Thread: insure your equipments during your tour?

Default insure your equipments during your tour?

Hi...anyone insure your equipments(camera..lens,etc) for your tour? Do you think its safe to bring your expensive things to your destination?

Default Re: insure your equipments during your tour?

I'm guessing by tour you mean travelling...in which case, whilst it may not be "safe", why else would you own nice camera gear if not to take photos while you travel?

Travelling in Europe at the moment, I bought a Sony DSC-P100 and a Nikon F80 + f/1.4 50mm Nikkor with me, which easily fall under the $3000 single item limit for a camera "system" that my travel insurance imposes on me.

It all depends where you're traveling to, and what you percieve as the "risk" to your gear. Currently in the far north of Sweden, my main concern is the relentless sub zero temperatures, which only affect things temporarily (Batteries have been holding up fine + the MB-16 grip with the slide out battery compartment makes it very, very easy to remove batteries to keep warm and then quickly put back in without fiddling around).

Cameras might be attractive targets for theft, but you're never going to get good pictures if you leave it in your bag all the time. Just exercise a little bit of caution and common sense as to when the best times might be to leave your camera out of sight and it'll be fine.

Personally, I think travelling light with a single lense is the best option, as I reason the easiest time for someone to rip you off is if you're sitting there fiddling around with swapping lenses with an open camera bag, maybe with a 2nd body, flash, lenses etc sitting in there. Obviously depends on what you're shooting and where you're going as to what you take.

Default Re: insure your equipments during your tour?

Quote Originally Posted by Marneus View Post
    I'm guessing by tour you mean travelling...in which case, whilst it may not be "safe", why else would you own nice camera gear if not to take photos while you travel?

Travelling in Europe at the moment, I bought a Sony DSC-P100 and a Nikon F80 + f/1.4 50mm Nikkor with me, which easily fall under the $3000 single item limit for a camera "system" that my travel insurance imposes on me.

It all depends where you're traveling to, and what you percieve as the "risk" to your gear. Currently in the far north of Sweden, my main concern is the relentless sub zero temperatures, which only affect things temporarily (Batteries have been holding up fine + the MB-16 grip with the slide out battery compartment makes it very, very easy to remove batteries to keep warm and then quickly put back in without fiddling around).

Cameras might be attractive targets for theft, but you're never going to get good pictures if you leave it in your bag all the time. Just exercise a little bit of caution and common sense as to when the best times might be to leave your camera out of sight and it'll be fine.

Personally, I think travelling light with a single lense is the best option, as I reason the easiest time for someone to rip you off is if you're sitting there fiddling around with swapping lenses with an open camera bag, maybe with a 2nd body, flash, lenses etc sitting in there. Obviously depends on what you're shooting and where you're going as to what you take.
    Agree with you...travel light and to travel in group of atleast 2 will be good.