Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Aircraft Spotting

Default Re: Aircraft Spotting

A word of caution when taking ur pics coz u might be approached by the Police.

Quote Originally Posted by Mavvy View Post
    Don't stop/park along Changi Coastal Road. The POLICE will 'shoo' you away...
    i parked there b4...within 5 min got police come liaoz...they will ask wat u doing then ask u to leave...
    Canon 400D, 60D & 6D | Canon 10-22 & 24-105 L & 100-400 L | 580EX II

The post-911 world is a sad one with no place for photographers.

If you wish to shoot, do it openly. Doing it sneakily will only seem more suspicious to the authorities. Be friendly and non-confrontational when approached by the police. Hey, they have a job to do too. In fact, I even showed pictures to them before. No problems, they just told me to quickly clear away and not loiter for too long.

A goes a long way...

To phase in the meteorological conditions may help abit...

Singapore experiences 2 Monsoon periods in a year - NE (Dec to Early March) & SW (June to Sep) Monsoon.

Thus, for the NE Monsoon period, winds come predominantly from the NORTH, and blows to the SOUTH. SO landing from the South (photo-taking at Changi Coast Road for landing), and taking off towards the North (Changi Beach for taking off) is preferred.

The opposite is true for SW Monsoon period. So Just swap the landing/ taking off photo-shoot locations.

As for the in-between months, are what is known as "Inter-Monsoon" periods - and 1 can expect the winds to swing from North to South afew times in a day, so you can't really optimise your trips (if you ONLY want to take landing/ take-offs for the day).

If you go within the Monsoon periods, you can generally be assured - by the winds, that you can take ALL the take-offs/ landings for that 1 trip.

And BEST time to shoot is between 0800H - 1130H or 1400H - 1830H - Changi's peak period.

Hope it helps...

Cheers,

P.S. Happy Shooting... Dun ask me how I know. I happen to be in an industry that has the privellage to know these info 1st hand...

Unhappy Re: Aircraft Spotting

Quote Originally Posted by philliptan View Post
    Generally, they only swap directions twice a year... Of cuz on an ad-hoc basis they might swap it for a while, but that would be the exception, not the rule. Currently, aircraft are landing from the south (aka Changi Business Park best place to shoot landings)... sometime in March/April (I forgot... Damien/Tango, pls confirm), they will land from the north (shoot from Changi Beach... beach in front of Carpark 2 best)...

Please note that while aircraft spotting is not illegal, it is frown upon (somehow). So be a bit discreet. Dun spoil it all for the local spotting community by demanding your rights if approached. Esp if you are shooting along Changi Coastal Road next to the fence. Live to fight another day.

For more information on aircraft spotting and special liveries visiting, go to www.ninervictor.com
    well... just checked out the site but require admin approval before acceptance...

anyway, more on aircraft spotting... i used to practice spotting but have since stopped due to the increased security around... esp after the 911 and the news of ISA... anyone remember the news of the guy who was just taking some photos near a US army living place some years back... i don't want my door to be knocked in the middle of the night...

and the area referred previously of changi village near the temple, the road once ran very deep into and running parallel with the airport and it sure is a very fantastic place for spotting... btw, that place used to lead straight up to CAB... where you can see all the fockers...

Quote Originally Posted by Yatlapball View Post
    The post-911 world is a sad one with no place for photographers.

If you wish to shoot, do it openly. Doing it sneakily will only seem more suspicious to the authorities. Be friendly and non-confrontational when approached by the police. Hey, they have a job to do too. In fact, I even showed pictures to them before. No problems, they just told me to quickly clear away and not loiter for too long.

A goes a long way...
    well... yap... the world is a changed place after 911...

Is a zoom lens of up to 200mm enough for photos from the breakwater side (near Ubin ferry pier) or is more needed?

thanks!

Now they have built a cycle track along the whole stretch of Changi Coastal Road. Maybe cycling to the spots parallel to the runway is a better option than parking your car along there. At least moving slower and can observe good spots. As for the terminal viewing galleries, all the good locations facing the runways are no longer accessible (T1) or badly distorted by an additional outer glass at T2. Can forget about shooting within the comfort of the aircon terminal unless you buy a ticket for a plane ride.
    Last edited by cairocks; 31st October 2007 at 03:07 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by tshep View Post
    Is a zoom lens of up to 200mm enough for photos from the breakwater side (near Ubin ferry pier) or is more needed?

thanks!
    well... won't really recommend that place though...

Quote Originally Posted by cairocks View Post
    Now they have built a cycle track along the whole stretch of Changi Coastal Road. Maybe cycling to the spots parallel to the runway is a better option than parking your car along there. At least moving slower and can observe good spots. As for the terminal viewing galleries, all the good locations facing the runways are no longer accessible (T1) or badly distorted by an additional outer glass at T2. Can forget about shooting within the comfort of the aircon terminal unless you buy a ticket for a plane ride.
    yap, the new cycling path is a very good alternative... found some other good spots too... esp with the a380 along...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12