Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Results 21 to 40 of 72

Thread: New to DSLRs: Pls advise

  1. #21
    Senior Member xunjas's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Singapura
    Posts
    6,490

    Default Re: New to DSLRs: Pls advise

    Quote Originally Posted by wind30 View Post
    one way is to check out the B&S forum for second hand bodies. If you do your homework, you can pick up a used body for very cheap. And can sell it of without a loss if you don't like the feel of it.
    1 point to note.. you have to test the equipment properly.. best is find how to operate the equipment via internet.. these 2nd hand usually dun have warranty.. it be quite a hassle if u face such problems..

  2. #22
    Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Singapore, Singapore
    Posts
    56

    Default Re: New to DSLRs: Pls advise

    ok, if i'm serious about going into DSLRs, and say, I like the feel of a particular camera when trying it out at the shops, should i get it 1st hand to avoid such hassles of operating possibly-faulty 2nd hand equipment?

  3. #23
    Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Singapore, Singapore
    Posts
    56

    Talking Re: New to DSLRs: Pls advise

    oh, and I live in Sembawang. I read a post in this newbie corner that there's a gathering of photographers in the east. Any such congregation in the North?

  4. #24

    Default Re: New to DSLRs: Pls advise

    Quote Originally Posted by shane25 View Post
    ok, if i'm serious about going into DSLRs, and say, I like the feel of a particular camera when trying it out at the shops, should i get it 1st hand to avoid such hassles of operating possibly-faulty 2nd hand equipment?
    some 2nd hand sets also got warranty. The point is if you buy a less than 1 year old DSLRs, if you don't like it, you can sell it back on the forum without much loss, provided you did your homework during the purchase. There is always another buyer lor. The most lose a bit of money, much less than what you will lose if buy brand new.

    if got problem, just send it in for servicing. Just remember to get original receipt and warranty card during the transaction.

  5. #25
    Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Tampines
    Posts
    347

    Default Re: New to DSLRs: Pls advise

    Quote Originally Posted by shane25 View Post
    ok, if i'm serious about going into DSLRs, and say, I like the feel of a particular camera when trying it out at the shops, should i get it 1st hand to avoid such hassles of operating possibly-faulty 2nd hand equipment?
    hey! i was in your position too!
    i was contemplating between getting a new dSLR and a 2nd hand one (because of budget constraints)

    I'd say if you have the money (and you are not really bothered abt spending money on a new dSLR), just get a new one. And if you are on a tight budget, just keep on hanging around in the buy/sell forum and wait for a good deal to come by!

    I was worried abt the camera conditions and stuff like that too. That's why I pounced on the chance of the model camera that I liked which still had warranty. On top of that, the super nice seller threw in additional accessories to the buy too! haha..

  6. #26
    Senior Member xunjas's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Singapura
    Posts
    6,490

    Default Re: New to DSLRs: Pls advise

    Quote Originally Posted by mfbatzap View Post
    hey! i was in your position too!
    i was contemplating between getting a new dSLR and a 2nd hand one (because of budget constraints)

    I'd say if you have the money (and you are not really bothered abt spending money on a new dSLR), just get a new one. And if you are on a tight budget, just keep on hanging around in the buy/sell forum and wait for a good deal to come by!

    I was worried abt the camera conditions and stuff like that too. That's why I pounced on the chance of the model camera that I liked which still had warranty. On top of that, the super nice seller threw in additional accessories to the buy too! haha..
    tt's very nice of the seller to do that for u...

  7. #27
    Senior Member xunjas's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Singapura
    Posts
    6,490

    Default Re: New to DSLRs: Pls advise

    Quote Originally Posted by shane25 View Post
    ok, if i'm serious about going into DSLRs, and say, I like the feel of a particular camera when trying it out at the shops, should i get it 1st hand to avoid such hassles of operating possibly-faulty 2nd hand equipment?
    most impt is that u must try out the 2nd hand equipment to ensure that is fully servicecable before buying.. no point getting a slr which has warranty n faulty.. it is a chore to send in the equipment for servicing and waiting for it.. it be a waste of time, money n effort..

  8. #28
    Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Singapore, Singapore
    Posts
    56

    Default Re: New to DSLRs: Pls advise

    thanks for all the advice.
    so, as i was asking, any photog groups up north?
    i was thinking i can join some photog club or something to learn more stuff.
    i think Yishun Safra has one such club? but need to pay membership fees i think?

  9. #29
    Senior Member xunjas's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Singapura
    Posts
    6,490

    Default Re: New to DSLRs: Pls advise

    Quote Originally Posted by shane25 View Post
    thanks for all the advice.
    so, as i was asking, any photog groups up north?
    i was thinking i can join some photog club or something to learn more stuff.
    i think Yishun Safra has one such club? but need to pay membership fees i think?
    look for the canongraphers.com if u r getting a canon SLR.. if u want to pick up photography courses.. there are courses conducted by SLCC..

  10. #30
    Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Singapore, Singapore
    Posts
    56

    Default Re: New to DSLRs: Pls advise

    Quote Originally Posted by xunjas View Post
    look for the canongraphers.com if u r getting a canon SLR.. if u want to pick up photography courses.. there are courses conducted by SLCC..
    only canon?
    how about nikon?
    just for info, which brand is the biggest in the s'pore photog scene?
    and courses wise, i was recommended this "substation" over at cityhall.
    any idea if it's any good?

