Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: New to DSLRs: Pls advise

Default Re: New to DSLRs: Pls advise

Quote Originally Posted by nikonrus View Post
    But then the H series isn't a P&S camera now isit? When I said other nonsense camera I was refering more to their (obsolete) Mavica(?) range not prosumer or DSLR.
    you already said its obsolete... why look at the past? look at the current and future!
    and imho a100 ain't that bad, but I always prefer a Nikon. < ok bias here

Quote Originally Posted by nikonrus View Post
    But then the H series isn't a P&S camera now isit? When I said other nonsense camera I was refering more to their (obsolete) Mavica(?) range not prosumer or DSLR.

And if you had my earlier post, I said
    "I might be biase to say this, but I will never consider Sony for a DSLR."
    which meant it was a personal view and you felt I was attacking you on a personal level (how I got from there to here I have no idea.)
    0.o

H series is compact P&S mar. Er, I never said you were attacking me personally, just that Sony has its excellent cams. Not so sure about A100 or what, but yeah I guess you know what I mean. As for most P&S, in terms of comparison to DSLR or prosumer most of them are quite rubbishy =D. Relax!

dunno if i shld ride on this thread but here goes anyway. i'm thinking of investing in a dslr system. but do i need a one?

i currently use a fz5, a wcon08 and an emoblitz flash.

why i want a dslr:

• better low-light performance - higher ISOs available, faster lenses available
    • convenience of a wide-angle zoom lens - easily zoom from wide-angle focal range to normal range (subjected to lens used)
    • shallower depth of field - compact cameras tend to have greater dof, though you can minimize it by certain methods
    • overall better image quality - self-explanatory
    • operating speed - self explanatory
    • TTL flash - i'm not too good measuring exposure with my emoblitz as a slave

what i would like from a dslr system:

• good image quality (duh) and low-light performance
    • good ergonomics and build - lightweight, solid, comfortable grip, sufficient buttons/dials, menu structure (how easily settings are adjusted etc.)
    • wide range of lenses available - i am not too sure how far i'll dwell into photography, but i would like the body to be usable with as many lenses as possible as i do not know which lenses i would get in future
    • in-body stabilisation - slightly more than a need than a nice to have, but this is essential for people on a budget like myself
    • dust reduction - reduce the need to clean the sensor; nice to have
    • live view - definitely a nice to have; aids in macro shots and shots you do from weird angles

===

cameras i have in mind, and what i like and do not like abt each of them:

(note: IQ wise, i base my opinion on review websites like dpreview; physical wise, i have handled most of them in shops and stuff, but never had the chance to go shoot with all but the 350d)

canon 350d
    • good size, but cramps my hand up (got a chance to shoot with it), ok build, lightweight
    • good IQ, good low-light performance
    • good selection of lenses

canon 400d
    • good size, ok build, lightweight - dunno if it'll cramp my hand up like the 350d

nikon d40
    • good size, good build, feels just like my fz5
    • poor selection of lenses - only AF-S (i'll probably get a tamron 17-55 f2.8); if not for this, the d40 would be my choice

nikon d80
    • slightly large, great build, slightly heavy
    • i almost settled on this one till i got a chance to hold it - kinda bulky

olympus e330
    • from looks - never handled this one: large, good build, slightly heavy?
    • good IQ, mediocre low-light performance - noisy?
    • dark/small viewfinder, relatively slow response
    • average selection of lenses?
    • has dust reduction and live view

olympus e400
    • from looks - never handled this one, probably difficult to get as it is only available in the UK: small, good build, lightweight
    • has dust reduction

olympus e410
    • same as above but with live view - but has olympus improved upon low-light performance with this model?

olympus e500
    • good size, ok build, lightweight
    • has dust reduction

olympus e510
    • same as above but with live view- but has olympus improved upon low-light performance with this model?
    • has dust reduction, in-body stabilisation, AND live view

panasonic l1
    • awesome design, mediocre size, ok build, slightly heavy; why did they make it so big...
    • dunno abt IQ, but it's a panasonic - noisy?
    • poor selection of lenses
    • pricey but you get a nice lens

i'm obviously intrigued by the slew of features olympus has to offer, but it's not entirely what i want; from as far as I know, IQ wise - low-light performance, and the range of lenses available.

