Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Blatant discrimination of NS serving Singaporean

Default Re: Blatant discrimination of NS serving Singaporean

Quote Originally Posted by theonlyone View Post
    True. Complain also no use. But why don't people train up to be fitter. Be more health conscious too (that means watch your diet besides exercising). In the long run, it benefits everyone. I've got colleagues who don't want to do RT and are "forced" to train up on their own. Makes them look healthier than those who have finished their cycles and the shape starts to balloon up.

Again, I've got colleagues who don't want to train up. Being able to leave early from work is one incentive and they like the idea of being force and paid to do exercise.
    when communication only runs in one direction, of course complain also no use lah

well, there are many reasons why people end up having to do RT, and of course reservists are compulsory whether you're fit or not. i don't think people are asking for ways to siam reservist, in fact so many people enjoy it. people are not happy now because serving the country has become a disadvantage for them in their work. since you're theonlyone, don't think you'll get it anyway

Quote Originally Posted by eikin View Post
    when communication only runs in one direction, of course complain also no use lah

well, there are many reasons why people end up having to do RT, and of course reservists are compulsory whether you're fit or not. i don't think people are asking for ways to siam reservist, in fact so many people enjoy it. people are not happy now because serving the country has become a disadvantage for them in their work. since you're theonlyone, don't think you'll get it anyway
    haha. i finished reservist liao cause i got called up to serve very early. of course i wun get it

Aiyah.. no choice lah.. EDB give money to all these companies to set up business here to hire foreigners mah... Better to be a foreign talent here than a citizen!! Better prospects!! So what if no progress package? So what if housing is more expensive? Housing allowance will be paid for by companies anyway.

Going for ICT and RT is disruptive enough! Especially when we are working globally, our customers are in US, Taiwan, China. Do they care whether we need to do NS liabilities? They don't!! They just want the job done. Is it fair to get colleagues to help us when we need to go for ICT? I don't think so. We have our own projects to handle and the problem set is different for everyone, so they may not be able to handle the situation if any complicated problems arise.

I would feel that only by shortening the NS and ICT duration or totally abolishing it would put Singaporeans back in contention with the rest of the growing ecomony. Is the govt even listening? The foreigners will think that we are just idiots to give them our money to operate here. Does it create more jobs for Singaporeans? Definitely wot with that kind of attitude those foreign talents show. Is it worth it? Is it fair to Singaporeans?

Let me cite my recent encounter. I just completed my RT not long ago, but during the last week of the phase 2 RT, I needed to go to Taiwan to support one of our customers, so I called up my unit to ask if I could be excused for 2 sessions because there wasn't enough sessions to do a make-up anymore. The unit told me I have to get my company to write a letter and then they can help me book RT all over again! SIAO!!! I only had to more sessions to go and have to go through the whole RT phase 2 again?!?!? Absurd!!! In the end, the company assigned a (Malaysian) colleague to go on my behalf. I'm sure my boss, the customer and my colleague wasn't very happy with this arrangement but no choice because if I need to go through RT all over again, I would be leaving the company earlier twice each week for 4 weeks. They could not afford to do that. And I need to go back for ICT next week, even though reluctant, they have to let me go. Even though reluctant, I have to go back. I think as Singaporean, I feel VERY disadvantaged compared to my foreign colleagues.

In Taiwan, there's this option to be bonded to a company as an apprentice to learn technology instead of going for military training. Plus they don't need to go back for ICT. Why not Mindef make it optional for people to go back for ICT and IPPT? I know of people who love to go back for ICT because they get to skip work. Myself, I would rather contribute in the best possible way I can, that is with my knowledge instead. That's where my talent is.
    Last edited by lsisaxon; 4th March 2007 at 04:03 AM.

Talk to garment people can vomit blood. China nuts, very hard to crack
    Quote Originally Posted by lsisaxon View Post
    Aiyah.. no choice lah.. EDB give money to all these companies to set up business here to hire foreigners mah... Better to be a foreign talent here than a citizen!! Better prospects!! So what if no progress package? So what if housing is more expensive? Housing allowance will be paid for by companies anyway.

Going for ICT and RT is disruptive enough! Especially when we are working globally, our customers are in US, Taiwan, China. Do they care whether we need to do NS liabilities? They don't!! They just want the job done. Is it fair to get colleagues to help us when we need to go for ICT? I don't think so. We have our own projects to handle and the problem set is different for everyone, so they may not be able to handle the situation if any complicated problems arise.

I would feel that only by shortening the NS and ICT duration or totally abolishing it would put Singaporeans back in contention with the rest of the growing ecomony. Is the govt even listening? The foreigners will think that we are just idiots to give them our money to operate here. Does it create more jobs for Singaporeans? Definitely wot with that kind of attitude those foreign talents show. Is it worth it? Is it fair to Singaporeans?

Let me cite my recent encounter. I just completed my RT not long ago, but during the last week of the phase 2 RT, I needed to go to Taiwan to support one of our customers, so I called up my unit to ask if I could be excused for 2 sessions because there wasn't enough sessions to do a make-up anymore. The unit told me I have to get my company to write a letter and then they can help me book RT all over again! SIAO!!! I only had to more sessions to go and have to go through the whole RT phase 2 again?!?!? Absurd!!! In the end, the company assigned a (Malaysian) colleague to go on my behalf. I'm sure my boss, the customer and my colleague wasn't very happy with this arrangement but no choice because if I need to go through RT all over again, I would be leaving the company earlier twice each week for 4 weeks. They could not afford to do that. And I need to go back for ICT next week, even though reluctant, they have to let me go. Even though reluctant, I have to go back. I think as Singaporean, I feel VERY disadvantaged compared to my foreign colleagues.

In Taiwan, there's this option to be bonded to a company as an apprentice to learn technology instead of going for military training. Plus they don't need to go back for ICT. Why not Mindef make it optional for people to go back for ICT and IPPT? I know of people who love to go back for ICT because they get to skip work. Myself, I would rather contribute in the best possible way I can, that is with my knowledge instead. That's where my talent is.
    Last edited by Sniper ShutterBug; 4th March 2007 at 07:44 AM.

RT gives me the chance to exercise from my busy work schedule and its good indicator/reminder of our health/fitness which we often neglect after we join the busy work force. Who is going to defend our nation if we are a bunch of weak and dangerously out of shape soldiers?

from my experience , my boss was a reservist and RT man, so therefore he understands.. in fact we shared ideas how to keng and siam... he go Yishun for RT.. i go Maju.

however, if your boss is a foreigner.. u need to pray for luck liao.

i guess local bosses r pretty understanding of nsmen commitments due to the fact that they themselves r either nsmen or ex nsmen, while foreign bosses some didn't even understand the reason behing NS, oh let the foreign bosses experience wut is "kena charge" & "DB" then only i guess they might be more accomdating. haha..
    Last edited by AQVA; 4th March 2007 at 12:44 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by AQVA View Post
    i guess local bosses r pretty understanding of nsmen commitments due to the fact that they themselves r either nsmen or ex nsmen, while foreign bosses some didn't even understand the reason behing NS, oh let the foreign bosses experience wut is "kena charge" & "DB" then only i guess they might be more accomdating. haha..
    we cant force the world to accomodate us. in the end, we are just trapped here.

Quote Originally Posted by satay16 View Post
    we cant force the world to accomodate us. in the end, we are just trapped here.
    the very act of increasing CPF contributions is to tell the world to accomdate us.

Quote Originally Posted by AQVA View Post
    u better explained " DB " carefully to them. Once u told them it is a prison, they thought u got a criminal record.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12