Thread: Red Colt

Default Red Colt

Spotted this car and took this pic due to the bright colours (nevertherless have to increase the saturation a little in PS to make it look like this), welcome any comments on how to improve this photo.

Default Re: Red Colt

Colors
    very nice

white balance is slightly off.
    more isolation of the car will be better.
    dead centre object = in your face, no sense of "discovery" and interest, no dynamism = dead photo.
    photo looks soft also.

other than these, i think this photo is spectacularly average.
    Last edited by babykailan; 21st February 2007 at 05:51 PM.
    Canon 5D & 35L + Panasonic Lumix GX1 & 20mm
    Flickr | Buy Baobao's photobook!

Thanks for the comments, do agree with that there was no dynamism.
    But if I have a tighter crop wouldn't it be more "dead centred"?

Better blank off the number plate for privacy reason.

Quote Originally Posted by raymond350 View Post
    Spotted this car and took this pic due to the bright colours (nevertherless have to increase the saturation a little in PS to make it look like this), welcome any comments on how to improve this photo.
    This shot if its your best, then its full of errors, otherwise, a passable snapshot (trolls please refrain from attacking me here, happy new year)

let me explain briefly...

Good part,
    I kinda like the way you have the 2 white line on the bottom of the screen, its deliberate i know...

horizon is straight, and there is plenty of horizontal lines that looks like layers after layers... which compliments the vertical line on the car.

Bad part,
    Glare, the front over exposure and strong reflection on the windscreen is a distraction, esp that we still get to see the misc tags and such, the over exposure caused the wipers to be less noticable.

Reflection, notice that there is a reflection on the right side which blinds off the headlights, and the other side shows a reflection of perhaps a building. another distraction.

Stickers, notice the ralliart sticker on the lower corner yet a cooper on the other side... i'd rather you delete it to show a cleaner feel.

Side mirrors, closed, i prefer open... personal preference.

1 vertical line beside the car, maybe should remove that to make it look better.

Leaves on the right tyre.

(Exclusive part)
    I dun understand the part on the staircase which does not lead to the car have anything to add to the aesthetic of the image. and strange enuff... the background seem to be fighting with the foreground for attention.

I do agree with what have been previously mentioned about the head on view and the angle. So i shall not go into those.

Overall a nice shot, but i know u can't control most of the things in the picture. since its not your car. but then again, i also dunno how could you improve on this image if you can't shoot it again with the same criteria.
    Logging Off. "You have 2,631 messages stored, of a total 400 allowed." don't PM me.

Forgot to add the solution part.

You can't ask the sun to change angle, instead, you can change yourself to suit the angle... for eg, from the look of it, the sun is on the right side. So you could either wait til noon, for a over head sun which will definitely match this image, or change the angle of shooting.

As for reflection, either a Cir-Pol (but seriously, dun help much) or a Tilt Shift Lens, but then again, the car is like a giant reflective sphere, no matter how, there is still reflection, its about how to minimise it and use PS to edit away.
    Logging Off. "You have 2,631 messages stored, of a total 400 allowed." don't PM me.

this picture will make better sense if presented as a part of a series of pictures about this place. as a picture about the car, it fails as a commercial shot for obvious reasons stated. if you can present a series of pictures of similar quality in colour and mood about the place, i'll pretty much look forward to seeing it.

Quote Originally Posted by Del_CtrlnoAlt View Post
    This shot if its your best, then its full of errors, otherwise, a passable snapshot (trolls please refrain from attacking me here, happy new year)

let me explain briefly...

Good part,
    I kinda like the way you have the 2 white line on the bottom of the screen, its deliberate i know...

horizon is straight, and there is plenty of horizontal lines that looks like layers after layers... which compliments the vertical line on the car.

Bad part,
    Glare, the front over exposure and strong reflection on the windscreen is a distraction, esp that we still get to see the misc tags and such, the over exposure caused the wipers to be less noticable.

Reflection, notice that there is a reflection on the right side which blinds off the headlights, and the other side shows a reflection of perhaps a building. another distraction.

Stickers, notice the ralliart sticker on the lower corner yet a cooper on the other side... i'd rather you delete it to show a cleaner feel.

Side mirrors, closed, i prefer open... personal preference.

1 vertical line beside the car, maybe should remove that to make it look better.

Leaves on the right tyre.

(Exclusive part)
    I dun understand the part on the staircase which does not lead to the car have anything to add to the aesthetic of the image. and strange enuff... the background seem to be fighting with the foreground for attention.

I do agree with what have been previously mentioned about the head on view and the angle. So i shall not go into those.

Overall a nice shot, but i know u can't control most of the things in the picture. since its not your car. but then again, i also dunno how could you improve on this image if you can't shoot it again with the same criteria.
    I am wowed by your detailed analysis.
    As you noticed there are many lines, mostly horizontal and I thought that the staircase at the back adds to that. The background is also darker compared to the car in front so it is not so attention grabbing

I'll have keep a sharper eye next time when shooting.

I see 4D number. Just kidding dude.

Quote Originally Posted by raymond350 View Post
    I am wowed by your detailed analysis.
    As you noticed there are many lines, mostly horizontal and I thought that the staircase at the back adds to that. The background is also darker compared to the car in front so it is not so attention grabbing

I'll have keep a sharper eye next time when shooting.
    I can be your living hell of details... but i simmered down already...

Actually your staircase is too saturated and striking that steals the attention away, perhaps if you desaturate and burn it would look better.