i want smth like the build of a nikon, the imaging capabilities of a nikon/canon, and the features of an olympus. and the design of a panasonic (kidding - it would be nice though ). or is it just a dream?

my needs/wants are also seemingly (and are) from a p&s user's viewpoint, but am i overlooking some of them? perhaps placing too much weight on the need for smth i probably wouldn't? could the kind lao jiaos enlighten me please?

thanks in advance, for any input(s) is greatly appreciated and will go into which system to get, or even whether i need one.

was thinking of the panasonic lc1 as it has a great summicron f2.0-2.4 lens which shld be good for low-light (though with a noisy panasonic sensor), which also starts from a wide angle of 28mm (though it may not be wide enough for my liking), and for it being a p&s it has live view and the need for dust reduction isn't there.

any ideas anyone? thanks again for listening.

Why did your hands get cramp on the canon 350d? Did you have a chance to try it with the battery grip?

Quote Originally Posted by schon View Post
    dunno if i shld ride on this thread but here goes anyway. i'm thinking of investing in a dslr system. but do i need a one?

i currently use a fz5, a wcon08 and an emoblitz flash.

why i want a dslr:

• better low-light performance - higher ISOs available, faster lenses available
    • convenience of a wide-angle zoom lens - easily zoom from wide-angle focal range to normal range (subjected to lens used)
    • shallower depth of field - compact cameras tend to have greater dof, though you can minimize it by certain methods
    • overall better image quality - self-explanatory
    • operating speed - self explanatory
    • TTL flash - i'm not too good measuring exposure with my emoblitz as a slave

what i would like from a dslr system:

• good image quality (duh) and low-light performance
    • good ergonomics and build - lightweight, solid, comfortable grip, sufficient buttons/dials, menu structure (how easily settings are adjusted etc.)
    • wide range of lenses available - i am not too sure how far i'll dwell into photography, but i would like the body to be usable with as many lenses as possible as i do not know which lenses i would get in future
    • in-body stabilisation - slightly more than a need than a nice to have, but this is essential for people on a budget like myself
    • dust reduction - reduce the need to clean the sensor; nice to have
    • live view - definitely a nice to have; aids in macro shots and shots you do from weird angles

===

cameras i have in mind, and what i like and do not like abt each of them:

(note: IQ wise, i base my opinion on review websites like dpreview; physical wise, i have handled most of them in shops and stuff, but never had the chance to go shoot with all but the 350d)

canon 350d
    • good size, but cramps my hand up (got a chance to shoot with it), ok build, lightweight

canon 400d
    • good size, ok build, lightweight - dunno if it'll cramp my hand up like the 350d

nikon d40
    • good size, good build, feels just like my fz5
    • poor selection of lenses - only AF-S (i'll probably get a tamron 17-55 f2.8); if not for this, the d40 would be my choice

nikon d80
    • slightly large, great build, slightly heavy
    • i almost settled on this one till i got a chance to hold it - kinda bulky

olympus e330
    • from looks - never handled this one: large, good build, slightly heavy?
    • dark/small viewfinder, relatively slow response

olympus e400
    • from looks - never handled this one, probably difficult to get as it is only available in the UK: small, good build, lightweight
    • has dust reduction

olympus e410
    • same as above but with live view - but has olympus improved upon low-light performance with this model?

olympus e500
    • good size, ok build, lightweight
    • has dust reduction

olympus e510
    • same as above but with live view- but has olympus improved upon low-light performance with this model?
    • has dust reduction, in-body stabilisation, AND live view

panasonic l1
    • awesome design, mediocre size, ok build, slightly heavy; why did they make it so big...
    • dunno abt IQ, but it's a panasonic - noisy?
    • poor selection of lenses
    • pricey but you get a nice lens

i'm obviously intrigued by the slew of features olympus has to offer, but it's not entirely what i want; from as far as I know, IQ wise - low-light performance, and the range of lenses available.

i want smth like the build of a nikon, the imaging capabilities of a nikon/canon, and the features of an olympus. and the design of a panasonic (kidding - it would be nice though ). or is it just a dream?

my needs/wants are also seemingly (and are) from a p&s user's viewpoint, but am i overlooking some of them? perhaps placing too much weight on the need for smth i probably wouldn't? could the kind lao jiaos enlighten me please?

