Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 30

Thread: Aircraft Spotting

  1. #1

    Default Aircraft Spotting

    Hi all,

    I could do with some advice here. Do y'all know where is the best place for aircraft spotting around changi airport? I would wish to take photos of aircraft landing and taking off. Is the viewing deck in Changi airport go enough to take photos?

    Happy New Year to all clubsnappers!

    Cheers,
    daryl

  2. #2
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    卧龙岗
    Posts
    2,736

    Default Re: Aircraft Spotting

    there used to be 1 road near changi village that has a perfect view for what you want to do until that piece of land was acquired by the govt for other usage..

  3. #3

    Default Re: Aircraft Spotting

    It is technically possible to take photos of aircraft taking off from the T1 viewing mall if you have at least a 400mm lens hehe. But I guess you would end up with pretty bad distortion due to the distance & the glass barrier. In the past, it is possible to get decent pictures of aircraft landing or taking off at the viewing mall, until CAAS closed off the section (where Swensens used to be) in Mar 2006. It is now an Emirates lounge which is off limits to the public.

    For aircraft approaching to land you can try your luck near Expo MRT in the afternoon up till Mar/Apr, then the wind & runway direction would change so you might want to consider Changi Beach instead.

    Hope it helps

  4. #4
    Deregistered
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Tampines
    Posts
    211

    Default Re: Aircraft Spotting

    Changi Business Park. Big open space there.
    But can take airplane landing photo only.Not suitable to shoot taking-off photo as the planes will be too high up over the place.
    Best time in evening due to sun light direction.
    Please note that they always swap the take-off/landing direction depending on the wind direction.

  5. #5

    Default Re: Aircraft Spotting

    Quote Originally Posted by FilterFunk View Post
    there used to be 1 road near changi village that has a perfect view for what you want to do until that piece of land was acquired by the govt for other usage..
    there's a temple near the road entance, m not sure the availability of teh area now but that's the nearest to get close the airplanr take off/landing...

  6. #6
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Location
    Tampines
    Posts
    3,287

    Default Re: Aircraft Spotting

    Changi Coast Road will be the best. It is parallel to the runway. You can shoot take off and landing depending on where you are.

  7. #7
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    卧龙岗
    Posts
    2,736

    Default Re: Aircraft Spotting

    Quote Originally Posted by drewdam View Post
    there's a temple near the road entance, m not sure the availability of teh area now but that's the nearest to get close the airplanr take off/landing...
    the angle there is very bad...

    Quote Originally Posted by jbma View Post
    Changi Coast Road will be the best. It is parallel to the runway. You can shoot take off and landing depending on where you are.
    that location is alright but i am not so sure about stopping by the side of the road and taking pictures over there..

  8. #8

    Default Re: Aircraft Spotting

    thx for all the information guys! will reccee the places out when i'm free! keep the comments coming so everybody here will have a clearer idea on where to spot aircrafts k! (:

  9. #9

    Default Re: Aircraft Spotting

    Changi Coastal has a few pit stops along the road.
    Turn in and park there, not advisable to park on the main road.

  10. #10
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    Tampines
    Posts
    8,167

    Default Re: Aircraft Spotting

    Quote Originally Posted by FilterFunk View Post
    there used to be 1 road near changi village that has a perfect view for what you want to do until that piece of land was acquired by the govt for other usage..
    Quote Originally Posted by drewdam View Post
    there's a temple near the road entance, m not sure the availability of teh area now but that's the nearest to get close the airplanr take off/landing...
    That road was acquired by Changi Air Base.
    That road will lead to a good spot last time..

  11. #11

    Default Re: Aircraft Spotting

    This morning around 630 to 800 I was at Changi Beach near the Carpark 1 area; couldn't go to other carparks because some inconsiderate idiot block the whole path with his car.

    Anyways, the area SUCKS for sunset/sunrise, fyi, but er, I reckon I saw about 4 aircrafts taking off overhead during this period.

  12. #12
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    Tampines
    Posts
    8,167

    Default Re: Aircraft Spotting

    Quote Originally Posted by night86mare View Post
    This morning around 630 to 800 I was at Changi Beach near the Carpark 1 area; couldn't go to other carparks because some inconsiderate idiot block the whole path with his car.

    Anyways, the area SUCKS for sunset/sunrise, fyi, but er, I reckon I saw about 4 aircrafts taking off overhead during this period.
    If wanna capture Sunrise, will be the beach around Carpark 6 instead..
    or at Changi broad walk..

  13. #13

    Default Re: Aircraft Spotting

    U could try East Coast Park, near the SAF Yacht Club there. there s one area where u can see planes land.

  14. #14

    Default Re: Aircraft Spotting

    Quote Originally Posted by donchua View Post
    If wanna capture Sunrise, will be the beach around Carpark 6 instead..
    or at Changi broad walk..
    I knowwwww. It's beyond.. Carpark 1 right,
    Some coconut 90 degree parking to the path.. Cannot ask my driver (my dad,hahaha) to just ram right.. =(

  15. #15
    Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    Outta This World
    Posts
    64

    Default Re: Aircraft Spotting

    Don't stop/park along Changi Coastal Road. The POLICE will 'shoo' you away...

  16. #16
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    Tampines
    Posts
    8,167

    Default Re: Aircraft Spotting

    Quote Originally Posted by night86mare View Post
    I knowwwww. It's beyond.. Carpark 1 right,
    Some coconut 90 degree parking to the path.. Cannot ask my driver (my dad,hahaha) to just ram right.. =(
    I think you got it wrong..
    Carpark 6 is further down to the left of the SAF Ferry Terminal..Just out side the
    Cargo Complex Check Point.
    Accessable via Nicoll Drive leh & not carpark 1..

  17. #17

    Default Re: Aircraft Spotting

    Quote Originally Posted by donchua View Post
    I think you got it wrong..
    Carpark 6 is further down to the left of the SAF Ferry Terminal..Just out side the
    Cargo Complex Check Point.
    Accessable via Nicoll Drive leh & not carpark 1..
    Oops.

    Ok, I know where SAF Ferry Terminal is..

    Next time then! Thanks for the help.

  18. #18
    Senior Member creampuff's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Dover
    Posts
    5,116

    Default Re: Aircraft Spotting

    There is now a new second fence erected along the airport perimeter along Changi Coastal Road presumably to increase security. Makes it even more difficult to photograph the planes.

  19. #19

    Default Re: Aircraft Spotting

    Good spot is road towards Tanah Merah Ferry terminal. There's a path next to canal that leads towards southern beach area.

  20. #20

    Default Re: Aircraft Spotting

    Quote Originally Posted by andylausk View Post
    Please note that they always swap the take-off/landing direction depending on the wind direction.
    Generally, they only swap directions twice a year... Of cuz on an ad-hoc basis they might swap it for a while, but that would be the exception, not the rule. Currently, aircraft are landing from the south (aka Changi Business Park best place to shoot landings)... sometime in March/April (I forgot... Damien/Tango, pls confirm), they will land from the north (shoot from Changi Beach... beach in front of Carpark 2 best)...

    Please note that while aircraft spotting is not illegal, it is frown upon (somehow). So be a bit discreet. Dun spoil it all for the local spotting community by demanding your rights if approached. Esp if you are shooting along Changi Coastal Road next to the fence. Live to fight another day.

    For more information on aircraft spotting and special liveries visiting, go to www.ninervictor.com
    Last edited by philliptan; 22nd February 2007 at 05:52 PM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •