Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: New to DSLRs: Pls advise

Default Re: New to DSLRs: Pls advise

Quote Originally Posted by oracle00 View Post
    hi guys, i am a newbie and is also thinking of getting a DSLR... i guess i am more into taking photographs of sceneries etc.... a bit undecided on which one to buy but the models i am looking at is Nikon D80, Canon 40D and the Sony A100... i am leaning towards the Nikon D80, but is hesitating as it does not have the functions of anti-dust and anti-shake which the other 2 model have.... any advice?
    If you ask me, if you're taking scenery primarily, you don't need anti-shake, since you -would- be using a tripod most of the time, honestly. Most photos would be taken at the wide end also, so that scores another point against the need for anti-shake.

=D

Quote Originally Posted by night86mare View Post
    If you ask me, if you're taking scenery primarily, you don't need anti-shake, since you -would- be using a tripod most of the time, honestly. Most photos would be taken at the wide end also, so that scores another point against the need for anti-shake.

=D
    what abt the anti-dust feature then? do u often have problems with dust?

the thing with tripod is that it is rather inconvenient at times... thats the reason why i thought the anti-shake function would come in handy... esp when u are travelling on a group tour and are always being rushed here and there so you dont really always have the luxury of setting up your tripod...

what do you think?

EDIT:
    went to your homepage.... you have wonderful photos there!!
    Last edited by oracle00; 10th March 2007 at 10:32 PM.

Arrow Re: New to DSLRs: Pls advise

hi guys, i am a newbie and is also thinking of getting a DSLR... i guess i am more into taking photographs of sceneries etc.... a bit undecided on which one to buy but the models i am looking at is Nikon D80, Canon 40D and the Sony A100... i am leaning towards the Nikon D80, but is hesitating as it does not have the functions of anti-dust and anti-shake which the other 2 model have.... any advice?
    D80 good choice
    D800|24~120mm VR|AF VR 80~400mm ED |SB900|50mm F1.8|CD 2X2|FL-360|FastPack 350/Sony RX100M3

what abt the anti-dust feature then? do u often have problems with dust?

the thing with tripod is that it is rather inconvenient at times... thats the reason why i thought the anti-shake function would come in handy... esp when u are travelling on a group tour and are always being rushed here and there so you dont really always have the luxury of setting up your tripod...

what do you think?

EDIT:
    went to your homepage.... you have wonderful photos there!!
    I have no DSLR, only using a H2. =D

But I've been reading up to make sure I know what I'm stepping into. So no, H2 has no problems with dust. Because it's a fixed lens prosumer. =D

Believe you me, when you want sharp scenery photos, tripod is no hassle at all. Unless you're going into some extreme weather thing, for scenery I recommend the one I got, Slik Sprint 3-way. Very light. About 1 kg only. I don't know, if I go photoshooting overseas I'd try to avoid group tours, the priority will be different, unless you're not going to be doing it seriously, then yeah, tripod no issue I guess.

In a sense, during the day, unless you are doing IR (without mod camera) or cave shots, you shouldn't need to worry about tripod or handshake honestly, for scenery. If you plan to do at night also, then another story altogether I guess, but I know little about night photography, only some basics.

For travelling, I guess you might consider a monopod then. But then again, like I mentioned before, chances are you won't need either, most of the time. I do a lot of IR, so I need the tripod. Just sharing my experience la, haha.

I have no DSLR, only using a H2. =D

But I've been reading up to make sure I know what I'm stepping into. So no, H2 has no problems with dust. Because it's a fixed lens prosumer. =D

Believe you me, when you want sharp scenery photos, tripod is no hassle at all. Unless you're going into some extreme weather thing, for scenery I recommend the one I got, Slik Sprint 3-way. Very light. About 1 kg only. I don't know, if I go photoshooting overseas I'd try to avoid group tours, the priority will be different, unless you're not going to be doing it seriously, then yeah, tripod no issue I guess.

In a sense, during the day, unless you are doing IR (without mod camera) or cave shots, you shouldn't need to worry about tripod or handshake honestly, for scenery. If you plan to do at night also, then another story altogether I guess, but I know little about night photography, only some basics.