thanks in advance, for any input(s) is greatly appreciated and will go into which system to get, or even whether i need one.

was thinking of the panasonic lc1 as it has a great summicron f2.0-2.4 lens which shld be good for low-light (though with a noisy panasonic sensor), which also starts from a wide angle of 28mm (though it may not be wide enough for my liking), and for it being a p&s it has live view and the need for dust reduction isn't there.

any ideas anyone? thanks again for listening.
    i recommend to choosing between canon n nikon.. both have very good quality slr plus wide range n high quality lens to choose from.. buying slr also have to consider your budget and wad u plan to shoot.. do give yourself some time to consider before investing in one.. hehe..

I have owned DSLRs from many brands, KM, nikon, Olympus, fujifilm, one thing I noticed from the low light performance is that if you don't mind getting neat-image, olympus actually has pretty competitive high ISO performance.

Quote Originally Posted by cantaresg View Post
    Why did your hands get cramp on the canon 350d? Did you have a chance to try it with the battery grip?
    nope never had the chance. but would like to.

Quote Originally Posted by xunjas View Post
    i recommend to choosing between canon n nikon.. both have very good quality slr plus wide range n high quality lens to choose from.. buying slr also have to consider your budget and wad u plan to shoot.. do give yourself some time to consider before investing in one.. hehe..
    i shoot mainly inanimate objects though i would like to shoot more of the human kind. i do not have any particular type/style of photography i do on a frequent basis, but 90% of my shots are in available light.

and yup, i've been considering for some time now.

Quote Originally Posted by wind30 View Post
    I have owned DSLRs from many brands, KM, nikon, Olympus, fujifilm, one thing I noticed from the low light performance is that if you don't mind getting neat-image, olympus actually has pretty competitive high ISO performance.
    thanks for your input. the e510 beckons... but 2x crop factor leh.

nope never had the chance. but would like to.

i shoot mainly inanimate objects though i would like to shoot more of the human kind. i do not have any particular type/style of photography i do on a frequent basis, but 90% of my shots are in available light.

and yup, i've been considering for some time now.

thanks for your input. the e510 beckons... but 2x crop factor leh.
    another recommendation would b either nikon D50 or canon 400D... 400D is more pricy than D50.. D50 is pretty low in pricing for you to begin as well..

how about pentax, more notably the K10D and K100D?

seems to have a good feature set but image quality lacks according to dpreview.

Those who wants to venture into the world of SLR might want to check out this book to learn more about SLR camera.
    The book include some contents for 35mm film SLR but most of the techniques are applicable to DSLR also.

The book is available from the library.
    Title : 35mm Photography - The Complete Guide.(Hardcover)
    Author : Steve Bavister
    Call Number : English q771.32 BAV -[ART]

You can get them from the following libraries :
    Bukit Batok Community Library
    Bedok Community Library
    Bukit Merah Community Library
    Choa Chu Kang Community Library
    Central Lending Library
    Cheng San Community Library
    Jurong Regional Library
    Marine Parade Community Library
    library@orchard
    Pasir Ris Community Library
    Sembawang Community Library
    Toa Payoh Community Library

Quote Originally Posted by bartman View Post
    Those who wants to venture into the world of SLR might want to check out this book to learn more about SLR camera.
    The book include some contents for 35mm film SLR but most of the techniques are applicable to DSLR also.

The book is available from the library.
    Title : 35mm Photography - The Complete Guide.(Hardcover)
    Author : Steve Bavister
    Call Number : English q771.32 BAV -[ART]

You can get them from the following libraries :
    Bukit Batok Community Library
    Bedok Community Library
    Bukit Merah Community Library
    Choa Chu Kang Community Library
    Central Lending Library
    Cheng San Community Library
    Jurong Regional Library
    Marine Parade Community Library
    library@orchard
    Pasir Ris Community Library
    Sembawang Community Library
    Toa Payoh Community Library
    thanks for the heads-up. yup the library is a great place to go for resources on photography and cameras.

i've kinda narrowed down my choices to this - either the D80 or the K10D.

thanks for the heads-up. yup the library is a great place to go for resources on photography and cameras.

i've kinda narrowed down my choices to this - either the D80 or the K10D.
    take nikon then.. better picture quality..

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234