  11. #31
    Senior Member xunjas's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Singapura
    Posts
    6,490

    Default Re: New to DSLRs: Pls advise

    Quote Originally Posted by shane25 View Post
    only canon?
    how about nikon?
    just for info, which brand is the biggest in the s'pore photog scene?
    and courses wise, i was recommended this "substation" over at cityhall.
    any idea if it's any good?
    i not sure on that~~ hehe.. the star wars scene should be quite big in SG.. jedi vs darth vadar SLRs.. hehe..

    Courses - try Singapore Photography Society or SLCC.. there are threads available in CS.com..

    You can also join other hobbists @ CS.com for meetup as well..

  12. #32

    Default Re: New to DSLRs: Pls advise

    I live in YCK in case you want to test the Sony cams...

  13. #33
    Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Singapore, Singapore
    Posts
    56

    Question Re: New to DSLRs: Pls advise

    http://www.nikon.com.sg/pages/sg/art...1/itshow07.jpg

    That's the link for Nikon's promotion this IT show '07.
    Are the deals good?
    Alternatively, I have a friend who offered to bring me down to John 3:16 where he said i can get a good deal.

    I read up a bit on DSLRs. Mostly, they tell me that camera bodies aren't that critical. I should, instead, choose and stick to a brand of lenses. Those lenses would be like an investment since even after the body goes faulty, i still have those lenses which can fit onto a new body.
    That said, should I get something like the D40 since it's supposed to be great for beginners to pick up on DSLR photography?
    Or should I spend more and get the D80, or Canon 400D?
    The IT show promotion includes a 50MM with the D200, which I'll need for portrait shots which I plan to do, right?

    Please offer me some advice, and maybe I'll drop by Suntec on Sunday to look around.

  14. #34
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    West Legion
    Posts
    7,751

    Default Re: New to DSLRs: Pls advise

    almost all the 3 are pretty good... thats is if you need those freebie... else get from john3:16 or some other places

  15. #35

    Default Re: New to DSLRs: Pls advise

    Quote Originally Posted by shane25 View Post
    I read up a bit on DSLRs. Mostly, they tell me that camera bodies aren't that critical. I should, instead, choose and stick to a brand of lenses. Those lenses would be like an investment since even after the body goes faulty, i still have those lenses which can fit onto a new body.
    That said, should I get something like the D40 since it's supposed to be great for beginners to pick up on DSLR photography?
    Or should I spend more and get the D80, or Canon 400D?
    The IT show promotion includes a 50MM with the D200, which I'll need for portrait shots which I plan to do, right?
    Correct. Lenses are KING. =D

    And incidentally, more expensive than most camera bodies that consumers would usually use. =(

  16. #36

    Default Re: New to DSLRs: Pls advise

    I think it's very conservative figure if I say most people have 1 camera : 3 lens type of ratio. Of course there are a few people who have more than 1 camera, so ......

  17. #37
    Senior Member xunjas's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Singapura
    Posts
    6,490

    Default Re: New to DSLRs: Pls advise

    Quote Originally Posted by shane25 View Post
    http://www.nikon.com.sg/pages/sg/art...1/itshow07.jpg

    That's the link for Nikon's promotion this IT show '07.
    Are the deals good?
    Alternatively, I have a friend who offered to bring me down to John 3:16 where he said i can get a good deal.

    I read up a bit on DSLRs. Mostly, they tell me that camera bodies aren't that critical. I should, instead, choose and stick to a brand of lenses. Those lenses would be like an investment since even after the body goes faulty, i still have those lenses which can fit onto a new body.
    That said, should I get something like the D40 since it's supposed to be great for beginners to pick up on DSLR photography?
    Or should I spend more and get the D80, or Canon 400D?
    The IT show promotion includes a 50MM with the D200, which I'll need for portrait shots which I plan to do, right?

    Please offer me some advice, and maybe I'll drop by Suntec on Sunday to look around.
    you can check out the deals by canon n nikon.. some of the deals are pretty attractive.. purchase with purchase items can be useful such as nikon d200 - 99SGD for manfrotto tripod. canon purchase with purchase lens is not so good.. cos they are only mid range price zoom.. the freebies are so much for both brands.. hehe..

  18. #38
    Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Singapore, Singapore
    Posts
    56

    Default Re: New to DSLRs: Pls advise

    Quote Originally Posted by xunjas View Post
    you can check out the deals by canon n nikon.. some of the deals are pretty attractive.. purchase with purchase items can be useful such as nikon d200 - 99SGD for manfrotto tripod. canon purchase with purchase lens is not so good.. cos they are only mid range price zoom.. the freebies are so much for both brands.. hehe..
    do they slash the prices further on the last day?
    if i get the D200 and subsequently buy lenses, i'll be spending like 4k to 5k?
    why's the manfrotto tripod so sought after? UP. 400++.

  19. #39

    Default Re: New to DSLRs: Pls advise

    The d40 deal looks good with all that freebies thrown in. Though i wonder if most of the stuff are just peripheral??? A second-hand kit w/o all that would cost what, $200 less? Then it seems like a reasonable deal eh...

  20. #40

    Default Re: New to DSLRs: Pls advise

    hi guys, i am a newbie and is also thinking of getting a DSLR... i guess i am more into taking photographs of sceneries etc.... a bit undecided on which one to buy but the models i am looking at is Nikon D80, Canon 40D and the Sony A100... i am leaning towards the Nikon D80, but is hesitating as it does not have the functions of anti-dust and anti-shake which the other 2 model have.... any advice?

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •