Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: nikon d70s low light problem

Member/Tangshooter

Default Re: nikon d70s low light problem

i think the ISO for D70s is inconsistent..comparing with a D200.. more towards the underexpose side..

e.g ISO400, 1/60 f/5.6 on a D200..u will need IS0640, 1/60 f/5.6 on a D70s..
    This is an electronic post which requires no signature.

From the pics you've posted I don't really see anything wrong with your D70S.
    I'm using one myself, and that's normal for the D70S to "underexpose" by a bit to preserve details in the highlights.
    You just need to learn more about metering to get well-exposed pics straight out of your camera without relying too much on PS.

As for D70S's AWB, it's really inconsistent.

Quote Originally Posted by metallilan View Post
    Try pushing your EV up. +0.3 or +0.7.
    Yo, yup, have already tried to push EV to +0.7 or +1.5 sometimes. Same.

Quote Originally Posted by wazzup View Post
    Get the Canon, then you don't need to worry liao
    Yo wazzup,

You're very pro canon man. Haha. In the near future la, dream cam. d70s is just an entry level cam i know but wanna see how much i can do with it before jumping in completely to canon or nikon.

from experiences,

PROS of nikon for me are crisp images and exellent fill flash & ttl with the SB- series of flashes. CONS are hard to achieve shallow depth of field cos of its not a full frame sensor like canon 5d onwards. And from the Nikon D70s, the AWB seem to be very off. not consistent.

PROS of canon 5d series onwards are the full frame sensor, no 1.5 crop factor. Easier to achieve shallow depth of field. Softer images. CONS are inconsistent ettl. Fill flash inconsistent.

True? or False?

Quote Originally Posted by fndjufri View Post
    From the pics you've posted I don't really see anything wrong with your D70S.
    I'm using one myself, and that's normal for the D70S to "underexpose" by a bit to preserve details in the highlights.
    You just need to learn more about metering to get well-exposed pics straight out of your camera without relying too much on PS.

As for D70S's AWB, it's really inconsistent.
    Yo fndjufr,

I use matrix metering & shoot on manual all the time. But quite frustrated with outcome.

Deregistered

Quote Originally Posted by jnet6 View Post
    As for auto WB, *almost everyone know D70/s WB got to take control by using cloudy -1, to get generally warm effect.
    huh...nv know that...

Deregistered

Quote Originally Posted by retwonet View Post
    Yo wazzup,

You're very pro canon man. Haha. In the near future la, dream cam. d70s is just an entry level cam i know but wanna see how much i can do with it before jumping in completely to canon or nikon.

from experiences,

PROS of nikon for me are crisp images and exellent fill flash & ttl with the SB- series of flashes. CONS are hard to achieve shallow depth of field cos of its not a full frame sensor like canon 5d onwards. And from the Nikon D70s, the AWB seem to be very off. not consistent.

PROS of canon 5d series onwards are the full frame sensor, no 1.5 crop factor. Easier to achieve shallow depth of field. Softer images. CONS are inconsistent ettl. Fill flash inconsistent.

True? or False?
    tell me more...all these sound very new to me...

i suggust you go get the canon better...since you are just using an entry level system...

Quote Originally Posted by westwest1 View Post
    huh...nv know that...
    Do check out early release of D70 FAQ/threads.... and other early reviews when D70 came out.

Hi yall,

i guess wat im trying to describe is at the same ISO, f/stop & shutter settings, the nikon d70s is greatly under-exposed as compared to a sony A-100. im sure different models has their strength & weakness. But the difference is too great. Even the auto WB on d70s is super off.

Compare the both.

Sony A-100:
    http://www.geocities.com/retwonet/sony.jpg

Nikon D70s:
    http://www.geocities.com/retwonet/nikon.jpg

Both were taken at auto WB, ISO 400, f5, 1/20 but show great difference.

Is something wrong with my d70s???

Any takers?
    Is one very much more underexposed than the other? I don't think so. The difference I see is just a different colour cast, probably due to different AWB algorithm, and a difference in the contrast of the images due to the different in-camera processing. When you judge exposure, you have to compare the grey tones.
    Last edited by lsisaxon; 19th February 2007 at 11:12 PM.

Account Suspended

Yo wazzup,

from experiences,

True? or False?
    Don't have to get the 1D MKII, I think the 400D will give you what you want already, just do it lor

Hi yall,

i guess wat im trying to describe is at the same ISO, f/stop & shutter settings, the nikon d70s is greatly under-exposed as compared to a sony A-100. im sure different models has their strength & weakness. But the difference is too great. Even the auto WB on d70s is super off.

Compare the both.

Sony A-100:

Nikon D70s:

Any takers?
    I think A100 is slightly more sensitive compared to D70.

This seems to be consistent with the DPReview's review that A100 is "a third more sensitive than indicated (ISO 100 is more like ISO 125)".
    http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/sonydslra100/page20.asp

Nikon's DSLRs tends to be more "accurate" in the ISO sensitivity.

