Page 6 of 14 FirstFirst ... 4567811 ... LastLast

Thread: doctor son throws cleaner mom out of the house

Deregistered

Default Re: doctor son throws cleaner mom out of the house

Quote Originally Posted by djork View Post
    Cool man, i remember i quite like social studies in primary school...
    its a very fun subject...really enjjoying it...its a course that not many people will enjoy it...

Quote Originally Posted by westwest1 View Post
    thats my principles...

if i want to be a social worker...i better get my facts right...
    Obviously you didn't understand my question. Nevermind.
    Last edited by Tetrode; 19th February 2007 at 10:36 PM.

The story reads like one from a soap tv serial. Shows a dark, heartless, souless creature of a doctor whose mother slogged day and night to get him thru' medical school. Once he has obtained his medical degree and got married, turns on his mother, ill treats her, and got her out of the house. She was a cleaner and they had wanted her to stop her job.

I have these questions:

1. How sure are we that the reason that they want her to stop work is so that she will not embarrass them? They may have genuinely wanted her to stop work because of her interest at heart - to enjoy life for the remaining part of her life. However, mum may have other plans. She can't stand staying at home and would rather go to work.

2. How sure are we that the things this mother is saying is the correct interpretation of things that are happening. I have seen some mother-in-laws who treat their daughter-in-law very, very badly despite everything this poor d-i-l is trying to please her. She buys her a present and m-i-l says it is so expensive, why waste money and if she does not buy anything, she says that her d-i-l has forgotten. Sigh, sure to lose type. How?

Before, I go on, maybe I should just declare myself - Yes, I am a doctor. My mum has passed on but my m-i-l used to work as a cleaner/chamber-maid. I am most proud of her. Being a employee in the hotel, she was able to get a special deal at the restaurant. So, on her birthday, we all booked a table at the restaurant for dinner. She introduced us to the people she knew there and they were so happy to see us and we were so proud she is our mother!

Whatever has happened, I can see lots of compassionate ppl in CS and that is good. Fighting for the correct cause. What I hope to see is us examining ourselves to see if we have recently in any way be less caring or rude to our parents, which I am the first to confess that I have committed this crime from time to time. So...

Let the person who thinks that he/she has no sin be the first to cast the stone!

Quote Originally Posted by bowwow View Post
    the wife is a senior human resource manager... i pity the staff in that company as well.
    Maybe she is practising what she has learned from human resources texts?

An old cleaner isn't exactly a valued human resource. Right?

I think the son is useless. He throws his mom out of the house because his wife dislike her. No backbone, useless, not a man. I think he is a wimp.

Quote Originally Posted by eng_keow View Post
    The story reads like one from a soap tv serial. Shows a dark, heartless, souless creature of a doctor whose mother slogged day and night to get him thru' medical school. Once he has obtained his medical degree and got married, turns on his mother, ill treats her, and got her out of the house. She was a cleaner and they had wanted her to stop her job.

I have these questions:

1. How sure are we that the reason that they want her to stop work is so that she will not embarrass them? They may have genuinely wanted her to stop work because of her interest at heart - to enjoy life for the remaining part of her life. However, mum may have other plans. She can't stand staying at home and would rather go to work.
    So what is wrong with the mum wanting to work? Why stop her if she wishes to continue? Why not respect her decision? Isn't rather harsh of him to throw her out of the house - which was hers to begin with? He could have bought one of his own and let her live alone in hers if he wanted to punish her for not acceding to his request.

2. How sure are we that the things this mother is saying is the correct interpretation of things that are happening. I have seen some mother-in-laws who treat their daughter-in-law very, very badly despite everything this poor d-i-l is trying to please her. She buys her a present and m-i-l says it is so expensive, why waste money and if she does not buy anything, she says that her d-i-l has forgotten. Sigh, sure to lose type. How?!
    I've experienced that myself with between my mother and my wife. I tell my mum to stop it but I do not throw her out on the street or will not even if she doesn't stop. There are less harsh measures that can be taken.

Before, I go on, maybe I should just declare myself - Yes, I am a doctor. My mum has passed on but my m-i-l used to work as a cleaner/chamber-maid. I am most proud of her. Being a employee in the hotel, she was able to get a special deal at the restaurant. So, on her birthday, we all booked a table at the restaurant for dinner. She introduced us to the people she knew there and they were so happy to see us and we were so proud she is our mother!!
    Good on and for you. You are a filial son - you are not like the one reported in the article.

Whatever has happened, I can see lots of compassionate ppl in CS and that is good. Fighting for the correct cause. What I hope to see is us examining ourselves to see if we have recently in any way be less caring or rude to our parents, which I am the first to confess that I have committed this crime from time to time. So...

Let the person who thinks that he/she has no sin be the first to cast the stone!
    It doesn't mean that we cannot express our indignation at what we have just read. We have the same right to express our opinions on this matter as you have.

Otherwise, we would be as guilty as the perpetrator if we kept mum.(no pun intended)
    Last edited by Tetrode; 19th February 2007 at 10:54 PM.

What would the new born son of the doc do; when he has grown up & discover just what his father had done?! I Remember a fable story while i was a child....abt a parents wanting to pack their "old woman" in a large basket & forsake her in the wilderness mountain... the grandchild look on & said to his parents :"remember to bring back the basket." The father was puzzled..."why?" He asked... "So that I can carry u there when u are old."
    .................................................. .................................................. .....