For travelling, I guess you might consider a monopod then. But then again, like I mentioned before, chances are you won't need either, most of the time. I do a lot of IR, so I need the tripod. Just sharing my experience la, haha.
    i am moving from a Point-and-Shoot camera directly to a DSLR.... I did thought of getting a prosumer camera but then i thought those also cost abt 1k... so thought of jumping straight into DSLR to save some money... frankly not sure whether it would end up biting me instead

when are u going to upgrade to a DSLR? and for u, which would u choose?

and dude, u really have some amazing photos there...

Quote Originally Posted by AxeLa View Post
    D80 good choice
    but what abt the anti-dust feature? wouldn't it come in useful? and is it difficult to clean up the dust? and how often do you have to do it? any idea? thanks!

i am moving from a Point-and-Shoot camera directly to a DSLR.... I did thought of getting a prosumer camera but then i thought those also cost abt 1k... so thought of jumping straight into DSLR to save some money... frankly not sure whether it would end up biting me instead

when are u going to upgrade to a DSLR? and for u, which would u choose?

and dude, u really have some amazing photos there...
    My main concern will be cost.

Prosumer not really 1K, H2 new can get for 600 thereabouts, I got mine second hand for $500 or $550 or something, can't remember. Thread's still somewhere in the forums though. If you take scenery should get Fujifilm 6500fd though, got wider angle 28mm.

If you have the money, why not? Just make sure you know what it's all about, so that you make full use of the money you've spent I guess.

I'm still debating, initially the plan was to just hang on to my H2 for one more year until I've saved up enough to whack some lenses together with DSLR, but if I get now, it would be Pentax K100D, mainly because of the value-for-money issue. Also considering getting second-hand Canon 350D or 400D, hrm. The reviews on it seem rather ok for my purposes also. Trouble is, I'm also interested in portraiture, but right now have my hands full with landscape as it is. So for me, the IS -might- come in handy.

Thanks! I think there's still a lot of room for improvement though. =)

I will think that when you get a dslr, the cost will be more than 1k easily, unless you don't think of any upgrades for lenses, flashes etc. In either case, you will probably get a tripod.

My main concern will be cost.

Prosumer not really 1K, H2 new can get for 600 thereabouts, I got mine second hand for $500 or $550 or something, can't remember. Thread's still somewhere in the forums though. If you take scenery should get Fujifilm 6500fd though, got wider angle 28mm.

If you have the money, why not? Just make sure you know what it's all about, so that you make full use of the money you've spent I guess.

I'm still debating, initially the plan was to just hang on to my H2 for one more year until I've saved up enough to whack some lenses together with DSLR, but if I get now, it would be Pentax K100D, mainly because of the value-for-money issue. Also considering getting second-hand Canon 350D or 400D, hrm. The reviews on it seem rather ok for my purposes also. Trouble is, I'm also interested in portraiture, but right now have my hands full with landscape as it is. So for me, the IS -might- come in handy.

Thanks! I think there's still a lot of room for improvement though. =)
    thanks for your pointers... i think i will continue to do a bit more research and not rush into buying it during the IT fair.... to a certain extent, i am a bit less concerned with the anti-shake as that can be compensated by buying lenses that have that function (although it is a costly way of circumventing it)... however as at this point, as i dont think i really need a whole lot of different lenses, i suppose i can consider investing in such a lens that i would be using often...

Quote Originally Posted by cantaresg View Post
    I will think that when you get a dslr, the cost will be more than 1k easily, unless you don't think of any upgrades for lenses, flashes etc. In either case, you will probably get a tripod.
    true, but at least i am saving a bit from not buying a prosumer camera and then later upgrading to a DSLR (or so i hope to believe )

straight away answer... all of the 3 models are more than capable to do the job, the rest is up to you to choose... unless you can find 1 thing that will make you unable to take scenery, then i take back my words

thanks for your pointers... i think i will continue to do a bit more research and not rush into buying it during the IT fair.... to a certain extent, i am a bit less concerned with the anti-shake as that can be compensated by buying lenses that have that function (although it is a costly way of circumventing it)... however as at this point, as i dont think i really need a whole lot of different lenses, i suppose i can consider investing in such a lens that i would be using often...
    Don't buy during IT fair, most of the deals not worth. =D

Lenses with IS are damn expensive, hehe. Yeah, you won't need a lot of lenses, I guess everyone has their area of focus, so just delve into that, and not.. As I read somewhere, "try to shoot anything that moves, and everything that doesn't as well". =D

Quote Originally Posted by ExplorerZ View Post
    straight away answer... all of the 3 models are more than capable to do the job, the rest is up to you to choose... unless you can find 1 thing that will make you unable to take scenery, then i take back my words
    thanks for the comment... yup, i know that all 3 models are more than capable to do their job... qn is not which one is better... rather qn is does the anti-shake and anti-dust feature in Canon and Sony something i would regret not choosing, should i go nikon D80... paiseh if i wasn't really that clear in my qn..

thanks for the comment... yup, i know that all 3 models are more than capable to do their job... qn is not which one is better... rather qn is does the anti-shake and anti-dust feature in Canon and Sony something i would regret not choosing, should i go nikon D80... paiseh if i wasn't really that clear in my qn..
    like i say, its up to you to really choose, some can live with neither the "anti", but some are dying for them... For me, i don mind having both, but if they are not there i don really care that much as well.
    and also btw, the anti-dust feature in both system ain't truely effective from what i heard...
    another tip is to also look at the lens range you might get into, so choose the system that might give you the most advantage when it comes to lenses, accessories... etc.

Quote Originally Posted by ExplorerZ View Post
    like i say, its up to you to really choose, some can live with neither the "anti", but some are dying for them... For me, i don mind having both, but if they are not there i don really care that much as well.
    and also btw, the anti-dust feature in both system ain't truely effective from what i heard...
    another tip is to also look at the lens range you might get into, so choose the system that might give you the most advantage when it comes to lenses, accessories... etc.
    ic ic.... i would go check out how effective the anti-dust is... thanks for your advice!

guys, for those who are thinking of choosing between Sony A100, Nikon D80 and Canon 400D, here's a website that compares the 3 cameras for your consideration:

http://www.digitalreview.ca/cams/A100vsD80vsXTi.shtml

guys, for those who are thinking of choosing between Sony A100, Nikon D80 and Canon 400D, here's a website that compares the 3 cameras for your consideration:

http://www.digitalreview.ca/cams/A100vsD80vsXTi.shtml
    I might be biase to say this, but I will never consider Sony for a DSLR. They may be a sensor manufacturer for a number of dslrs, but that's where their strength ends. All their P&S and other nonsense cameras are good only for low end consumer use. You know the term - bluff 3 yr olds only.

Quote Originally Posted by nikonrus View Post
    I might be biase to say this, but I will never consider Sony for a DSLR. They may be a sensor manufacturer for a number of dslrs, but that's where their strength ends. All their P&S and other nonsense cameras are good only for low end consumer use. You know the term - bluff 3 yr olds only.
    their memory sticks are so ex.. plus too exclusive liao.. only sony products use sony sticks n no other sticks allowed.. hehe..

Quote Originally Posted by nikonrus View Post
    I honestly detest that.

You need to see the number of H series images that can whack a lot of other brands.

It is the photographer, not the camera, and if you ask me, Sony has its strengths and weaknesses, same with other brands.

I honestly detest that.

You need to see the number of H series images that can whack a lot of other brands.

It is the photographer, not the camera, and if you ask me, Sony has its strengths and weaknesses, same with other brands.
    But then the H series isn't a P&S camera now isit? When I said other nonsense camera I was refering more to their (obsolete) Mavica(?) range not prosumer or DSLR.

And if you had my earlier post, I said
    "I might be biase to say this, but I will never consider Sony for a DSLR."
    which meant it was a personal view and you felt I was attacking you on a personal level (how I got from there to here I have no idea.)
    Last edited by nikonrus; 11th March 2007 at 11:02 AM.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast