Thread: what's on the other side

Default what's on the other side

can't think of a suitable title. pic was taken 2 yrs ago on colorado river running through glen canyon. was resting after lunch, looked up and saw the sun peeking over the canyon walls. didn't do much touch-up except for curves and colour balance. pls give ur C&Cs, thanks!

Default Re: what's on the other side

I love the details in the rock face!

The sun rays streaking down on the right side perfectly juxtaposes the texture of the canyon wall; gives some kind of symmetry to the photo.

Just a minor gripe about the flare in the middle and the washed out sky... but I guess that was not really avoidable...

Lovely shot!

agreed with huanmin's critique. for the washout sky, u either need a GND or - if u doing digital photography - then u can shoot in RAW and do differential exposure processing later on, amongst other things.

Use of HDR Technique will be more effective in this case. Controlling the sky and rock exposures. Something like the below picture:

IMHO, sky is blown out. Composition, very nice.

The other technique that you might want to look into is the use of Zone system and Gradual ND filters.
    Last edited by whoswho; 16th February 2007 at 12:56 PM.

thanks guys, appreciate your comments! must agree that the sky is blow-out
    this was taken with my first digicam - Nikon5600. no RAW no nothing, and I didn't have enough knowledge of photography at that time to capture a good shot.

erm, 1 question though:
    wat is GND and how does it work?? does it work with any digital cam or is it better in manual mode?

sorrie, am sooo new to all these....

the lens flare is a little bit distracting, but i liked the composition