Hope both doc & his wife read this story b4...

Quote Originally Posted by Sion View Post
    Maybe she is practising what she has learned from human resources texts?

An old cleaner isn't exactly a valued human resource. Right?
    point!

but i do appreciate all my aunties and cleaning staff that used to work for me.
    --- the only constant is evolution and change ---
    --- the only solution is adaptation ---

karma. nuff said.

Quote Originally Posted by Tetrode View Post
    So what is wrong with the mum wanting to work? Why stop her if she wishes to continue? Why not respect her decision? Isn't rather harsh of him to throw her out of the house - which was hers to begin with? He could have bought one of his own and let her live alone in hers if he wanted to punish her for not acceding to his request.
    Agreed. Respecting our parents and obeying them is a very important tenet of life. Agreed. Should try to get another accomodation for her if she does not want to stay with them. Just by the way, This GP is earning good money - 200k a year. Not many earn that much. In fact, the rentals are now so high and overheads too that quite a bit of what is earned is ploughed back into rentals or mortgage repayments. I know of some GPs who stay in the room just above the clinic because they have got no money to get another apartment. They have to work very hard as well. 3 session a day, seven days a week. Some even have a door bell so that patients can see them in the nights. Not much of a life left, I guess, if one works like that.

I've experienced that myself with my own mother and my wife. I tell my mum to stop it but I do not throw her out on the street or will not even if she doesn't stop. There are less harsh measures that can be taken.
    Good on you to be able to control all such situations. Each family is different and each have their own problems.

Good on and for you. You are a filial son - you are not like the one reported in the article.
    Thank you for your compliment!

It doesn't mean that we cannot express our indignation at what we have just read. We have the same right to express our opinions on this matter as you have.

Otherwise, we would be as guilty as the perpetrator if we kept mum.
    Sure, all of us here are simply upset by the actions of a person whose profession in yester-years is much respected. All of us have value systems and principles based on what we believe and have been brought up. These set the standard as to how we evaluate and give opinion to actions and things that are happening. What I am trying to say is that we should look at the actions and berate it, slam it and fry it. Why curse the person and slam him and his family when we do not know the truth, whole truth and nothing but the truth!

Maybe it my own naive principle that I also teach to my children, so this is purely my own opinion and you may not agree with it at all and it is alright with me:

Judge not as you will be judged!

I do not judge but I evaluate and decide what to do based the principles that I know.
    Last edited by eng_keow; 19th February 2007 at 11:20 PM.

The stereotype in me would picture the doc's wife as someone pretty and seductive perhaps. He listens to her cos he likes her body and she likes his doc status and $ he earns. The couple are successful in their careers. They (Or more like his wife) don't like some of his mother's habits at home (not just her working as a cleaner).

Doctor so what. He is also a human culpable of acts deemed inhumane by society. Sad to read such cases though.

Is this the sign of highly educated people in Singapore now.
    What is there to be afraid of losing face when his mother is a cleaner, she may just want to pass her time by doing a job.
    The doctor wife, a senior human resource manager, I disregard her as a human being.
    I wonder how she manage the staff in her company, maybe any staff once they reach their retirement age, they will be told by her to leave immediately.
    These people are just too concern about their status.
    Wicked, wicked, wicked son and daughter-in-law.

for some reason i'm now just extremely angry after reading the report.
    if i ever find out who he and his wife are... if i ever... ARGH!

so *****ing pissed off at them right now!

Quote Originally Posted by maxmax View Post
    Is this the sign of highly educated people in Singapore now.
    It's time education teaches people to be a better human being.

Quote Originally Posted by bowwow View Post

too often i've met so-called professionals who put themselves on such a high horse that they don't realise that they make themselves look like an ass.

my variant
    too often there are professionals who put themselves on a high horse that they don't realise that's an ass.

Quote Originally Posted by Sion View Post
    It's time education teaches people to be a better human being.
    problem is, the only graduation criteria we have for PSLE, O levels, A levels, Diploma, Degree etc are measured in marks and GPA.

there isnt a moral benchmark.

When my gran died last year, my cousin and her husband both doctors didnt even see her, just stood outside and chit chat, smiling and laughing even at her funeral. and my sis and her doc friends, ridiculed dying patients as prawns because when they die, some curl up into a foetal position.

To quote Gil Grissom from CSI(fictional), only first half is relevant

a moral compass can only point u in the right direction, cant make u go there.
    our culture preaches that you shldnt be ashamed of anything u do anymore.

and unfortunately, this city is built on the principle that there's no such thing as guilt.

Deregistered

Quote Originally Posted by Murcielago View Post
    my variant
    too often there are professionals who put themselves on a high horse that they don't realise that's an ass.
    he is up there...and you are down there...and he looks at cause u are an a**

We live in a society that the powerful will jump onto the weak...you beg to differ???

Quote Originally Posted by westwest1 View Post
    he is up there...and you are down there...and he looks at cause u are an a**

We live in a society that the powerful will jump onto the weak...you beg to differ???
    correction: too often there are professionals who put themselves on a high horse that they don't realise they're an ass.

meaning, by their actions at the top, they dont realise they're an ass.

Quote Originally Posted by leyo04 View Post
    karma. nuff said.
    Please say more...

Is this the karma of the mother?

The son and daughter-in-law will get their retribution, either in this life or next ones.

Page 6 of 14 FirstFirst ... 4567811 ... LastLast