Meter all the parts in a scene you're interested and fit them all into the picture the way you like with a single Manual Exposure setting

The CW metering depends on how it was constructed. If you compare the CW of various manuafacturers, you'll notice that all CW patterns are different. In most situations, if you don't fill the frame with the portion you're interested, you don't even know what the hack the meter is look at when you have a sky and land in the same scene. You have to use this when you have those old manual SLR, eg FM2n. Its still a lot better than a manual SLR with no meter

What the hack is "ESP" ???
    I think he's using a Olympus camera...
    And ESP metering is their so called "matrix metering"