Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Help! I think i made an impulse purchase!

Blog Entries

Default Re: Help! I think i made an impulse purchase!

good grief. if the tokina 12-24 is the most expensive lens u have so far... u have much to learn abt the ways of the Force...

whenever my frens ask me how much i spent on photography, i always tell them i stop counting after the first swipe of my card a nong nong time ago...

a WA lens like the tokina is a joy to use, but a PITA to master. go try it... and pls dun tell me singapore got nothing to shoot. u can try to return to a same spot in singapore year after year to shoot, and u still won't get 2 same pics. the late Mr. Yip Cheong-Fun was known to return to the same spot on the overhead bridge at chinatown year after year b4 he passed away, to shoot the same scene. in his own way, he documented the changes of singapore fm dat one spot.

700+ expensive meh?

Quote Originally Posted by jOhO View Post
    700+ expensive meh?

alamak joho...he's an NSF lah...pay ard 400++ now... unlike you lah...so pro and have income through your skills as a photographer

Quote Originally Posted by ahsosl1e8 View Post
    Just got a tokina 12-24mm from a fellow cser, and i'm now suffering from guilt. It's the most expensive lens i've bought to date, and i dunno if it's really worth it. The reason why i bought it: I wanted to take those cool wide pics like the old birds here.

The problem is that i dun make money from photos, and 700+ is a lot of money for a NSF. Singapore hardly has really nice scenery that warrants an ultra-wide, and i dun travel often. I tried snapshots of my family and found that most of the faces were quite distorted. How? I felt that i've bought an expensive lens that may not be used often.

Maybe i just haven't got used to the perspective. Maybe i need to learn how to use the lens. Maybe i just need to get the lens out and shoot more often. Pls convince me that i've made the right choice guys!
    Can only say ultra-wide != only scenery. it gives a creative perspective as well since human eyes can't goes so wide.

I would advice you to try it out before deciding again to sell or keep it.

Quote Originally Posted by jOhO View Post
    700+ expensive meh?
    the guy nsf, poor guy mah. anyway, it happened to me to before, after purchasing the $1500 lens (80-200mm), i had the same feeling, but after using it for months, it was definitely worth it. so don't worry, as long as you did not borrow money from the ah long to purchase the lens, just enjoy it.

Quote Originally Posted by ExplorerZ View Post
    Can only say ultra-wide != only scenery.
    no lah, events also can use ... big group portraits also mah, and some 'non-conventional' portraiture ... quite fun for candids also

Quote Originally Posted by eikin View Post
    no lah, events also can use ... big group portraits also mah, and some 'non-conventional' portraiture ... quite fun for candids also
    thats why i say != (not equal)

thats why i say != (not equal)
    got this kind of sign one meh? aiyoh ... all the internet language make me headache

use it since the money is spent and sell if u find keeping it in dry box more than you use it after sometime...

BUY, SELL, BUY, N SELL... It's an cycle until you found what is the right equipment for you lor...

got this kind of sign one meh? aiyoh ... all the internet language make me headache
    Got, the other version (which I use, and is less net-geekyish *wink ExploreZ) will be =/=. Hee hee.

Quote Originally Posted by ahsosl1e8 View Post
    Just got a tokina 12-24mm from a fellow cser, and i'm now suffering from guilt. It's the most expensive lens i've bought to date, and i dunno if it's really worth it. The reason why i bought it: I wanted to take those cool wide pics like the old birds here.

The problem is that i dun make money from photos, and 700+ is a lot of money for a NSF. Singapore hardly has really nice scenery that warrants an ultra-wide, and i dun travel often. I tried snapshots of my family and found that most of the faces were quite distorted. How? I felt that i've bought an expensive lens that may not be used often.

Maybe i just haven't got used to the perspective. Maybe i need to learn how to use the lens. Maybe i just need to get the lens out and shoot more often. Pls convince me that i've made the right choice guys!
    1. be very frugal for the next couple of months, you will feel less guilty spending that $700.
    2. read up more about how to shoot extreme WA, then go and practice more.

lol...tats programming lang....
    Buying a DSLR/SLR doesn't make you a photographer. It makes you a DSLR/SLR owner
    My Site

haha dreamerz have said it... those who have done java/.net... etc should know.

haha dreamerz have said it... those who have done java/.net... etc should know.
    no i haven't ... ... what's that? somewhere in Indonesia?

From my experiment of impulse purchase, you don't really lost much if you sell it away(must take care of the equipment thou).

That's a nice lens you have purchase. Bought mine for nearly a month, not even use it once for an outing shot yet, just some test shoot at home but will sure find a chance to really test the beauty this lens can create.

Since you in NS, surely your Ang Pao can cover some $ back.

no i haven't ... ... what's that? somewhere in Indonesia?
    lol....dun act blur hor....
    Buying a DSLR/SLR doesn't make you a photographer. It makes you a DSLR/SLR owner
    My Site

Quote Originally Posted by soma View Post
    From my experiment of impulse purchase, you don't really lost much if you sell it away(must take care of the equipment thou).

That's a nice lens you have purchase. Bought mine for nearly a month, not even use it once for an outing shot yet, just some test shoot at home but will sure find a chance to really test the beauty this lens can create.

Since you in NS, surely your Ang Pao can cover some $ back.
    lol...soma ve u drop ur tokina...
    My Site

Quote Originally Posted by dreamerz View Post
    lol....dun act blur hor....
    me no geeky geek, no understand cao kwan programming lingo

me no geeky geek, no understand cao kwan programming lingo
    haha....then go learn...
    My Site

Quote Originally Posted by dreamerz View Post
    lol...soma ve u drop ur tokina...
    nb..

(first nb since CNY)

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast