Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Macbook Pro - Worth The Extra $900?

Blog Entries

Default Re: Macbook Pro - Worth The Extra $900?

actually nowadays it is called a notebook
    laptops are so... last decade

Ultimate question is whether is the $3480 for the basic Macbook Pro worth your money.

Comparing price for Specs as what Ortega posted, wouldn't a windows based notebook with the same price range give you better value for what you want to do?

But if you are so insistent on the Mac, I would go for the 15.4" screen and max out the RAM.

Quote Originally Posted by agape01 View Post
    Ultimate question is whether is the $3480 for the basic Macbook Pro worth your money.

Comparing price for Specs as what Ortega posted, wouldn't a windows based notebook with the same price range give you better value for what you want to do?

But if you are so insistent on the Mac, I would go for the 15.4" screen and max out the RAM.
    Im sick of Windows, and VISTA looks like a joke, so im jumping ship to mac. I wont max out the RAM, because frankly that is way too expensive.

Windows? Urgh. Disgusting clone

Quote Originally Posted by wildstallion View Post
    Im sick of Windows, and VISTA looks like a joke, so im jumping ship to mac. I wont max out the RAM, because frankly that is way too expensive.
    who say Vista is joke? the feb security and OS patches, Vista not affected. So Vista is great

agree. a windows based notebook is more value for money than MB. besides u can also install OS X into a common "pc". i'm looking into it at the moment & apparently it works, but the drivers installation is a bit of a pain... much more painful than installing drivers for XP cos u need to use the Unix Syntax command.

back to thread no.1, if u need to do some editing (i assume its video using FCP), u MUST have the pro ver for its dedicated graphics feature. i understand FCP won't install in a integrated graphics machine... of cos there's a workaround...

Vista not that disgusting lah... look at the newest Leopard OS, got parental controls & Themes (skins), which r sooooo XP....

Quote Originally Posted by Paul_Yeo View Post
    who say Vista is joke? the feb security and OS patches, Vista not affected. So Vista is great
    'Looks like a joke' 5 years in the making and thats all they have? Its better then XP, but Apple just seem way ahead of the game, especially with Leopard

they spent 5 yrs figuring out how to implement very solid DRM to control users. thats really bad.... who wants to buy a toyota & keep asking the co. for permission to use it? after changing tyres... ask permission. change steering wheels... ask permission.
    Last edited by nightpiper; 22nd February 2007 at 03:48 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Paul_Yeo View Post
    cos got ppl like u mah, they dun release doesn't mean dun need.. just drag abit longer for confidence perhaps... next moment u hear a hacker hacked a vista... then u see alot of ppl change from witness to plaintiff...
    Logging Off. "You have 2,631 messages stored, of a total 400 allowed." don't PM me.

Quote Originally Posted by nightpiper View Post
    agree. a windows based notebook is more value for money than MB. besides u can also install OS X into a common "pc". i'm looking into it at the moment & apparently it works, but the drivers installation is a bit of a pain... much more painful than installing drivers for XP cos u need to use the Unix Syntax command.
    Is what you do to your PC legal?

If so, I think many people would be interested!

Quote Originally Posted by Del_CtrlnoAlt View Post
    and Macbook is glossy screen, Macbook Pro is Matt screen...
    MacBook Pro got glossy screen as well.

As for RAM, I've heard you can buy and upgrade them yourself. Easy and doesn't void the warranty.

Well, not that I'm trying to convince you to buy a MBP. Because I'm also trying to convince myself if the extra SGD900.00 is worth the money!

Quote Originally Posted by wildstallion View Post
    As the title suggests. is the Macbook Pro worth all that extra money?

Im looking at the top range Macbook or the lowest Macbook Pro.

The laptop will mainly be used for general work, maybe some on the go editing, no gaming, music will be played lots and some movies. The Macbook Pro is definitely better, but is it nearly $1000 better?

Any feedback would be greatly appreciated, I have no experience with Apple laptops, hence this thread. I do own an Imac though, so im not totally clueless Mac wise.

Cheers Guys!
    Hey WS... here is something you may wish to consider... The MB Pro will be useful if you need to do video editing or need the services of a independent graphics card. The MB by itself, with 1 gig of Ram is very much sufficient for photo editing, playing of music and movies so i think it should suffice.

If you can wait, word has it that a 15" MB might be coming out so you may wish to consider that as well.

Good luck.

Quote Originally Posted by hobbit6003 View Post
    Is what you do to your PC legal?

If so, I think many people would be interested!
    i can even change the CPU to 2.16GHz 4MB cache if i want to. what so illegal about that? why shud a company dictates how u use your purchase? i can even tear it apart & burn it if i so wish to.

apparently when it comes to this computer software thingy, usage is imposed. if i rem correctly, there's this case going on regarding imposing users from how they can use their computers in the EU, thus born the Open Source push. i fully support this uproar.

is apple going to sue or can apple sue me if i use their OS X disc as a frisbie & have fun with my kids? totally ridiculous i tell ya...

Quote Originally Posted by Wolfgang View Post
    Hey WS... here is something you may wish to consider... The MB Pro will be useful if you need to do video editing or need the services of a independent graphics card. The MB by itself, with 1 gig of Ram is very much sufficient for photo editing, playing of music and movies so i think it should suffice.

If you can wait, word has it that a 15" MB might be coming out so you may wish to consider that as well.

Good luck.
    Im going to stick with the Macbook I believe, the Pro, has great as it is, is probably just a tad overkill for what I will be doing. Im very interested to wait and see if that 15" rumor is true. That would be great!

Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by nightpiper View Post
    i can even change the CPU to 2.16GHz 4MB cache if i want to. what so illegal about that? why shud a company dictates how u use your purchase? i can even tear it apart & burn it if i so wish to.

apparently when it comes to this computer software thingy, usage is imposed. if i rem correctly, there's this case going on regarding imposing users from how they can use their computers in the EU, thus born the Open Source push. i fully support this uproar.

is apple going to sue or can apple sue me if i use their OS X disc as a frisbie & have fun with my kids? totally ridiculous i tell ya...
    Great!

If it is totally legal and can turn a PC into running Mac OS without any hitches, and cost much cheaper than an Apple original, I'll be one of the 1st to queue at your doorstep.

I'm serious!

Let me pose another question relating to Apple as this possibly be related to the TS.

It is true that graphics design, photography industry are basically usign Macs.

Ever taught of the reason why?

It is true that graphics design, photography industry are basically usign Macs.

Ever taught of the reason why?
    Mac is easier to use than windows for a novice/new/average/professional computer user....

Don't have to worry about Start | Control Panel | Settings ..... or Start | Control Panel | Add/Remove Programs...

Graphic Designers & Photographers don't like to worry & play with so much techy stuff... more into arty farty stuff...

AND... Mac interface & fonts looks more cool than windows!

Blog Entries

the hardware is also cool

Quote Originally Posted by hobbit6003 View Post
    Great!

If it is totally legal and can turn a PC into running Mac OS without any hitches, and cost much cheaper than an Apple original, I'll be one of the 1st to queue at your doorstep.

I'm serious!

queue at my doorstep for what? i dun sell these things. only do it for fun & strictly personal use.

so far the hitches r finding drivers & installing them to run on the mac. the good news is... its based on FreeBSD & there is quite a big support for that.

i wudn't dare say the same if u use the mac & run boot camp for XP. the 1st big problem is to get the air port working, which i dun think there's a XP driver for it.

apple hardware not cool at all... they r very proprietery. sell u more too for the same thing.

at the moment, testing out CS3 beta for next 25 days. so far flawless...(as in runs on the mac smoothly, less the beta glitches of cos)

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12