I think the AWB of both camera is off, albiet the A100 looks more appealing. They are just different from each other.

BC
    Last edited by Scaglietti; 19th February 2007 at 11:32 PM.

Just curious,

how shallow a DOF you want? Is shallow DOF a pro? I consider it a con actually.... For most practical purposes I think the 1.5 sensor can achieve a shallow DOF EASILY.

True? or False?

Hi yall,

Compare the both.

Sony A-100:

Nikon D70s:

Any takers?
    seems like too much magenta in Sony A-100 and too much green in D70s. i would say the WB for Sony in this case is super off too. i think it's more a problem of you learning the limitations and potentials of the camera you have before deciding whether to change. but as said, if you don't like the system, you should change. because once you develop a dislike for the system, you'll only see faults in the system rather than work around the limitations.

any users of nikon D70s or nikon system in general? any problems with low light photography? ive realised that it is virtually impossible to shoot a d70s without flash without pushing ISO to 1000 & above.
    Hi yall,

Compare the both.

Sony A-100:

Nikon D70s:

Any takers?
    there issn't much difference in exposure in these 2 pics to me.
    As far as im concerned, its just difference in WB.
    and the WB in both pics are off, not just the nikon.

nothing wrong with shooting low light photography with flash or pushing to ISO 1000. there is no problem with the camera.

if u dun even understand the basics, give u hasselblad also no use.
    Photo Album - Photo Album

Edited the d70s image with a layer of color filter to get as close color cast as the a100 image. not 100% accurate tho.

a100

d70s

Quote Originally Posted by ExplorerZ View Post
    Edited the d70s image with a layer of color filter to get as close color cast as the a100 image. not 100% accurate tho.

a100

d70s
    as Explorerz has proved, there issnt much difference in exposure after changing the WB.
    the diff in exposure is probably becos ISO 400 on A100 is equivalent to ISO 500, which is 1/3 stop longer exposure than the d70.

rest assured there issnt anything wrong with ur camera
    Photo Album - Photo Album

Interesting insight from Cs-ers,

All test images shot under tungsten lighting btw. With regards to A100 extra sensitivity to ISO, as long as its not too much noise, i feel its relatively ok.

That said, every cam has its quirks & i cant help but notice also the nikon d70s tend to produce images that are slightly "washed out" or "less contrasty", very diluted, therefore need me to correct in PS, saturation level etc. I am already shooting on custom settings, under vivid.

Am interested to know if im missing something here. Are the other models of nikons the same (poor AWB, lower sensitivity to low light & "washed out" pics), users of D200, D2Xs or D2h etc care to speak out?

I read from dpreview forums that the lower end of Nikons like the D40s & D50s respond better in low light conditions as well, much better than the D70s.

Once again, THANKS!

All test images shot under tungsten lighting btw. With regards to A100 extra sensitivity to ISO, as long as its not too much noise, i feel its relatively ok.

That said, every cam has its quirks & i cant help but notice also the nikon d70s tend to produce images that are slightly "washed out" or "less contrasty", very diluted, therefore need me to correct in PS, saturation level etc. I am already shooting on custom settings, under vivid.

Am interested to know if im missing something here. Are the other models of nikons the same (poor AWB, lower sensitivity to low light & "washed out" pics), users of D200, D2Xs or D2h etc care to speak out?

I read from dpreview forums that the lower end of Nikons like the D40s & D50s respond better in low light conditions as well, much better than the D70s.

Once again, THANKS!
    frankly speaking a frd did mentioned that d40 jpeg is the best among the lot...i cn't cfm since i dun have the nikon system..u probably can try it out yrself
    头可断,血可流,倩女不可不追求 carpe diem,when in doubt, hoot first,apologise later:p GALLERY

Once again, THANKS!
    I think the issue was mentioned before many years back when the D70 was introduced. Try reading this thread for more info: http://forums.clubsnap.org/showthread.php?t=97260

My second hand D70 hasn't give me much problems since I've bought it. Aside from the inconsistent white balance, which takes a little while to get used to if you experiment enough to make the adjustments on camera.

Else there's little to complain. The camera was developed for its time, and comparing it with a newer camera with newer technology is sometimes alittle unfair. Cameras were built to supercede its predecessors. In my opinion that is. I don't really bother about looking at test results from reviews and all...

My 2 cents.

Once again, THANKS!
    lower sensitivity? no, i don think so... its the other brand that are above the standard. As far as what DPreview have been saying, Nikon ISO100 is exactly ISO100, no ISO125 or etc. as for AWB, i think the higher end are more accurate, but definitely not accurate enough in tungsten lighting, which all cameras fail to do so as well. As for d70/s in low light, it is no doubt not as good as the newer cam like d200, d50, d40... thats because d70 is a 3yrs+ old camera. Just like 300d ain't as good as 350d in term of noise control.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast